The Student Room Group

*DENTISTRY - AS Results Day 2013*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by orange.bananna
I think a gap year would be preferable over resitting year 12 - as a gap year would mean that you can apply to any university. However you have to decide if you think you can get your grades up to 3As in a year!

Well done on your AS grades! Keep up the hard work. Ensure you have enough work experience and voluntary work/extra-curricular activities. Sit the UKCAT. Write a good personal statement... and you should be fine :biggrin:

Are you dropping or carrying on with Physics? If you're dropping it, make sure the uni's you apply to are happy with a B at AS :smile:

I'm dropping physics, I think I have got enough work experience. Also, I'm thinking of just applying to the non UKCAT universities (to save myself the hassle of doing UKCAT). Would you advice that?
I think a gap year would be preferable over resitting year 12 - as a gap year would mean that you can apply to any university. However you have to decide if you think you can get your grades up to 3As in a year!

Ah could you go into more detail how a gap year is better, if you don't mind?:smile:
PLEASE HELP
today I got my as level results I got ABC, I'm happy apart from my C in chemistry. I want to be a pharmacist and can't do pharmacy with a C I really need a B so I'm planning on resitting my ISA and my summer exam. I need to know how likly it is that a university will want to give me a place based on these results. If my teachers say I'm predicted a b in chemistry will the universities accept me???
Pleaee help me I'm freaking out and I'm worried I won't get accepted into university!!!
HELPP
In my chemistry isa I got 35/50 which is 70% yet te exam board have converted this into 21/60 can which is 42% can someone please explain how those is even possible???
Original post by Shaadi Baba
Thanks for the speedy reply. :smile:

Would you recommend certain universities which I could apply to that don't place as much importance on AS grades than others?

I'm not really sure if there are any universities that are specifically known for placing importance on AS grades. So I can't really help you there sorry!

Original post by Hardworker?
I'm dropping physics, I think I have got enough work experience. Also, I'm thinking of just applying to the non UKCAT universities (to save myself the hassle of doing UKCAT). Would you advice that?

If you're happy just applying to non-UKCAT universities then I don't see a problem with that. It's really up to you - doing the UKCAT gives you more choice about where to apply :smile:

Original post by TheMelonLord
Ah could you go into more detail how a gap year is better, if you don't mind?:smile:

If it's taken 3 years to do your a-levels this can often be seen as a hindrance to your application- majority of applicants complete their a-levels within 2 years and unless you have extenuating circumstances it'll hard to be accepted as a resit candidate, but if you choose to take a gap year do more work experience/travel/do whatever you want to do/apply with your grades, universities can see that you've chosen to do this! If you know what I mean - ultimately you have to do whatever you need to do to get 3As and only you can decide what that is :smile:
Original post by HelpmepleaseSOS
PLEASE HELP
today I got my as level results I got ABC, I'm happy apart from my C in chemistry. I want to be a pharmacist and can't do pharmacy with a C I really need a B so I'm planning on resitting my ISA and my summer exam. I need to know how likly it is that a university will want to give me a place based on these results. If my teachers say I'm predicted a b in chemistry will the universities accept me???
Pleaee help me I'm freaking out and I'm worried I won't get accepted into university!!!

This is the dentistry forum - you might get more help in the pharmacy section :smile:
Biology- A
Mathematics- A
Psychology- A
Chemistry- B

SO gutted about my B :frown: would my application for dentistry still be considered?
Reply 27
Hiya just wondering when the websites say AAA 'in one sitting' does that mean within the two years or does that mean they don't like module resits as well? Thanks!
Original post by PeaceLovePink
Biology- A
Mathematics- A
Psychology- A
Chemistry- B

SO gutted about my B :frown: would my application for dentistry still be considered?

If you're predicted an A at A2 for Chemistry you should be fine :smile:

Original post by Wintabix
Hiya just wondering when the websites say AAA 'in one sitting' does that mean within the two years or does that mean they don't like module resits as well? Thanks!

Module resits are fine as long as they are within the two years :yep:
For my AS I got
A - Psychology
B - Biology (high B)
B - Chemistry (scraped a B)
B - Maths (high B)
Do I have any chance of getting into dentistry?? I am so upset with my results, people seem to be worrying with three As and a B, so you can imagine how worried I am... Non-academic wise I feel quite confident because I've done 6 weeks of work experience in a variety of dental environments, I'm also about to start volunteering at a local hospital. I play golf and tennis weekly or even more often when I have time and I'm doing my grade 8 piano this Winter. I'll stop here because I don't want to bore you guys with a whole list of things I've done which are probably not that great anyway... But any advice from previous dental applicants would be very appreciated, thaaaanks!
Reply 30
I would really like to dentistry at university.
These are the grades I got in my AS.
Biology A
Chemistry A
Maths A
Psychology C (dropping) but I am going to get it re-marked.

For my GCSE's I got:
Maths A*
Biology B
Chemistry A
Physics A
French B
RS B
Geography B
Eng Lan/Lit B/B
Art B
RMT B

I have looked into the requirements required by all the uni's and have considered applying to 4 out of the 5 uni's:
Plymouth
Glasgow
Cardiff
Leeds
Dundee

Do I have a chance....? and does anyone know what UKCAT score, I would need to get in order to be considered????
This thread is for all those wanting to apply for Dentistry in September 2014 who received their AS results today.

If you got the grades you wanted well done!! If you didn’t do quite as well as you would have liked, speak to your teachers when you go back to school. Try and work out where you went wrong/how you could improve. Don’t forget that it’s not the end of the world there is the opportunity to re-sit just try and learn how to improve from the experience!

Feel free to use this thread to congratulate and offer advice to other fellow applicants now that you’ve received your year 12 grades!

i was hoping to get grades i wanted but i fudged yup doubt i stand a chance:frown:
Reply 32
would I still be able to get an offer for dentistry even though I'm planning to repeat my AS-level year, I got BBBC and I needed AAAB for Kings, Queen Mary's etc someone please reply! xo
Hi for my AS results I got:

Maths: A
Chemistry: B
Biology: C
Physics: C

I'm planning on dropping physics but still resitting my AS modules for it.
Is it worth me applying for dentistry with these grades? Realistically what predicted grades am I looking at and what Dental schools can I apply to with these grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by number1jjga
For my AS I got
A - Psychology
B - Biology (high B)
B - Chemistry (scraped a B)
B - Maths (high B)
Do I have any chance of getting into dentistry?? I am so upset with my results, people seem to be worrying with three As and a B, so you can imagine how worried I am... Non-academic wise I feel quite confident because I've done 6 weeks of work experience in a variety of dental environments, I'm also about to start volunteering at a local hospital. I play golf and tennis weekly or even more often when I have time and I'm doing my grade 8 piano this Winter. I'll stop here because I don't want to bore you guys with a whole list of things I've done which are probably not that great anyway... But any advice from previous dental applicants would be very appreciated, thaaaanks!

Hi there, I was just looking on tsr and I read this post and I could totally relate to it as it is a near mirror image of what my situation was. After my results in the summer of AS year I was on BBBB, with at worst 17 marks off an A in my chemistry, I was absolutely gutted and was sure that I would not be predicted AAA to apply (for dentistry). But then I went into my college, spoke to all my teachers and really convinced them I could do it, in the end to my delight I got predicted 3 A's and applied to university.

I worked really hard in second year, completely changed my revision style and managed to get A's in all 7 exams I did in June and now I'm going to study dentistry at Cardiff in September, so trust me don't get down you can really do it :smile:

and p.s I had MUCH less work experience than you (2 weeks) and an allriggghttt UKCAT but I hated that anyway!!
OKay my turn,

Well i got ABBB
Maths: A - 274/300
Chemistry: B - 238/300 2UMS/1raw mark off an overall A
History: B - 158/200 2UMS/1raw mark off an overall A
Biology: B - middle b grade

Now i wanna get a remark for chem and history.
Best case scenario is i get remarked and end up with AAAB but im dropping history. so ill have AAB to take to a2 and hopefully predicted A*AA
worst case scenario is i still have ABBB and i take ABB to A2 and get predicted A*AA

I havent done any work experience whatsoever but i have loads to come after the UCAS deadline of october 15.

So will my AS grades be enough, and could i write my plans for work experience or should i bull**** that ive done it before hand then if i get interviews i will have done the placements.

the unis im thinking of applying are: Birmingham, leeds, liverpool, bristol and plymouth all of which non UKCAT. but ill look at others and sit my UKCAT in september too.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Reply 36
Original post by V10Matt
Hi there, I was just looking on tsr and I read this post and I could totally relate to it as it is a near mirror image of what my situation was. After my results in the summer of AS year I was on BBBB, with at worst 17 marks off an A in my chemistry, I was absolutely gutted and was sure that I would not be predicted AAA to apply (for dentistry). But then I went into my college, spoke to all my teachers and really convinced them I could do it, in the end to my delight I got predicted 3 A's and applied to university.

I worked really hard in second year, completely changed my revision style and managed to get A's in all 7 exams I did in June and now I'm going to study dentistry at Cardiff in September, so trust me don't get down you can really do it :smile:

and p.s I had MUCH less work experience than you (2 weeks) and an allriggghttt UKCAT but I hated that anyway!!

What UKCAT score did you get if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Original post by Joey Tribbiani
OKay my turn,

Well i got ABBB
Maths: A - 274/300
Chemistry: B - 238/300 2UMS/1raw mark off an overall A
History: B - 158/200 2UMS/1raw mark off an overall A
Biology: B - middle b grade

Now i wanna get a remark for chem and history.
Best case scenario is i get remarked and end up with AAAB but im dropping history. so ill have AAB to take to a2 and hopefully predicted A*AA
worst case scenario is i still have ABBB and i take ABB to A2 and get predicted A*AA

I havent done any work experience whatsoever but i have loads to come after the UCAS deadline of october 15.

So will my AS grades be enough, and could i write my plans for work experience or should i bull**** that ive done it before hand then if i get interviews i will have done the placements.

the unis im thinking of applying are: Birmingham, leeds, liverpool, bristol and plymouth all of which non UKCAT. but ill look at others and sit my UKCAT in september too.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I suggest you become a pharmacist, it'll be your best option, but not any sort of pharmacist.
It seems like you like taking risks but like the shortcut way too.
If you become a street pharmacist, you won't need a degree and it's very risky :biggrin:
Original post by The Awesome 1
I suggest you become a pharmacist, it'll be your best option, but not any sort of pharmacist.
It seems like you like taking risks but like the shortcut way too.
If you become a street pharmacist, you won't need a degree and it's very risky :biggrin:

i think that was the most pointless reply ever...
Reply 39
So friggin depressed after the results day .Didn't expect my parents to be so supportive though , its the second time i repeated a/s and i just dont get what the examiner actually wants from our answers i got an E for chem n bio and a U AGAIN for physics ! If anyone could help me out n give me a few advices and tips on how to answer questions , revision, etc id be really thankful . Does it have anything to do with the fact that i get nervous ( A LLLLLOOOOOOTTTT) before every exams , the fear of failing actually made me fail :frown: i wanted to be a dentist too, i just love how dentistry is like a mixture of arts n science . But then my friggin a/s results is the wall amd a biiiiiiiiiggg one :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest