The Student Room Group

Is it too late in the year/UCAS application cycle to choose medicine?

I'm in year 12 currently, and for the past few months i have been set on applying for physics (I do maths physics chem a-levels). I have recently started a week of work exp at the medical physics department of a local hospital, since I wanted to work in the medical field after my degree, and medical physics seemed like a good option for me. However, I have since realised that i prefer the role of a doctor (more patient involvement, responsibility etc.) so am thinking about applying for med. I have a few odd things here and there i could mention in my personal statement, i.e. tutoring primary school age children and volunteering as an academic mentor in school. I could probably also mention current work exp. Is it too late to have a well rounded application? I would need to prepare for UCAT (perhaps BMAT) also. Has anyone been in a similar position/have any advice?
Original post by username7380
I'm in year 12 currently, and for the past few months i have been set on applying for physics (I do maths physics chem a-levels). I have recently started a week of work exp at the medical physics department of a local hospital, since I wanted to work in the medical field after my degree, and medical physics seemed like a good option for me. However, I have since realised that i prefer the role of a doctor (more patient involvement, responsibility etc.) so am thinking about applying for med. I have a few odd things here and there i could mention in my personal statement, i.e. tutoring primary school age children and volunteering as an academic mentor in school. I could probably also mention current work exp. Is it too late to have a well rounded application? I would need to prepare for UCAT (perhaps BMAT) also. Has anyone been in a similar position/have any advice?

Hi,
It sounds like you have really thought about your options, and you do still have a reasonable amount of relevant experience. It will be harder to build up your application and prepare for the exams but you do have time. Focus on the parts that you need to work on and if you decide that it is medicine that you want to do for definite then go for it. You can always put physics as your fifth option or apply through clearing if you need to. You have plenty of options, so you might as well go for what you want.
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)
Reply 2
thank you! hoping to volunteer + get relevant work exp as well as prepare for UCAT over summer!
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi,
It sounds like you have really thought about your options, and you do still have a reasonable amount of relevant experience. It will be harder to build up your application and prepare for the exams but you do have time. Focus on the parts that you need to work on and if you decide that it is medicine that you want to do for definite then go for it. You can always put physics as your fifth option or apply through clearing if you need to. You have plenty of options, so you might as well go for what you want.
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)
thank you! hoping to volunteer + get relevant work exp as well as prepare for UCAT over summer!

Sounds like a perfect plan!
I wish you luck with all of it!
Let me know if you have any questions,
Evie
Reply 4
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Sounds like a perfect plan!
I wish you luck with all of it!
Let me know if you have any questions,
Evie

Hi Evie,
do you think online volunteering on 7 cups would be sufficient to be "volunteering in a caring role"? (i.e. talking to people online when they feel they don't have anyone else to talk to); I won't be able to go anywhere in person since I will be in a different country pretty much the whole of summer. Thanks!
Hi Evie,
do you think online volunteering on 7 cups would be sufficient to be "volunteering in a caring role"? (i.e. talking to people online when they feel they don't have anyone else to talk to); I won't be able to go anywhere in person since I will be in a different country pretty much the whole of summer. Thanks!

Hey,
Apologies for the delay in response. Yes, I think this would be good experience for volunteering, as long as you can talk about how it relates to medicine and what you have learned from it then it will will be useful experience.
Especially since Covid-19, medical schools tend to be much more accepting of virtual work experience.
Evie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending