The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

School tomorrow...
Reply 3561
Just finished my film review on Burlesque and with that I've finished all my summer work!
Original post by Glitch96
I'm in the middle of bath, Bristol and Swindon myself, don't wanna tell my town explicitly, gotta keep animosity *hi five for Bristol town centre, yo sushi in particular*

I appreciate your animosity :smile: I was just interested to see if I knew you without knowing!! And Bristol town centre is pretty awesome :smile:
Original post by EvasiveRose
Are you going to try though? :eyebrow:
It has a 93% pass rate at A-Level (100% at GCSE) so I'd like to think its a pretty good sixth form :biggrin:
Whilst my old school has a 48% (incl. Eng + Maths) pass rate at GCSE- so hopefully universities will take this into account when looking at my results:s-smilie:

The national average is 98.1% so your sixth form is lacking in that area but it could still be above average in the grades that matter A*-A and B-C.

A lot of sixth forms trick people into thinking they are great when they are significantly below average on the grades that matter-My College has a pass rate of 99.6% at A-Level but I'm not convinced it is doing that well for higher achieving pupils but it hasn't released figures for it:angry:There are people who have got 4A*s from my College but this often contains EPQ even though its only an AS.

My College has a lot of pupils in it though and is made up of lots of sixth forms for A-Levels and Vocational Subjects.I am enrolled at one sixth from but will go to another to learn about Further Maths.
Are you going to try though? :eyebrow:
It has a 93% pass rate at A-Level (100% at GCSE) so I'd like to think its a pretty good sixth form :biggrin:
Whilst my old school has a 48% (incl. Eng + Maths) pass rate at GCSE- so hopefully universities will take this into account when looking at my results:s-smilie:

I'm not sure! Durham is quite competitive, and I think Warwick is as well, I don't want to end up with too many rejections :tongue: I think school will encourage me to, but they don't give Oxbridge applicants much extra help with interviews etc, so it would a big risk. Oh wow, that's impressive! Is it a private school, or a selective/grammar school? I'm sure they will do, your AS results will be more important anyway :smile: (Sorry for the long paragraphs, TSR on my laptop somehow won't let me insert paragraphs, it does on my phone though :s)
Original post by Dalek1099
The national average is 98.1% so your sixth form is lacking in that area but it could still be above average in the grades that matter A*-A and B-C.

A lot of sixth forms trick people into thinking they are great when they are significantly below average on the grades that matter-My College has a pass rate of 99.6% at A-Level but I'm not convinced it is doing that well for higher achieving pupils but it hasn't released figures for it:angry:There are people who have got 4A*s from my College but this often contains EPQ even though its only an AS.

My College has a lot of pupils in it though and is made up of lots of sixth forms for A-Levels and Vocational Subjects.I am enrolled at one sixth from but will go to another to learn about Further Maths.

Pass rate at A-level is A*-E :redface: So a pass rate of 93% is kind of bad. Unless they mean A*-C?
Original post by tess_rach
I appreciate your animosity :smile: I was just interested to see if I knew you without knowing!! And Bristol town centre is pretty awesome :smile:

:lolwut:

Animosity means 'strong hostility'. Did you mean 'anonymity'? :biggrin:
Reply 3567
I walked just under 10 miles today and I'm shattered..

Have I missed any new people joining the thread? :biggrin:
Original post by lolface32
Pass rate at A-level is A*-E :redface: So a pass rate of 93% is kind of bad. Unless they mean A*-C?

No Pass rate is A*-E so 93% is below the national average as I was saying.The pass rate should be A*-C though because at A*-E Colleges/Sixth Forms get to boast 99% pass rate etc on buses-my College has always done this and got 99.6% this year but only 2% of A-Level students got AAB(including 3 facilitating subjects) last year and only 3% of A-Level students got AAB( including 2 facilitating subjects) last year, which put it well behind the England average(7.4%) on the grades/qualifications that matter.I also saw my College advertising a statistic of 76% at grades A*-C this year but the national average is 77.2%.
I am sorry about the mix of statistics form this year and last year.
Reply 3569
My Sixth Form College's results this year... Direct quote from their Facebook page. Apparently they are in the top 20% of schools and colleges across the country..

"Congratulations on your brilliant exam results
A level pass rate -98%
18 subjects gained 100% pass rate
A*- B pass rate 49%
A*-C pass rate 74%
AS level pass rate 90%
A-C pass rate 60%
20 subjects gained 90%+ pass rate
BTEC (Ext Dip) A level pass rate 100%
71% top grade pass rate
Well done to all the students and staff for their hard work throughout this year."
Original post by Dalek1099

It has a 46.2% percentage of students achieveing A*/A. How does that compare to the national average?
My old school achieved a 48% pass rate at GCSE compared to the national average of 68.1 % (I believe). Do all universities have a flag system in place?

EDIT: By 93% I meant A*-C percentage
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by peaaceandl0ve
I'm not sure! Durham is quite competitive, and I think Warwick is as well, I don't want to end up with too many rejections :tongue: I think school will encourage me to, but they don't give Oxbridge applicants much extra help with interviews etc, so it would a big risk. Oh wow, that's impressive! Is it a private school, or a selective/grammar school? I'm sure they will do, your AS results will be more important anyway :smile: (Sorry for the long paragraphs, TSR on my laptop somehow won't let me insert paragraphs, it does on my phone though :s)

Oh! That's a pity. We're given interview practises over here, help with PS, etc. It's a grammar school.
And I forgive you for your long paragraphs :tongue:
Original post by mynameisntbobk
What sorts of bad habits? I'm the worst, I came home and started sleeping. I actually ended up with an A overall :smile: but it took a lot of work getting it up to that. I'm aiming for A*A*A*A next year. A bit optimistic, but why not? I actually would have got an A* in biology and maths this year if it was possible at AS

Well, I don't sleep enough, so perhaps you could lend me some of your sleep?? :tongue: You ended up with top marks anyway?? :eek: You really are some kind of genius. Why not aim high? It sounds like you could be capable of it, and you may as well set your sights as high as possible :biggrin:
Original post by peaaceandl0ve
Haha yes, as long as I do the EPQ too. Oh really? That's weird of them, it's offered at my school for A2 as well, but from what I've gathered it's just for people who are applying to unis which accept General Studies as an A-level, for if they're not doing too well in one of their other A-levels so they can use their GS A-level as part of their offer. Yeah, I'll just see how it does too, I cant imagine it will be particularly difficult, Critical Thinking is generally just evaluating/analysing arguments and conclusions etc, generally about how to get your point across well and evaluate what other people are saying (from what I gather), so History should come in useful with that :smile:

Well good luck with that!! From what I've heard, EPQs can be tough... :frown: I know, my school is seriously strange. But ah well, I'll survive doing a couple of extra exams :smile: yeah, an essay subject like history should definitely help with that! I'm sure you'll do awesomely. :biggrin:
Original post by NikolaT
:lolwut:

Animosity means 'strong hostility'. Did you mean 'anonymity'? :biggrin:

Yep :tongue: In my defence, I was copying the previous post as I was writing a load of nonsense in Spanish at the time :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3575
Hey guys! I'm pretty new to TSR. I'm repeating Year 12 :s-smilie: But i'm hoping that the outcome of this academic year is worthwhile. :wink:
Original post by Re-Re!
Hey guys! I'm pretty new to TSR. I'm repeating Year 12 :s-smilie: But i'm hoping that the outcome of this academic year is worthwhile. :wink:

Hi! :biggrin: Good luck with that - I have a friend who's repeating y13 this year, so I know how tough it can feel. I hope it goes well for you - I'm sure it will!!
Reply 3577
Original post by Re-Re!

Oh i think you're our second re-sitter :h: i can't remember who the other person is though :s-smilie:
It has a 46.2% percentage of students achieveing A*/A. How does that compare to the national average?
My old school achieved a 48% pass rate at GCSE compared to the national average of 68.1 % (I believe). Do all universities have a flag system in place?

EDIT: By 93% I meant A*-C percentage

lol, that is le amazing :tongue:
I told myself I was gonna go over moles for chemistry, and re-read my triple science book in order to refresh my memory of science. It didn't happen. Instead; I've been begging my mum to stay a little longer in the stationery section of each shop, to no avail. Going on Wednesday! :eek3::eek4::eek3:

Latest