The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5740
Original post by dan94adibi
So, you're telling me you know better than JM (arguably the best manager in the world)?:congrats: Please hand in your CV to Roman!

He's only human. And humans can make mistakes. Even Fergie made mistakes in his great career.

We are allowed to criticise something that is questionable or disagreeable.

I am frustrated at Lukaku not getting much gametime so far.

Don't you think it was a joke that Lukaku didn't even get one second against Utd while Torres got much more than that?
Reply 5741
So, you're telling me you know better than JM (arguably the best manager in the world)?:congrats: Please hand in your CV to Roman!

You're not helpful at all. If you agree with his decisions that fine but it doesn't mean people who disagree are wannabe managers, the whole point is discussing things like this. Your reply makes you look a bit like an arse tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5742
Original post by Skkc16
I agree with Adam actually. This is not helping Lukaku's confidence and if Bayern is not the team and neither was Hull or Villa then who exactly is left for him to start against? Swindon? Pfft

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not saying I agree with the decision, but did you honestly expect Lukaku to start tonight? I would definitely have liked to seen him start by now but he will, it's still early days. Two of the four games we've played this season (including tonight) have been against top opposition, and Lukaku came on as a substitute in the other two games, he might make an appearance tonight seeing as Ba isn't on the bench. At West Brom he had to earn his starts by good performances as a substitute, why should that be any difference with us?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Cable
He's only human. And humans can make mistakes. Even Fergie made mistakes in his great career.

We are allowed to criticise something that is questionable or disagreeable.

I am frustrated at Lukaku not getting much gametime so far.

Don't you think it was a joke that Lukaku didn't even get one second against Utd while Torres got much more than that?

He's likely to make less mistakes than people complaining here.
It's only the 4th game into the season and everyone is moaning. :/
Reply 5744
Original post by manty
why isnt MVG playing ramires and lampard aren't a good combo!

The combo is not too bad tbh. But I would prefer to see MVG rotated with Lampard more, to give MVG experience and keep Lampard fresh. I also want to see Essien in the starting line-up more.
Reply 5745
Lukaku isn't playing for good reasons.

Firstly, it's the beginning of Mourinho's first season back. He said himself he was glad to still have a core of experienced players. Hence MVG and Lukaku haven't really had a look in as Jose has wanted to get off to a solid start.

Secondly, Lukaku rarely started last season, he was used as an off the bench battering ram to come on, and it worked wonders for WBA. So it's not fair to presume he'll start the games for us at the beginning of the season when we're a top team, and looking for a solid start. He's still 20, Torres and Ba have experience.

Lastly, most of the pundits believe Jose is doing it on purpose. Lukaku has given numerous interviews stating his determination to break into the first team. He's young and 'hungry', he will not be losing confidence. The Chelsea TV staff believe Jose is holding him back so he gives it all when he starts getting his chances to start, which will be sooner rather than later. Look at the work Ba put in against Villa. It wasn't effective but the guy never gave up running. They all know competition is fierce.

Lukaku and MVG will get their chances when things settle down, presumably after the internationals. We rejected on offer from Ajax to take MVG. They're both in his plans. Stop over-reacting.
Original post by Skkc16
You're not helpful at all. If you agree with his decisions that fine but it doesn't mean people who disagree are wannabe managers, the whole point is discussing things like this. Your reply makes you look a bit like an arse tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Discussion is fine but discussion where there is no logical reasoning behind the argument is invalid.

Lukaku is a pro and he will deal with it and you can't expect him to start his first game against the European Champions.
Reply 5747
Original post by Nickini
Not saying I agree with the decision, but did you honestly expect Lukaku to start tonight? I would definitely have liked to seen him start by now but he will, it's still early days. Two of the four games we've played this season have been against top opposition, and Lukaku came on as a substitute in the other two games. At West Brom he had to earn his starts by good performances as a substitute, why should that be any difference with us?

Yeah fair enough maybe not tonight but it's just frustrating because of the previous games. His performance in per season was enough to earn him a start against Hull I thought. Also here I think it's going to be hard for him to make that same impact as he did for WBA because I've noticed if we are comfortably up by halftime or just after the team pretty much just sits back so less chance of getting goals. Just have to be patient I suppose

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5748
He's likely to make less mistakes than people complaining here.
It's only the 4th game into the season and everyone is moaning. :/

Maybe we should be more calm and be more patient.

Chelsea are at the top of the league and unbeaten so far.

But the performances haven't been good enough imo. And part of that is down to poor team selections imo. The team needed some rotation to keep the players fresh and maintain their energy levels. But Jose hasn't done that.

Ok, all this would be forgiven if he wins the league. But that doesn't mean we can't moan about the questionable things Jose has done with this team so far.

Why no rotation of Lampard and Ramires? Why not rotation of A.Cole and Ivanovic? Why no Lukaku against Hull or Villa for 90mins?
Original post by Cable
Maybe we should be more calm and be more patient.

Chelsea are at the top of the league and unbeaten so far.

But the performances haven't been good enough imo. And part of that is down to poor team selections imo. The team needed some rotation to keep the players fresh and maintain their energy levels. But Jose hasn't done that.

Ok, all this would be forgiven if he wins the league. But that doesn't mean we can't moan about the questionable things Jose has done with this team so far.

Why no rotation of Lampard and Ramires? Why not rotation of A.Cole and Ivanovic? Why no Lukaku against Hull or Villa for 90mins?

Not sure what you mean performance hasn't been good.
Battered Hull City, I think Villa is always a hard game(especially this year as you'll see they're no pushovers) and we went to OT and got a point which is basically a win if you think about it.

You don't always have to play fancy football sometimes you have to play ugly and get the result.

And regarding the squad, I still think JM is still trying to figure out his first 11.
Reply 5750
Original post by Tweek

Firstly, it's the beginning of Mourinho's first season back. He said himself he was glad to still have a core of experienced players. Hence MVG and Lukaku haven't really had a look in as Jose has wanted to get off to a solid start.

Secondly, Lukaku rarely started last season, he was used as an off the bench battering ram to come on, and it worked wonders for WBA. So it's not fair to presume he'll start the games for us at the beginning of the season when we're a top team, and looking for a solid start. He's still 20, Torres and Ba have experience.

Lastly, most of the pundits believe Jose is doing it on purpose. Lukaku has given numerous interviews stating his determination to break into the first team. He's young and 'hungry', he will not be losing confidence. The Chelsea TV staff believe Jose is holding him back so he gives it all when he starts getting his chances to start, which will be sooner rather than later. Look at the work Ba put in against Villa. It wasn't effective but the guy never gave up running. They all know competition is fierce.

Lukaku and MVG will get their chances when things settle down, presumably after the internationals. We rejected on offer from Ajax to take MVG. They're both in his plans. Stop over-reacting.

Good post.

But I still think it would have been a good idea for Jose to use the likes of Lukaku, Bertrand and MVG more, so that Chelsea could be top of the table with 9 points instead of 7.

I don't think anyone can excuse playing Schurrle up front instead of Lukaku against Utd or subbing on Torres instead of Lukaku. There's no excuse for it if Jose actually wanted to win against Utd.
Reply 5751
Original post by Tweek

Well said, I completely agree.

This is not a good game for a 20-year old who's had minimal game time to start, particularly in the case of MVG. Ramires was guaranteed to start as his energy, pace and work-rate is ideal for a game in which we are the underdogs, and we need Lampard if not for his ability but for his experience and leadership tbh. Would have been nice to see MVG on the bench though, and I have faith in him to perform well for us, but to start against arguably the best team in the world with the little experience he has (both for us and playing at this level) could potentially be a disaster.
The Eden stadium ~ time for Eden to step us his game tonight.
KTBFFH!!!
2-1 to us.
0-0.
Reply 5754
Lol Luiz missed you man

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5755
Not sure what you mean performance hasn't been good.
Battered Hull City, I think Villa is always a hard game(especially this year as you'll see they're no pushovers)

Fair enough.
and we went to OT and got a point which is basically a win if you think about it.

A point against Utd was good but not great. But the way you went about it was a disgrace imo. If Jose had actually rotated some of his important players prior to the game, they would have had enough energy levels to give Utd a better game than they did. The team selection was bizarre. Even worse was subbing on Torres instead of Lukaku.

Utd were there for the taking imo if Jose had selected the right players and given them enough rest beforehand. You could be top of the table with 9 points right now instead of 7.

You don't always have to play fancy football sometimes you have to play ugly and get the result.

I know that already since I'm a Mourinho fanboy and I'm a fan of Big Sam Allardyce. But my point is that the aim against Utd should have been 3 points, not 1 point.

3 points against Utd would not only have put you higher up the table with 9 points but it would have destroyed Utd's confidence to retain their title. You feel?

And regarding the squad, I still think JM is still trying to figure out his first 11.

Possibly. But if he wanted to do that, wouldn't it have been a good idea to give Lukaku, MVG, Azpi and Essien more time on the pitch?
Good pressing from Andre and the 4 players up front in general.
1-0 Torres
Reply 5758
Suck it Torres haters.
Torres! WOW!

Latest