The Student Room Group

Is this good course for Economics/Career path?

Looking to go into Investment Banking or stockbroking as a career and was wondering if the course I was looking to do (Industrial Economics at Nottingham), would be suitable and viable for getting into one of these careers or a job in the city of london? Is it seen as a good uni and would it be better than taking straight Econ at Lancaster to get into the city.

I really appreciate any feedback. Cheers
Reply 1
Original post by h.b123
Looking to go into Investment Banking or stockbroking as a career and was wondering if the course I was looking to do (Industrial Economics at Nottingham), would be suitable and viable for getting into one of these careers or a job in the city of london? Is it seen as a good uni and would it be better than taking straight Econ at Lancaster to get into the city.

I really appreciate any feedback. Cheers

It would be really difficult to break into IB if you're not graduating from Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, Warwick, UCL.
Reply 2
Original post by Lunch_Box
It would be really difficult to break into IB if you're not graduating from Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, Warwick, UCL.

Imperial don't offer Economics. Surely an Econ degree from Nottingham would give you greater chance of getting into IB than a non-Econ course at Imperial.
Reply 3
Original post by uttamo
Imperial don't offer Economics. Surely an Econ degree from Nottingham would give you greater chance of getting into IB than a non-Econ course at Imperial.

Not necessarily, IB banks tend to recruit mathematics grads from Imperial.
Reply 4
Original post by uttamo

IBs recruit from many disciplines like maths, econ, physics, engineering, chemistry, etc... Science graduates from Imperial are very employable so they employ from there.
Reply 5
Original post by *mike
Not necessarily, IB banks tend to recruit mathematics grads from Imperial.

Original post by Lunch_Box
IBs recruit from many disciplines like maths, econ, physics, engineering, chemistry, etc... Science graduates from Imperial are very employable so they employ from there.

Oh yeah of course, ignore me I'm just being ignorant lol
Lancaster although fairly well respected in general league tables, isn't a target or even a semi-target for Investment Banks. From the interviews I have been to in investment banks I have never seen a Lancaster student not saying it doesn't happen it is just very rare. Nottingham on the other hand is a semi-target university and I know a few people from Nottingham at investment banks. Nottingham will give you the best chance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending