The Student Room Group

Best option for changing course

Hi! So I’ve recently started university and I’m a bit stuck on what to do. Looking for opinions please. I originally applied for mental health nursing as a course. I got an unconditional offer after my interview and all went well. I didn’t achieve the grades required but have been put on a different course. (Mental health, wellbeing and society). I’ve asked teachers about changing course and my best option but seem to be getting told different things. I have now been told my grades weren’t the issue, it is due to the course being full… I have been told I could drop this year and re apply for the course I want next year in hopes I get in. I have also been told I can stay on this current course and ask to change next academic year. However, this is only a possibility that they might take me. There is no specific grade I would need to meet for this to occur.
My concern is I’m doing this course which I do not enjoy at the moment in hopes I get onto my desired course next year. There is no guarantee. I don’t want to get to this time next year and still be stuck. I’m not sure what my best route is. Sticking with it, doing well and potentially getting in or resitting my alevels in hopes my better grades will make me stand a better chance.
Any opinions or similar experiences shared would be greatly appreciated as I feel stuck!!
Original post by SJohnson14!
Hi! So I’ve recently started university and I’m a bit stuck on what to do. Looking for opinions please. I originally applied for mental health nursing as a course. I got an unconditional offer after my interview and all went well. I didn’t achieve the grades required but have been put on a different course. (Mental health, wellbeing and society). I’ve asked teachers about changing course and my best option but seem to be getting told different things. I have now been told my grades weren’t the issue, it is due to the course being full… I have been told I could drop this year and re apply for the course I want next year in hopes I get in. I have also been told I can stay on this current course and ask to change next academic year. However, this is only a possibility that they might take me. There is no specific grade I would need to meet for this to occur.
My concern is I’m doing this course which I do not enjoy at the moment in hopes I get onto my desired course next year. There is no guarantee. I don’t want to get to this time next year and still be stuck. I’m not sure what my best route is. Sticking with it, doing well and potentially getting in or resitting my alevels in hopes my better grades will make me stand a better chance.
Any opinions or similar experiences shared would be greatly appreciated as I feel stuck!!

Hi, it is still very early and I would advise you to consider contacting other universities if they have spaces on their course available now. UCAS Clearing closes on 17th October so you still have time to make an application, or better still contact admissions team at universities who do mental health nursing directly.
Reply 2
Hi thank you for your response. I probably should have mentioned I’m still living at home and I’m not willing to move out for university!
Original post by sashadivachic
Hi, it is still very early and I would advise you to consider contacting other universities if they have spaces on their course available now. UCAS Clearing closes on 17th October so you still have time to make an application, or better still contact admissions team at universities who do mental health nursing directly.
Hey, you're welcome! Is it not possible to travel to other universities near you?
Reply 4
Original post by sashadivachic
Hey, you're welcome! Is it not possible to travel to other universities near you?

I looked at the next nearest universities but they are over two hours away and also aren’t taking on any more students for that course!
When talking to teachers about my options, they didn’t seem very certain of any of the ideas boosting my chances significantly to get in next year 🤦*♀️
Original post by SJohnson14!
I looked at the next nearest universities but they are over two hours away and also aren’t taking on any more students for that course!
When talking to teachers about my options, they didn’t seem very certain of any of the ideas boosting my chances significantly to get in next year 🤦*♀️

Oh no! Sorry to hear that you are going through this :frown: I would speak to the head of mental health nursing, tell them about your situation, and ask if it is possible to change courses next year as you have been told that the spaces are full. Ask them if you will be able to transfer the credits of first year into second year. If they say you will have to start from 1st year, ask them if you have already meet the entry requirements and whether you need to complete a direct application or go through UCAS again
I would not rely on being able to swap courses at the end of the year. I would stick it out until Xmas to ake sure the course wasn't for me, then withdraw and retake AL's.

NB. I would recommend speaking to your personal tutor about your concerns.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending