The Student Room Group

Current medics: Have you been studying over summer?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by chernij
I'm starting clinicals in September, so the week before I start I'll be looking up the relevant work to prevent looking like an idiot on the wards.

Lol, you will still end up looking like an idiot on the wards at some point, no amount of reading can prevent that!
Original post by Helenia
Lol, you will still end up looking like an idiot on the wards at some point, no amount of reading can prevent that!

I may as well give up then :p:
as if.

this is well deserved break!
Reply 23
planned to read up and refresh after BSc as I'm going back into final year but.... nope. Does buying cheap books count?
Reply 24
Original post by malaz_197
planned to read up and refresh after BSc as I'm going back into final year but.... nope. Does buying cheap books count?

Only if you read them
Reply 25
Original post by Baines_22
Only if you read them

they're still in the amazon package I'm afraid
Nope. Summative exams are terrifying enough that it forces me to want as long a holiday as possible filled with as many non-course related things as possible. Plus, there's plenty of time within the academic year to study - once you're actually taught the material...
As a GP I recommend that med students enjoy their long holidays whilst they have them. You have years of studying and work ahead of you. Come back refreshed and enthusiastic. We only had a couple of long holidays anyway as once we started clinical attachments the summer holidays shrunk dramatically. Now I'm planning a 4 week holiday next November which is the longest I'll have been away for over 20 years as we've decided to allow each other a 4 week holiday every 5 years (rather than the usual 2 week maximum) as long as the absent partner pays for a locum for 2 of the weeks (we're also allowing that partner 2 extra weeks off so they aren't stressed out the rest of the year)
Reply 28
Original post by cmkable
god no

Lies! Who's the one continuously posting medical stuff on fb?! :P
Reply 29
I've never worked over the summer. Why waste the holiday you have making the year seem EVEN longer than it actually is?! I'm glad to have a break from it all. I don't think working now will really make me a better person, makes much more sense to do the work at a relevant time.
Reply 30
Original post by tomtom415

It´s all unrelated to what we´re doing! And anyway, tis not me that is planning on reading a textbook before we even get back! :P
Reply 31
Original post by tomtom415

Original post by cmkable
It´s all unrelated to what we´re doing! And anyway, tis not me that is planning on reading a textbook before we even get back! :P

You two disappoint me. You should be funnelling your efforts into whizz practice for being COs!
Original post by tpxvs
-

I haven't personally done any but I don't judge those who have. We all do what we have to do to get through the course and if studying up a bit during summer gives someone a running start then so be it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending