The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thatitootoo
I thought Welsh was next on your list, closely followed by Danish!?

Octo iz goona go West-Germanic - Romanic - Celtic - North-Germanic - Slavic...liike 1 times 5 yhyh? :cool:
I was in a shop surrounded by Polish speakers, and it reminded me of how nice it sounds.

Also, it frustrated me to be surrounded by food labels I couldn't read. I've become accustomed to being able to read the DE or FR labelling, even if there is no UK present. But the packets were mostly Polish and Czech, without English, German or French!
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
LOL! This is how I feel most of the time. So many languages I want to learn, not enough time! :frown:
No more slacking off for me!
Original post by Octopus_Garden
I was in a shop surrounded by Polish speakers, and it reminded me of how nice it sounds.

Also, it frustrated me to be surrounded by food labels I couldn't read. I've become accustomed to being able to read the DE or FR labelling, even if there is no UK present. But the packets were mostly Polish and Czech, without English, German or French!No more slacking off for me!

EDIT: Oh you said food, srry :colondollar:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by constantmeowage
In Welsh or my scarastic sentence afterwards? :tongue:

The Welsh:unimpressed:
Reply 7123
You're fluent in Portuguese. You should have no problems with the A-level, at all :tongue:
Did you attend high school in Portuguese? Are you somewhat familiar with the Brazilian dialect??

I'm jel :frown:

Having moved to England from a young age I was kind of improving my Portuguese and learning English at the same time. I picked up English very quickly during primary school, and had to improve on my Portuguese at home.

The problems arise when you start speaking a LOT more English than Portuguese. Portuguese had been put on the shelf for a bit.

I decided a while back to start watching Portuguese/Brazilian TV, reading books in Portuguese, and listening to Portuguese/Brazilian more to make sure I didn't lose it. Websites like Duolingo have also helped a lot.

You're right though my Portuguese is probably good enough I just have to brush up on some things. :smile:

P.S. No need to be jel, you can learn Portuguese if you want to. :biggrin:

No more slacking off for me!

I absolutely love the sound of the Polish language. I really want to learn it, but Mandarin and Turkish keep calling my name. Turkish sounds wonderful, too. At least there are plenty of Polish speakers in the UK now. Infact, I was just reading an article via Twitter that says it is not the second language of the UK, but that Poles' command of English is lacking. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10276928/Census-2011-Quarter-of-native-Polish-speakers-lack-good-command-of-English.html
. I should also say that the majority of the Polish speaking female customers at my workplace are very beautiful. This is no way influences my decision to learn Polish. :colone:

If I was being honest, I have barely studied any German at all this Summer. I seemed to have focussed all my time on Spanish and neglected my poor old German. :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by L'Evil Fish
The Welsh:unimpressed:

Do you want to learn more Welsh, or are you just gonna focus on the languages at school? :tongue:

THATITOOTOO - I HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN YOUUUU I'VE JUST FORGOTTEN EVERYTHING YOU'VE SAID :smile:
Do you want to learn more Welsh, or are you just gonna focus on the languages at school? :tongue:

THATITOOTOO - I HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN YOUUUU I'VE JUST FORGOTTEN EVERYTHING YOU'VE SAID :smile:

I'm going to become A grade AS standard (or better if I can) in
French, Spanish, Italian, Welsh and German by the end of Year 13 I'm hoping... Possible?

KATTENKOPPPPP:mad:

Original post by Mário
Having moved to England from a young age I was kind of improving my Portuguese and learning English at the same time. I picked up English very quickly during primary school, and had to improve on my Portuguese at home.

The problems arise when you start speaking a LOT more English than Portuguese. Portuguese had been put on the shelf for a bit.

I decided a while back to start watching Portuguese/Brazilian TV, reading books in Portuguese, and listening to Portuguese/Brazilian more to make sure I didn't lose it. Websites like Duolingo have also helped a lot.

You're right though my Portuguese is probably good enough I just have to brush up on some things. :smile:

P.S. No need to be jel, you can learn Portuguese if you want to. :biggrin:

Boa sorte com seus estudos , meu amigo. :grin:
X

Guten abend, wie geht's?

How's your German going? :tongue:
I've finally decided to sign up to beginner's Spanish classes after ages of telling myself that I will learn Spanish. I'm hoping because I know French, it should be fairly easy to pick up and take further. I'm really looking forward to it :biggrin:
Wat is dat voor drolletje? :rofl:

Liebling, weisst du ob es einen Unterschied zwischen "zahlen" und "bezahlen" gibt?
Turns out google does work for me, although it frequently lets our dear Fish down :wink: , so:

http://christianlangenegger.wordpress.com/2012/05/14/paying-in-german-bezahlen-vs-zahlen/

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1243649

http://www.deutsch-als-fremdsprache.de/austausch/forum/read.php?4,32223
Original post by tehFrance
Guten abend, wie geht's?

How's your German going? :tongue:

:hi: Guten Abend!!
Gut, danke! Und dir?

Nicht so slecht! Ich versuche es zu lernen, aber ich kann so faul sein :tongue:
Have you made a decision on Swedish vs Norwegian yet, oder???:wink:
I said "slecht" instead of "schlecht"
Nederlands interfering again!!!:mad:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I'm going to become A grade AS standard (or better if I can) in
French, Spanish, Italian, Welsh and German by the end of Year 13 I'm hoping... Possible?

Difficult :tongue: especially with the twenty seven other a levels you're doing. :wink:

KATTENKOPPPPP:mad:

Wat heb ik toch nu gedaan?!?!?!?! :eek:
Difficult :tongue: especially with the twenty seven other a levels you're doing. :wink:

Wat heb ik toch nu gedaan?!?!?!?! :eek:

Je hebt Nederlands gesproken, dus jij krijgt geen straf :wink:
And the conclusion issssssss? :wink:
Unsere Schlussfolgerung ist, dass du zu lesen lernen sollst!:tongue:
Je hebt Nederlands gesproken, dus jij krijgt geen straf :wink:

Wat was de straf? O.o
Unsere Schlussfolgerung ist, dass du zu lesen lernen sollst!:tongue:

Ich muss gar nichts! :wink: