Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I have
Chem-A
Maths-A
F maths-A
Bio-B

But my gcses are bad.. 1A* 5A 6B

I got bb in sciences.. would this disadvantage me? Since my biology grade didnt "conpensate" my bad gcse?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wndms
I have
Chem-A
Maths-A
F maths-A
Bio-B

But my gcses are bad.. 1A* 5A 6B

I got bb in sciences.. would this disadvantage me? Since my biology grade didnt "conpensate" my bad gcse?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will need to be predicted an A in Biology a-level to be considered. Have a look at the Dentistry Entry Requirements page. You'll be able to see the minimum GCSE requirements for each university. Some specifically ask for a grade in a specific subject, so just pick unis that you meet the criteria for :yep:
Reply 62
Original post by Andy Conda
Don't all beat yourselves up to much about AS results. It's what you get at A2 that matters. If you have to take a year out so be it. I went from ABB to AAA. It's easily done just hard work. Going into my last year of Dentistry now!

Well done, would like to know more about what you did to get in?
What was your ABB in?
And did you take a year out?
Hey guys! I'm a hopeful 2014 dentistry applicant :smile: For my AS results I got: Biology A, Chemistry A, German A, Physics C, GS C and Punjabi A. I'm dropping physics. With regards to my GCSEs I have 13A*s and 2As. I have plenty of work experience and voluntary work. Do I have a good chance of getting into dentistry or will the C grade in Physics hinder my chances? Thanks in advance :smile: And by the way, all the A grades I obtained in AS were high grade As. I hope to be predicted A*A*A*A* for A2.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 64
Can someone please help me! I am a little bit desperate for an answer,that I have waited for a while. Thank you! :biggrin:
Original post by -----lol-----
Hey guys! I'm a hopeful 2014 dentistry applicant :smile: For my AS results I got: Biology A, Chemistry A, German A, Physics C, GS C and Punjabi A. I'm dropping physics. With regards to my GCSEs I have 13A*s and 2As. I have plenty of work experience and voluntary work. Do I have a good chance of getting into dentistry or will the C grade in Physics hinder my chances? Thanks in advance :smile: And by the way, all the A grades I obtained in AS were high grade As. I hope to be predicted A*A*A*A* for A2.

I would say make sure that you apply to unis that don't ask for an a/b in the 4th AS. But as physics is your 5th AS, I'm not really sure how it would effect your application. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Original post by Anonymax
Can someone please help me! I am a little bit desperate for an answer,that I have waited for a while. Thank you! :biggrin:

Don't know if you've seen, but I did reply to you in post 62 :smile:
Reply 66
Original post by orange.bananna
There are only 2 dental schools in the UK that have entry requirements of AAB (Glasgow and Dundee - one of them specifies that you have to get As in Biology and Chemistry - can't remember which though sorry).

Ideally you need to be predicted 3As. Your IGs sound fine, so it's just a case of improving your AS/A-level grades :smile: You can always apply with your grades the year after as well :yep:

Thanks for the reply orange.bananna! I also wanted to ask if, depending on how strong my B's are, should I re-sit As Biology and/or Maths and improve my chances, or is it a waste of time and I should just worry about convincing my teachers to predict my required A? Also, if I need to re-sit something after all, could I do As modules, or they dont' exist anymore and I need to do the whole exam again? Thanks
I would say make sure that you apply to unis that don't ask for an a/b in the 4th AS. But as physics is your 5th AS, I'm not really sure how it would effect your application. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Don't know if you've seen, but I did reply to you in post 62 :smile:

Hey! Thanks for the reply. I will contact my teachers and persuade them to predict me 4A*s in my 4 strongest subjects and I've heard that most unis don't look at AS grades but predicted grades.
I just need to make sure I do well in my UKCAT :biggrin:
Thanks for the reply orange.bananna! I also wanted to ask if, depending on how strong my B's are, should I re-sit As Biology and/or Maths and improve my chances, or is it a waste of time and I should just worry about convincing my teachers to predict my required A? Also, if I need to re-sit something after all, could I do As modules, or they dont' exist anymore and I need to do the whole exam again? Thanks

If you're very close to an A you could make up the extra marks during the A2 exams - but that is up to you whether you think you can do that. You can resit AS exams during your A2s without resitting all of the exams for that subject :smile:
Reply 69
I think you need to be realistic in order to study Dentistry you need to get As in Biology, Chemistry and one other (although Dundee and Glasgow are only asking for a B in the third a-level currently - so that's always an option). Are you going to be able to do that?

With your current AS grades I would imagine it would be quite difficult to obtain an offer - have you thought about taking a gap year after year 13 and then applying with your grades? That way you'll have more of an idea of what grades you've got and what chances you have!

When it comes to improving your grades - can you see where you went wrong this year? How you'd be able to improve next year?

