The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield Economics graduate - ask me anything :-D

Hey everyone, I graduated from the University of Sheffield (Economics, 2:1) a couple of years ago, and am in the process of applying for a Master's degree (so I've re-discovered TSR).

If anyone has any questions about the University of Sheffield, the city itself, or Economics courses - please ask away (I'd be really happy to help)!
Reply 1
Hi! I applied for Math and Econ (undergrad) and got an offer for 2023 Fall. I’m just genuinely interested in how potential career paths are like and whether it is easy to apply to Cambridge masters (as it is my dream school for masters). Thank you!
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Hey! Congratulations on your offer - Maths and Economics is a great combination! The skills you will acquire on this course will open up many excellent careers and make you highly employable in the labour market. Sheffield is an excellent university and a really nice city to live in :-)

For a masters, I would say the most important thing is to ensure you get consistently high grades throughout your course. Even though first year does not count towards your final result, other universities will ask for your transcript (list of grades achieved) when you apply for a postgraduate course. It is therefore important to get both a good final degree classification (e.g. 2.1 or First) , and good marks in each assessment along the way. I know several people who got offers from Oxford and Cambridge for postgraduate study after completing their undergraduate at Sheffield. Again, the most important thing is to get consistently high grades throughout.

Hope this helps!
Awww thank you so much! This just helped a lot of my panic issues haha. I do also have a question about student accommodation: Does international students have to stay in a student accommodation/hall for their first year? Thanks again:smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Awww thank you so much! This just helped a lot of my panic issues haha. I do also have a question about student accommodation: Does international students have to stay in a student accommodation/hall for their first year? Thanks again:smile:

Hi, I am a current student at Sheffield. You do not need to stay in student accommodation if you do not want to. I would say the majority of first years do, however I know a lot of people who didn't. It is up to your personal preference!
Original post by Anonymous

No you do not have to stay in student accommodation, you can choose where you live. The university halls are really good for making friends, though. Other alternatives would be private halls (like Unite), or student houses.
Original post by sheffield-made
Hey everyone, I graduated from the University of Sheffield (Economics, 2:1) a couple of years ago, and am in the process of applying for a Master's degree (so I've re-discovered TSR).

If anyone has any questions about the University of Sheffield, the city itself, or Economics courses - please ask away (I'd be really happy to help)

Hey, even though you've mentioned that you are an economics graduate from the University of Sheffield, I wanted to clear up a doubt of mine regarding the career prospects of an MSC Accounting and Finance graduate from the University of Sheffield.
I've received an offer for the same and as the deadline for deposit is 28th Feb, I would be really grateful if you could help me with my query, by letting me know if any of your batchmates who studied the same course were able to land a successful job in finance/accounting/investment banking industry?
Hiya! Just wanted an overview of your opinion on teaching staff and quality/support. I've had good first impressions so far but I'm still swaying between Manchester and Sheffield. The higher ranking of Manchester and it's connections are currently a large factor in my decision for future prospects. Is there any reason not to pick Sheffield? How is the city life? (Btw I'm applying for BSC economics).
Reply 8
Good luck with your masters. I’d like to ask if you would know how quantitive the BA Economics degree is at Sheffield? I know it’s a more ‘applied economics’ pathway according to the u I literature. I’m studying Economics, History & Geography and got a 7 in GCSE Maths. Really enjoy Economics but as I don’t have Maths A level it’s only BA degrees I can apply for. There’s also Business Management & Economics at Sheffield. Any advice gratefully received.
Original post by sheffield-made

If anyone has any questions about the University of Sheffield, the city itself, or Economics courses - please ask away (I'd be really happy to help)!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending