The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Georgiecat
Oh gosh, I feel so old now! :O I'm studying Geography (AQA), Maths (Edexcel), Biology (AQA), and Chemistry (AQA, I think).

Hi, AQA Bio, AQA Physics, OCR History and Edexcel Math
Reply 2061
Original post by Georgiecat
Oh gosh, I feel so old now! :O I'm studying Geography (AQA), Maths (Edexcel), Biology (AQA), and Chemistry (AQA, I think).

Done :h:
Original post by Mr.Nor
I'm alright thank you! yourself? :smile:

I'm alright thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2063
Original post by techno836
Welcome to the new current year 12 thread, our home for the next year. (We’re now in the A Level forum :woo: )! that must mean we have matured :eek: :wink: This is the start of 2 very important years for us and A levels can be hard but that won't scare us! We have a high target to beat last year’s year 12s so let's all work hard :sogood:

Below is a list of subjects and exam boards that we are all taking, I'm sure it will be useful when you need somebody to help you :h: (Newcomers please quote me if you wish to be added :h: )

Subjects

Scottish Highers

Make sure you work your hardest all year and I'm sure the next results day will be fine, and in order to work hard here are some useful links below ( I'll add some more as I find them :smile:

http://www.examsolutions.co.uk - For Maths :smile:
http://www.Chemguide.co.uk - For Chemistry :smile:

And Finally if you have any query about A-level Choices or University choices make sure you ask/quote L'evil Fish or drop him a PM :smile: I will also answer any regarding Medicine or direct you to more helpful thread :h:

Best of luck for the forthcoming year! :h: :cool:

I'm studying Maths (OCR (MEI)), German (WJEC), Psychology (Edexcel) and Sociology (AQA).

I really wanted to study Philosophy but my Sixth Form College decided to stop running it at the last minute, so I had to do Sociology instead... It's not that bad though, I had an open day last month and I actually really enjoyed it.

I'm enrolling on Friday. Pretty nervous, not going to lie. I know it's different for all places, but what do actually you have to do? Just give them money and show them your grades?
Original post by SophF_rth
Free bus travel :redface:ooooo That's so good! I bought my season ticket yesterday for the year costing £550 and beng a student I got 1/3 off. But for my bus I have to pay £50 to get half price bus fares.

Wow!! Thats a lot of money on travel! Is this what its like in all villages in england??

Original post by SophF_rth
I do go to london quite a lot so i guess I've seen a full buses but not too overcrowded. I think the tube are the worst though, the other day I was on the Nirthern line at about 7pm and it was hell, then onto the Circle line 2mins later and it was moreorless empty!

The london transport network can sometimes be absolutely ridiculous.
But i have been here for 11 years now, so im used to it.

I hate travelling by tube when its crowded, especially in the summer! I always get squashed! -_-
Buses are annoying when they get delayed or when theres traffic.
In leyton (where my college is), theres always traffic - so this is going to be annoying for the next 2 years.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Lucas.

I'm enrolling on Friday. Pretty nervous, not going to lie. I know it's different for all places, but what do actually you have to do? Just give them money and show them your grades?

I enrolled last Friday. Don't be nervous, although I was too.

I didn't have to give any money but yeah you show your grades and some require identification so I showed my passport. Then I had to go around all the subjects I'm going to study and speak to all of the teachers.Then I went on to speak to form teachers and was assigned a form. Then I went to administration and had my picture taken and got temporary ID. It took about an hour and a quarter for me :frown: Too much queuing!
Hey guys I really need some advice from anyone and I'm in Year 11 atm

Basically, I was supposed to be attending a private school where I achieved a 50% scholarship, but due to financial reasons, it would be difficult (not impossible) to send me there. I received my GCSEs this week and achieved 14A*s and want to take Spanish, Maths, Chemistry and Biology for A-Level (I dont mind taking IB either) and was wondering whether good sixth forms such as St Olaves (1st choice), tiffins, etc, or private schools that can give me a good scholarship, e.g. city of london, epsom college, reigate grammar, etc would still consider me? I really don't wanna go back to my old school due to bullying so any help would be great!

Also if anyone could give me good grammar schools in south east england/central london, it would really help!

thanks

xx
Reply 2067
Original post by harrybithell196
I enrolled last Friday. Don't be nervous, although I was too.

I didn't have to give any money but yeah you show your grades and some require identification so I showed my passport. Then I had to go around all the subjects I'm going to study and speak to all of the teachers.Then I went on to speak to form teachers and was assigned a form. Then I went to administration and had my picture taken and got temporary ID. It took about an hour and a quarter for me :frown: Too much queuing!

Really? I have to give money to pay for equipment and things like that apparently... £40... Damn. It doesn't sound very fun haha. Do you do it in groups? Because me and one of my mates have got the same enrolment time. I'm really not up for having a photo taken either... Oh well. I'll just have to suck it up and get over it I guess. Cheers :smile:
Original post by techno836
Done :h:

Thanks!
Reply 2069
Sixth starts in 10 Days!! Before it was the countdown to results but now I'm counting down to the start of sixth form! Soo excited.. Get to see my friends again on a daily basis and get back into a routine with purpose!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2070
Original post by RagaZ
Sixth starts in 10 Days!! Before it was the countdown to results but now I'm counting down to the start of sixth form! Soo excited.. Get to see my friends again on a daily basis and get back into a routine with purpose!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You start on the fourth too then?
Original post by Lucas.
Really? I have to give money to pay for equipment and things like that apparently... £40... Damn. It doesn't sound very fun haha. Do you do it in groups? Because me and one of my mates have got the same enrolment time. I'm really not up for having a photo taken either... Oh well. I'll just have to suck it up and get over it I guess. Cheers :smile:

Nope, I didn't have to pay anything. Everyone else in here seems to go to colleges that want money from you. It wasn't the best thing, waiting around sucks. Talking to the teachers was little more than 5 minutes for most and they asked why I wanted to do the subject and that was pretty much it. We didn't do it in groups but I went with a friend and because we were doing pretty much the same subjects we went around together and were with each other most of the time. My picture surprisingly didn't turn out too bad, this is only if your college requires ID badges, most do nowadays though. It would only take about 20/30 minutes but I went at a busy time :frown:
Reply 2072
Nope, I didn't have to pay anything. Everyone else in here seems to go to colleges that want money from you. It wasn't the best thing, waiting around sucks. Talking to the teachers was little more than 5 minutes for most and they asked why I wanted to do the subject and that was pretty much it. We didn't do it in groups but I went with a friend and because we were doing pretty much the same subjects we went around together and were with each other most of the time. My picture surprisingly didn't turn out too bad, this is only if your college requires ID badges, most do nowadays though. It would only take about 20/30 minutes but I went at a busy time :frown:

Oh, it doesn't sound too bad then. Hopefully that's all I'll have to do then. I still haven't met some of my possible teachers yet after going to to various open evenings and taster days, so hopefully I'll get the chance to see them all, but I wont be too fussed if I don't get the chance. Yeah, I'm fairly sure my college requires them, I remember the people from my school that went there last year were all moaning about how horrible they looked on their ID badges. I don't mind waiting... I like just sitting around and soaking in information from what's going on around me... I just hope I don't have to do anything too strenuous. :tongue:
Original post by Lucas.
Oh, it doesn't sound too bad then. Hopefully that's all I'll have to do then. I still haven't met some of my possible teachers yet after going to to various open evenings and taster days, so hopefully I'll get the chance to see them all, but I wont be too fussed if I don't get the chance. Yeah, I'm fairly sure my college requires them, I remember the people from my school that went there last year were all moaning about how horrible they looked on their ID badges. I don't mind waiting... I like just sitting around and soaking in information from what's going on around me... I just hope I don't have to do anything too strenuous. :tongue:

Haha, I didn't meet my own teachers, I don't think. I think it was mostly subject leaders on the desks. I didn't even get my timetable! :frown: That annoyed me. Sitting is alright, it is when there aren't enough chairs! :frown: No, not too strenuous. Getting up early for it was the most strenuous bit about it for me. I'm too lazy during holidays!
Original post by Infinity_4652
Wow!! Thats a lot of money on travel! Is this what its like in all villages in england??

The london transport network can sometimes be absolutely ridiculous.
But i have been here for 11 years now, so im used to it.

I hate travelling by tube when its crowded, especially in the summer! I always get squashed! -_-
Buses are annoying when they get delayed or when theres traffic.
In leyton (where my college is), theres always traffic - so this is going to be annoying for the next 2 years.

This isn't even because I live in a villiage. This is without the cost of petrol to the station. Even if I lived next to a station I would have to spend the same amount. It's just annoying :tongue:

That's true, where did you live before? :smile:

Yeah it's horrid! Generally why I try to to take the tube. And there is so much traffic when you're on the busses which is what I don't get so much here. That will not be fun at all!

Btw, how was your enrolment day thing? :smile:
Reply 2075
Haha, I didn't meet my own teachers, I don't think. I think it was mostly subject leaders on the desks. I didn't even get my timetable! :frown: That annoyed me. Sitting is alright, it is when there aren't enough chairs! :frown: No, not too strenuous. Getting up early for it was the most strenuous bit about it for me. I'm too lazy during holidays!

That would still be good enough for me! There's only one German teacher at my college - so she will definitely be teaching me - and yet after all of these possible chances to see her, I still haven't met her. I don't even know her name... Oh my god, everyone in my year, around 400 people, has to go to a classroom... A CLASSROOM to pick up their timetable at 9am on our first day. I'm not looking forward to that one little bit haha. Ah that's alright then. I'm the same. I need to get back into a routine. :frown:
Reply 2076
Original post by Mr.Nor
You start on the fourth too then?

Yep well enrol on the 4th...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2077
What do u even do on enrolment day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucas.
That would still be good enough for me! There's only one German teacher at my college - so she will definitely be teaching me - and yet after all of these possible chances to see her, I still haven't met her. I don't even know her name... Oh my god, everyone in my year, around 400 people, has to go to a classroom... A CLASSROOM to pick up their timetable at 9am on our first day. I'm not looking forward to that one little bit haha. Ah that's alright then. I'm the same. I need to get back into a routine. :frown:

God that will be busy! Unlucky! My year is split up into different classes for first lesson where we get our timetables and like a welcome introduction sort of thing. I want a routine too! I hate sleeping in because then I have hardly any daytime left and just spend my hours updating this thread. I lead a very fulfilling life :biggrin:
Reply 2079
Original post by RagaZ
What do u even do on enrolment day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would imagine it depends on whether you're staying on at your secondary school or going to new school or college.
I'm staying on at my secondary school so I had to go and sign in and find out my new form group. Then I had to fill out a form with my personal details and write which subjects I was planning on taking and when. After that I had to speak to a member of staff so they could approve my choices.

Latest