The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is anybody here ADD / ADHD?

I have never had an evaluation for ADD / ADHD but the more I think about it the more I convince myself that I may have this disorder.

I have always been a restless / fidgety person with a lot of energy but it wasnt really a problem because I went through secondary school without doing much work and achieving quite high (A's + B's). I also took a 'MIDYIS' test in year 7 where I scored over 130 which is considered 'gifted' by the exam board.

However since I got to college (I am in A3 starting september) I have had significant problems in regards to organisation, deadlines, punctuality and exam grades.

I literally cannot do any external revision or work.. my brain simply doesn't let me. I struggle to complete work in lesson even with the teacher pushing me to do so.

Am I being lazy or is it rational to think I may have ADHD?

Some of the traits I have are:

Impulsiveness (I have had a borderline gambling addiction and I am only 18, I have managed to stop gambling as of late though)

excessive daydreaming, tiredness, forget a lot of things

restless, fidgeting, high energy etc

Social anxiety (which is apparently linked to adhd)

disorganised, failure to meet deadlines and punctuality

strong procrastination (never done any proper revision for any exam in my life, I put things off until its too late)

restless legs syndrome (this is apparently linked to ADD)

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Chipwedge
I have never had an evaluation for ADD / ADHD but the more I think about it the more I convince myself that I may have this disorder.

I have always been a restless / fidgety person with a lot of energy but it wasnt really a problem because I went through secondary school without doing much work and achieving quite high (A's + B's). I also took a 'MIDYIS' test in year 7 where I scored over 130 which is considered 'gifted' by the exam board.

However since I got to college (I am in A3 starting september) I have had significant problems in regards to organisation, deadlines, punctuality and exam grades.

I literally cannot do any external revision or work.. my brain simply doesn't let me. I struggle to complete work in lesson even with the teacher pushing me to do so.

Am I being lazy or is it rational to think I may have ADHD?

Some of the traits I have are:

Impulsiveness (I have had a borderline gambling addiction and I am only 18, I have managed to stop gambling as of late though)

excessive daydreaming, tiredness, forget a lot of things

restless, fidgeting, high energy etc

Social anxiety (which is apparently linked to adhd)

disorganised, failure to meet deadlines and punctuality

strong procrastination (never done any proper revision for any exam in my life, I put things off until its too late)

restless legs syndrome (this is apparently linked to ADD)

I've recently been diagnosed with ADHD & my younger sister has it also. I think it is rational to consider that a possibility but no one on here can obviously diagnose it so you'd probably be better off seeing your GP if you're concerned.
Me :'(
The best thing to do is ask about, start with parents/ close friends about their opinion on it. I mean ADHD is noticable so your teachers probably would of picked up on it. And also ADHD dosn't affect intelligence so that is no reason to be against having it!
Original post by YokelBurg
The best thing to do is ask about, start with parents/ close friends about their opinion on it. I mean ADHD is noticable so your teachers probably would of picked up on it. And also ADHD dosn't affect intelligence so that is no reason to be against having it!

That's not completely true. Teachers used to constantly moan at me for not doing enough work or finishing work, failing to complete exams and classed as being "lazy" as I have a short attention span and a butterfly daydreaming memory. I was moved down in sets at high school twice and tested for dyslexia twice, but never thought to be ADHD. I was under CAMHS care for OCD until I reached 17 but then a few years later turned out to be a possible mis-diagnosis - and I was diagnosed with ADHD.
Hi Chipwedge,

To have an ADHD is something special, try first to see your GP and tell em everything what you feel and how it affected you, if ever you have it, you gotta accept it, embrace it, I've been diagnosed with ADHD since 12yo, took meds and a proper diet with regular exercise does me good. for now I've been reading a lot of blog about ADHD to get insights with, it help me in some ways too.
Original post by YokelBurg

The hyperactive type is noticeable. Plenty of people with the inattentive type struggle through life only to be diagnosed in adulthood when their lives fall apart. Or you're like me, you're that inattentive that the teachers do notice your development is behind. But since you switch school every 12-18mo they chalk it up to 'adjusting to the new teaching style'
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
I'm closing this thread cos it's old and that gets confusing. If anybody wants to discuss something similar please feel free to post a new thread. :smile:

Latest