The Student Room Group

A2-AQA GOV4A Politics 10th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320

Original post by Bord3r

I'm genuinely going to miss studying politics though, such an interesting subject.

I'm not going to miss it. I found A2 much more interesting than AS and all the stuff I learnt this year was very useful but Politics is my least favourite subject. (I think my school's teaching may be a significant reason why). I'm glad GOV3A and GOV4A went well though (so relieved).
Original post by ILoveTehran
Constitution was good. I was so happy I learnt the first ten amendments (paraphrased version). Federalism was nice, just talked about everything I knew on federalism really. Though, I can't believe that I forgot to mention about the enumerated powers( I think I forgot) :angry:

I didn't do executive, I did Supreme Court! :smile: And yourself?

Yeah real happy with Constitution question, really easy for synopticity too so all good. Yeah I was going to do SC as A question was nice, but the constraints bit threw me on the B
Reply 322
Original post by adamgraver
Yeah real happy with Constitution question, really easy for synopticity too so all good. Yeah I was going to do SC as A question was nice, but the constraints bit threw me on the B

Ah, I didn't include any synopitic to the UK... but I was happy with my essay so hopefully it should be fine. I love it when they begin with 'asses'
The B question on SC was really weirdly worded but it was quite broad and lots of cases and examples were easy to put in so it was good good :smile:

What was the executive question? I only revised two topics so I didn't even look at the other questions.
Original post by ILoveTehran
Ah, I didn't include any synopitic to the UK... but I was happy with my essay so hopefully it should be fine. I love it when they begin with 'asses'
The B question on SC was really weirdly worded but it was quite broad and lots of cases and examples were easy to put in so it was good good :smile:

What was the executive question? I only revised two topics so I didn't even look at the other questions.

It was something like a popular president is effectively unrestrained so it was fairly straight forward but enough to discuss

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did Constitution and Executive. Thought it was deceptively easy.
Reply 325
So how did everyone do?
Reply 326
Original post by ChrissM
So how did everyone do?

Got mid 80s on both 3A and 4A. I was delighted. :biggrin:
How about you?
Reply 327
Original post by Bord3r
How about you?

Well done! Did you get into uni?

And I did better than I thought! I got 97 on 4A and 96 on 3A! 3A was a resit, I got a D first time round so I'm ecstatic! :smile:
Original post by ChrissM

And I did better than I thought! I got 97 on 4A and 96 on 3A! 3A was a resit, I got a D first time round so I'm ecstatic! :smile:

Well done! I got 93 in 3A but 70 on 4A, I'm still really glad though because I found 4A a lot harder and I didn't even think I'd get 70 at one point!
Reply 329
Original post by ChrissM

Yeah I did, you?

Wow, that's impressive. An A* for you then. :biggrin:
Reply 330
Thanks :smile: And I have to do an extra year at sixth form, didn't take all the right subjects first time, so uni next year (hopefully)! Do you mind me asking where you're going/what you're studying?
Reply 331
Original post by pink pineapple
Well done! I got 93 in 3A but 70 on 4A, I'm still really glad though because I found 4A a lot harder and I didn't even think I'd get 70 at one point!

Well done! Did you manage to get an A overall?
Original post by ChrissM
Well done! Did you manage to get an A overall?

No, I got a B but I got a D at AS so I'm really pleased with a B overall :smile:
Reply 333
Original post by ChrissM
Thanks :smile: And I have to do an extra year at sixth form, didn't take all the right subjects first time, so uni next year (hopefully)! Do you mind me asking where you're going/what you're studying?

Ah okay fair enough.

I'm off to do Medicine at Cardiff. :smile:
Reply 334
Original post by Bord3r
Ah okay fair enough.

I'm off to do Medicine at Cardiff. :smile:

Wow! Well done!
Reply 335
Original post by ChrissM
So how did everyone do?

Original post by Bord3r
How about you?

Hi,

Firstly, I would like to congratulate you on your results and uni places :smile:
I done this exam as well, but only managed a low B for 3A and same goes for unit 4A. I worked really hard and I'm quite disappointed that I didn't even get close to the A margin. Are there any tips or advice you guys can give me? Also, if any of you happen to have any A grade essay answers that I can look at, that would also be great.

Thanks
Original post by Nerd2
Hi,

Firstly, I would like to congratulate you on your results and uni places :smile:
I done this exam as well, but only managed a low B for 3A and same goes for unit 4A. I worked really hard and I'm quite disappointed that I didn't even get close to the A margin. Are there any tips or advice you guys can give me? Also, if any of you happen to have any A grade essay answers that I can look at, that would also be great.

Thanks

hi, I think one of the reasons why I got a really good grade in 3A was because of how well my points were explained and analysed. For example, if you say something is significant, say why it is. Picking out the 'discriminator' in the title ( the words like 'too' and 'so') really helps with writing a consistent answer.
And examples definitely, I remember my teacher saying for every explained point, you need an example that's relevant. The more recent the better, you can find loads of information on the internet (the Washington post is really good for articles on anything to do with US politics, my teacher gave us loads of articles throughout the year from there). Also, statistics are important, especially in a topic like voting behaviour also quotes that were relevant to the question, from political commentators or what Supreme Court judge might've said. Feel free to message me about anything else. Good luck!
Reply 337
hi, I think one of the reasons why I got a really good grade in 3A was because of how well my points were explained and analysed. For example, if you say something is significant, say why it is. Picking out the 'discriminator' in the title ( the words like 'too' and 'so') really helps with writing a consistent answer.
And examples definitely, I remember my teacher saying for every explained point, you need an example that's relevant. The more recent the better, you can find loads of information on the internet (the Washington post is really good for articles on anything to do with US politics, my teacher gave us loads of articles throughout the year from there). Also, statistics are important, especially in a topic like voting behaviour also quotes that were relevant to the question, from political commentators or what Supreme Court judge might've said. Feel free to message me about anything else. Good luck!

Thank you, that's great advice. I haven't been on the Washington Post before, I'm definitely going to check that out, I felt as though statistics and examples was one of the things I was lacking, the ones in my book were old, so I'm sure new and thus more relevant examples will be easier to explain and remember.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 338
Original post by Nerd2
Hi,

Thanks

The best advice I could give would be to do loads of revision. In the weeks leading up to the exams I was spending 9/10 hours a day in isolation just making revision cards so I was prepared for almost anything they could ask. I know it's sounds awful, and it was, but it was easily worth it. I'd also advise doing some extra reading, I read "The Nine" by Jeffrey Toobin, which is about the SC. I'd recommend it if you're resitting. I've got an A grade essay I did for homework, I'll upload that as soon as I can find it. I hope this helped and if you've any other questions feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 339
Original post by ChrissM
The best advice I could give would be to do loads of revision. In the weeks leading up to the exams I was spending 9/10 hours a day in isolation just making revision cards so I was prepared for almost anything they could ask. I know it's sounds awful, and it was, but it was easily worth it. I'd also advise doing some extra reading, I read "The Nine" by Jeffrey Toobin, which is about the SC. I'd recommend it if you're resitting. I've got an A grade essay I did for homework, I'll upload that as soon as I can find it. I hope this helped and if you've any other questions feel free to ask :smile:

Thank you that's brilliant advice! I really do need to do some extra reading, so I will take a look at the "The Nine". That A grade essay would be really helpful, as I have never seen an A grade answer before, so I don't know what an A grade requires of candidates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending