The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Question about Moonraker Point

Hi there! I'm an international undergraduate student who has been offered accommodation at Moonraker point (studio). Since's it's pretty pricey I'd really like to know what I'll be getting into.

Just wondering if anyone can help. If you've stayed at Moonraker point/know someone who has stayed there/been around there

-I'm going to be studying at Guy's Campus and from my research it's roughly a 15 minute walk from Moonraker. Is the area safe to walk around? Especially for girl? How about when it gets dark/late

-Are there any places to get food/groceries nearby Moonraker Point? Or convenience stores to get everyday items.

-From my research there seems to be a train station opposite the building. I'm wondering if it would cause any noise.

-How's the social interaction there? Hoping to meet some friends who live in the same building! If you've been assigned a room there too do drop by and say hi!

If anyone could answer any of my questions or give their opinion I would be extremely grateful. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

I've been offered accommodation at Moonraker point as well but I'm going to be in a cluster flat I think, I'm still not even aware of what I'll be paying but have been asked to pay a deposit of £300 so I can't be much help with that sorry :frown:

There is a feed from last year about Moonrakers which has some information about the rooms and sizes:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2089918
thats the link for it.

There will be places everywhere in London to get food and stuff and if you go on Google maps it should give you an idea of how close they are.

As for the noise there probably will be some as in London its kind of unavoidable but the trains don't run at night until 5am, but I doubt it will be too loud (I hope!)

I believe that the Guy's campus is about a ten minute walk away so not too far. For girls it should be pretty safe, but obviously be sensible and take precautions, always have a phone with you and don't walk around after dark with headphones in, basic stuff like that.

To be honest I'm pretty happy as its a good central location and should be good fun!

If you have anymore questions I'd be happy to try and help :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Hi it's nice to meet you :biggrin: Anyway thanks for your input! Really appreciate it!
Cluster flats are around 190 pounds for a week or so I think if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for the link to the thread I've read it and it has some pretty good information about the place, but was hoping I could get others opinions.

According to Google maps there's a saintsbury on Union Street and a Marks and Spencers some way up north, would be great if there were others that are even nearer but otherwise that's alright with me.

And thank you for the safety info, definitely safety precautions would have to be taken anywhere.

Just curious btw but which course will you be taking? Postgraduate or undergraduate? Hope to see you around at moonraker then :smile:
No worries :smile:

OK cool thanks, yeah I thought it would be about that. I know living in London is going to be pricey.

The nearest supermarkets I've found are the same and there is also a Costcutter on Union Street, Sainsbury's will definitely be the cheapest out of those three and is probably the best for a weekly shop.

Yeah its just common sense really, but my dad works in London and he said its not a bad area so I wouldn't worry too much, just when its dark make sure you have your wits about you. London is generally OK to be honest, as there are always plenty of people around. I go there for most of my nights out at the moment and I've always been fine. I would say though if you do go out and need to get home late try and take the tube but if its not running then make sure you take a cab that you have booked as some can be a bit dodgy. Definitely use the Transport for London website to get cab numbers, or take a London cab (the big black ones) you won't need to book these as they are all regulated and are the safest ones to get.

I'm going to be studying undergraduate English Literature and Language. Cannot wait I'm so happy I got into King's! What course are you studying? Where are you coming from?

Yeah definitely! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
I've also been allocated Moonraker Point :smile:

I've never lived in London but I visit the city a lot - the area around Moonraker Point is really nice as it's quite close to the Thames and to the Southbank (visit Borough Market the first chance you get!). As with any city, there's plenty of supermarkets/small shops to buy food etc in, so don't worry about that. In terms of walking around at night I think you'll be fine as it's the centre of London and the city doesn't really sleep :wink: Just be careful as you would walking in the dark anywhere really. Oh and you'll soon get used to the tube noise, but I doubt it will be very loud :smile:
Reply 5
Oh undergraduate English literature and language that sounds so cool! :biggrin: I'm doing undergraduate medicine. Yes King's is a great uni I still can't believe that I actually got in haha. I'm from Malaysia :smile:

Thanks for the transport advice and the one on supermarkets. I'll for sure take a look around when I get there to see which ones are the most convenient/better values. Google maps is slightly outdated about the area I think as Moonraker Point is still under construction on it so hopefully they'll be more shops and amenities around there.

Original post by milliconcarne
I've also been allocated Moonraker Point :smile:

I've never lived in London but I visit the city a lot - the area around Moonraker Point is really nice as it's quite close to the Thames and to the Southbank (visit Borough Market the first chance you get!). As with any city, there's plenty of supermarkets/small shops to buy food etc in, so don't worry about that. In terms of walking around at night I think you'll be fine as it's the centre of London and the city doesn't really sleep :wink: Just be careful as you would walking in the dark anywhere really. Oh and you'll soon get used to the tube noise, but I doubt it will be very loud :smile:

Hello there fellow Moonraker resident :biggrin: Are you planning the accept the room offer?
Thanks for answering my questions! Excited to visit Borough Market as I've heard load of people saying that I should visit
Original post by AmiAma811

Hello there fellow Moonraker resident :biggrin: Are you planning the accept the room offer?
Thanks for answering my questions! Excited to visit Borough Market as I've heard load of people saying that I should visit

Hia! :smile:
Yes, it was my first choice so I'm happy I got it! I suppose I will probably see you around in about 4 weeks! Aw, you're most welcome :smile:
Borough Market is amazing - it won't disappoint!
Reply 7

Hia!
Yes, it was my first choice so I'm happy I got it! I suppose I will probably see you around in about 4 weeks! Aw, you're most welcome
Borough Market is amazing - it won't disappoint!

Well in that case I hope I'll be seeing you there too :biggrin: What course are you taking?
Reply 8
Hi everyone! I've been given an ensuite room at moonraker point :smile:
I'll be doing undergraduate medicine too!
Hope to see you all there!

PS. When I log into my unite account, it says all my flatmates/neighbours are smokers - but I'm not a smoker! Has anybody else found this too? I'm wondering if it's just a glitch, because I don't remember having the option to say if I smoke or don't.
Reply 9
Hi! I will also be at Moonraker Point. Anyone in flat 145?
Well in that case I hope I'll be seeing you there too :biggrin: What course are you taking?

Theology :biggrin: you?

Original post by Flax
Hi! I will also be at Moonraker Point. Anyone in flat 145?

I'm in 147, so I expect we'll be on the same floor (maybe) :wink:
Reply 11
Hi everyone, congratulations on getting accepted :smile: Im moving into Moonraker, is anyone near flat 099? I don't know anyone in London so could do with a friendly face to see around :smile:
Reply 12
Theology :biggrin: you?

I'm in 147, so I expect we'll be on the same floor (maybe) :wink:

Yes maybe! How many are you in your flat? 8?
Original post by Flax
Yes maybe! How many are you in your flat? 8?

I think so, yes - my account on the Unite website lists 7 other flatmates :smile:
Is there 8 in yours, too?
Reply 14
Original post by jenny135
Hi everyone, congratulations on getting accepted :smile: Im moving into Moonraker, is anyone near flat 099? I don't know anyone in London so could do with a friendly face to see around :smile:

Hey :smile: I'm in studio room 095 so I guess we're near haha! What course are you doing? :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I think so, yes - my account on the Unite website lists 7 other flatmates :smile:

Yes there is. I think Moonraker Point sounds great, can't wait to move in!:smile:
Reply 16

Hey sorry for the random question but does it say that all your flatmates are smokers? Or is that just on mine... Would really appreciate a reply because I'm a non-smoker so getting a bit worried haha.
Reply 17
hiya! Just got confirmation that I'm staying there in a few weeks for biomedical sciences at kings! So excited!!! Can't wait to meet everyone but question - when do we / are you getting to moonraker - like what's the first day we have to go there? No clue!
Also, do we need to buy pots and pans and Shiz? I'm in an ensuite so sharing a kitchen obvs :smile:
eeeekk so excited!!!!
Hi there! I'm an international undergraduate student who has been offered accommodation at Moonraker point (studio). Since's it's pretty pricey I'd really like to know what I'll be getting into.

Just wondering if anyone can help. If you've stayed at Moonraker point/know someone who has stayed there/been around there

-I'm going to be studying at Guy's Campus and from my research it's roughly a 15 minute walk from Moonraker. Is the area safe to walk around? Especially for girl? How about when it gets dark/late

-Are there any places to get food/groceries nearby Moonraker Point? Or convenience stores to get everyday items.

-From my research there seems to be a train station opposite the building. I'm wondering if it would cause any noise.

-How's the social interaction there? Hoping to meet some friends who live in the same building! If you've been assigned a room there too do drop by and say hi!

If anyone could answer any of my questions or give their opinion I would be extremely grateful. :smile:

i volunteer next to moonraker point and the train station is definitley not opposite. Southwark station is round the corner though the train line does run nearby. I can't hear anything from the building I'm in. Never walked round it at night but during the day its perfectly safe, the area is full of professionals and tourists.
Original post by Flax
Yes there is. I think Moonraker Point sounds great, can't wait to move in!:smile:

Me too! :smile:

Original post by *hen
Hey sorry for the random question but does it say that all your flatmates are smokers? Or is that just on mine... Would really appreciate a reply because I'm a non-smoker so getting a bit worried haha.

All mine say 'non-smoker', but as you're not allowed to smoke in the building it shouldn't matter :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest