The Student Room Group

What chance do i have of getting offers next year with these grades?

Hi,
I'm in year 12 and just got my AS results which were.... pretty bad.

I got :

Economics - B

Maths - B

Physics - C

History - D

I am dropping Physics despite the grade being higher than history and it's too late to change it so please don't suggest that. Will i even have a remote chance of getting an offer for Economics from AAB and ABB universities(e.g. Surrey and Kent) if my predicted grades are AAB-ish as my teachers know i can do much better?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by gusping
Hi,
I'm in year 12 and just got my AS results which were.... pretty bad.

I got :

Economics - B

Maths - B

Physics - C

History - D

I am dropping Physics despite the grade being higher than history and it's too late to change it so please don't suggest that. Will i even have a remote chance of getting an offer for Economics from AAB and ABB universities(e.g. Surrey and Kent) if my predicted grades are AAB-ish as my teachers know i can do much better?

Thanks.

I've moved your thread to the Economics forum so you can benefit from subject specific advice :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Craghyrax
I've moved your thread to the Economics forum so you can benefit from subject specific advice :smile:

Oh sorry, thank you! :smile:
Reply 3
If you can turn the C to a B and one of or both of the Bs to an A(S) then you're gravy.

Work hard, you'll do fine.
Reply 4
Original post by Oasis95
If you can turn the C to a B and one of or both of the Bs to an A(S) then you're gravy.

Work hard, you'll do fine.

But will i actually get offers from them? Good grades are useless without offers from good unis :P
Reply 5
Original post by gusping
Oh sorry, thank you! :smile:

No need to apologise. The general UCAS forum is just super busy today and I thought your specific question might get lost in a flood of other new threads.
Reply 6
Hey of course, you can always resit specific modules to boost the grades, most Unis don't care about resits at all, and if you're willing to work hard you can improve those grades.
Also have a look around at Unis - see what have good courses, where they are in league tables and what grades they want - lots of unis will accept you with the results you have without needing to resit them in your next year, but it's up to you if you want to aim for a more 'prestigious' university.
The best thing you can really do is hit up google :-)
Reply 7
Original post by ameliestia
Hey of course, you can always resit specific modules to boost the grades, most Unis don't care about resits at all, and if you're willing to work hard you can improve those grades.
Also have a look around at Unis - see what have good courses, where they are in league tables and what grades they want - lots of unis will accept you with the results you have without needing to resit them in your next year, but it's up to you if you want to aim for a more 'prestigious' university.
The best thing you can really do is hit up google :-)

But will i get offers from unis with AAB and ABB requirements?
Reply 8
Original post by gusping
But will i get offers from unis with AAB and ABB requirements?

It depends on the uni. Go to open days, talk to the admissions tutors, and explain your situation, that you know you can get better grades and will, and if they will still want you. Some unis will, some won't. You just have to put yourself out there and ask. Maybe try and get some relevant work experience too, so there's more to your application than your grades
Reply 9
Hi gusping,

Your situation is almost identical to my experience last year! My AS results were:
Maths - B
History - B
Economics - C
Physics - C

I also dropped Physics and applied to AAB/ABB universities for Economics. My predicted grades were ABB but after doing well in Economics homework during the first month of A2 I managed to get the head of faculty to up my prediction to AAB.

Your offers will mainly be based on this, although it's difficult to know exactly how much weight other aspects carry: personal statement, teacher statements, past academic achievements etc.

Thankfully I got offers from all five of the universities that I applied to. I firmed Surrey and put Kent as my insurance. Yesterday, I got into Surrey with BBB, despite requiring AAB! Granted, I was very close to getting the two As but nevertheless they essentially let me in having missed by two grades.

As for resits, I retook four exams. Two ended up being largely pointless but the other two were very much worth it. It would appear that resitting in History may be worth it and if you have to go to an interview, providing the impression that you're willing to work hard, resit and improve, may come across well to a university.

In conclusion then, I don't know the full extent of your situation but going on personal experience I would say that you will most likely be fine if your predicted grades are AAB/ABB. Just make sure your personal statement is really good and that you choose universities wisely.

Best of luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Reply 10
I suggest you apply just so that you're in the UCAS system. This allows you to use adjustment and clearing. Work hard in year 13, get those grades up and then use adjustment or clearing on reults day to go to where you want to go. Alot of good unis will take you through adjustment if you have their asking grades.
Reply 11
Original post by TimHugh
Hi gusping,

Your situation is almost identical to my experience last year! My AS results were:
Maths - B
History - B
Economics - C
Physics - C

I also dropped Physics and applied to AAB/ABB universities for Economics. My predicted grades were ABB but after doing well in Economics homework during the first month of A2 I managed to get the head of faculty to up my prediction to AAB.

Your offers will mainly be based on this, although it's difficult to know exactly how much weight other aspects carry: personal statement, teacher statements, past academic achievements etc.

Thankfully I got offers from all five of the universities that I applied to. I firmed Surrey and put Kent as my insurance. Yesterday, I got into Surrey with BBB, despite requiring AAB! Granted, I was very close to getting the two As but nevertheless they essentially let me in having missed by two grades.

As for resits, I retook four exams. Two ended up being largely pointless but the other two were very much worth it. It would appear that resitting in History may be worth it and if you have to go to an interview, providing the impression that you're willing to work hard, resit and improve, may come across well to a university.

In conclusion then, I don't know the full extent of your situation but going on personal experience I would say that you will most likely be fine if your predicted grades are AAB/ABB. Just make sure your personal statement is really good and that you choose universities wisely.

Best of luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Wow, well done. How did u get in Surrey with BBB, did you get that through clearing, and if so, did u apply immediately after you got your results?
Reply 12

Yeah so I put Surrey as my firm choice A few months after getting an offer from them in late 2012 and they required AAB but I only got BBB. I logged on to UCAS and it said straight away that I had been successful so I didn't have to go through any clearing or phone calls which was a relief. I know and have heard of a lot of people this year that missed their grades by one or two but still went to their firm choice so perhaps this year is an exception as to an extent your success depends on whether everyone else did as well or as badly as you did.
Reply 13
Original post by TimHugh

Yeah so I put Surrey as my firm choice A few months after getting an offer from them in late 2012 and they required AAB but I only got BBB. I logged on to UCAS and it said straight away that I had been successful so I didn't have to go through any clearing or phone calls which was a relief. I know and have heard of a lot of people this year that missed their grades by one or two but still went to their firm choice so perhaps this year is an exception as to an extent your success depends on whether everyone else did as well or as badly as you did.

Thanks for your reply. So what grades did you apply to Surrey with and do you think it's worth me applying to the uni?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending