The Student Room Group

A Level combination

Hi all I have some A levels I am interested in but I don't know what combination of subjects to do.
I am thinking about:
History, Maths, Economics, Psychology, English Language, and Philosophy. I am as equally interested in all subjects but obviously I can only do 4 at most. Any advice on what combination of 3 or 4 of these would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Maths, History, English language for sure
Coin toss on psychology/philosophy

If I were you I'd break it down to possible career paths. As a hopefully soon to be accounting & finance major I can tell you that having an economics A-level isn't mandatory for any finance related courses and maths will suffice for all your universities. So you can rule econ out and take maths which I think is the better choice.

From what I've seen in the universities I've researched myself, Psychology and philosophy courses don't require you to take psychology/phil and they'll typically ask one from maths, pysch, biology, english lang so maths and eng lang are no-brainers here.

History I think is a subject you should take as career paths into it typically require it at A-lvl.

Check out psych and phil and see which one will be easier to get a higher grade for you and maybe pick that one if you're truly equally interested. They aren't requirements if you want to study them beyond school but maybe studying psych will clarify if thats the area you like the most and help you in decision-making later on.

Hope this helped and good luck choosing A-levels!

Quick Reply

Latest