Cheers for the reply. I think my biggest mistake was not having a tutor last year so I didn't revise in the way I should have done. I'm confident I can get AAB at least. Would I be best off doing another science related degree then applying as a post grad or trying to transfer or taking a gap year?
Original post by _FDarr13
Cheers for the reply. I think my biggest mistake was not having a tutor last year so I didn't revise in the way I should have done. I'm confident I can get AAB at least. Would I be best off doing another science related degree then applying as a post grad or trying to transfer or taking a gap year?

If you think you can get at least AAB then instead of spending 3 years doing a science degree and then 5 years doing Dentistry, why not just apply with your grades while on a gap year? Ultimately it's up to you what you do though and taking a gap year doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a place!
Hi,

I got:

Biology: C
Chemistry: B
Economics: C
Maths: D

I'm dropping Maths and the Econ was 6 UMS off a B and the Bio was a mid C. I'm not sure yet if I want to apply this year and I don't know my predicted grades yet. What should I do? I'm so confused because I really want to do dentistry and I know I can bring my grades up at A2, by working really really hard. I was advised to apply for a different course this year (I was thinking optometry) and then trying for adjustment after I get my A2 and if I don't get in then try again next year and take a gap year. Does anyone know if it's even possible to get into any uni's for dentistry through adjustment?? Iv'e emailed some uni's and am waiting for replies from some but Manchester and Leeds have already said they don't. And if I had got the grades I would have applied to those two. I hate the idea of a gap year, I really don't know what I'd do.

Please help me!

Thank you in advance.
Reply 72
So relived guys!

Got my predictions sorted.. Not as good as I'd hoped but I can't complain with the AAB prediction I've been given. Luckily my tutors are willing to explain my mitigating circumstances to the unis I apply to!

Turns out they actually all really believe in me :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by naseeragani
Hi,

I got:

Biology: C
Chemistry: B
Economics: C
Maths: D

I'm dropping Maths and the Econ was 6 UMS off a B and the Bio was a mid C. I'm not sure yet if I want to apply this year and I don't know my predicted grades yet. What should I do? I'm so confused because I really want to do dentistry and I know I can bring my grades up at A2, by working really really hard. I was advised to apply for a different course this year (I was thinking optometry) and then trying for adjustment after I get my A2 and if I don't get in then try again next year and take a gap year. Does anyone know if it's even possible to get into any uni's for dentistry through adjustment?? Iv'e emailed some uni's and am waiting for replies from some but Manchester and Leeds have already said they don't. And if I had got the grades I would have applied to those two. I hate the idea of a gap year, I really don't know what I'd do.

Please help me!

Thank you in advance.

Dentistry courses don't tend to be in adjustment, so that isn't really an option. I think your best chance of getting in to study Dentistry is to take a gap year and apply with your grades - as you just wont have the predictions you need this year.
Reply 74
Hi, does anyone know if there is an article here listing universities with strength they want for dentistry like they do it for medicine? Thanks and I hope I said it right.
Original post by bills12
i got 4Bs at AS level in maths, biology, chem and physics (im going to drop phys) and am wandering if i can still do dentistry. I was about 15 UMS of an A at chem and the others were like 5 UMS
i got 7A*s,2As (History,German) and a B (English Lit.) . basically during my AS i had intense family problems and this affected my performance
i got 730 in the UKCAT and have done 3 weeks work experience along with a variety of many different types of voluntary work. if i get predicted 3As can i still do dentistry at Manchester or Sheffield Uni??

If you're predicted 3As you should have a good chance of getting into dentistry :smile:
Reply 76
If you're predicted 3As you should have a good chance of getting into dentistry :smile:

Are my grades solely based on predicted grades and my actual A2 grades? Also will unis see my AS grade?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bills12
Are my grades solely based on predicted grades and my actual A2 grades? Also will unis see my AS grade?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you have actual A2 grades, you wont have predicted grades...

Not sure, I think it depends on whether your school certificate your AS exams :confused:
Reply 78
Hello again,
I found out my module breakdown today and my AS grades are A in chemistry, B in biology/economics/maths and a D in thinking skills. I was 2/3 marks off an A in biology/maths and 6 marks off an A in economics. I am going nuts, because I am at a disadvantaged position with such mediocre grades. I still don't know if I should re-sit my biology and if I should do it in November or June. Please help me, I am clueless! Thank you!
Reply 79
Hello again,
I found out my module breakdown today and my AS grades are A in chemistry, B in biology/economics/maths and a D in thinking skills. I was 2/3 marks off an A in biology/maths and 6 marks off an A in economics. I am going nuts, because I am at a disadvantaged position with such mediocre grades. I still don't know if I should re-sit my biology and if I should do it in November or June. Please help me, I am clueless! Thank you!

I think that you should not re-sit biology as you are only 2/3 marks off but you should re-sit maths c1 because that will be 1000x times easier when you are in A2. Also repeat economics as well. There are no more November exams only in May so you would have to re-sit in May along with all your other a2 exams

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest