The Student Room Group

Resolution 2013/11 : Concerning the conflict over Gibraltar

This poll is closed

Should this resolution be adopted by the General Assembly?

Aye 57%
No 14%
Abstain29%
Total votes: 7
Resolution
Committee: Economic and Financial
Proposed by: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Federal Republic of Germany

Deeply concerned over Spain's recent behaviour regarding Gibraltar,
Seeking to open diplomatic discussions to resolve concerns,
Welcoming the support of other nations on this issue,
Reaffirming the British sovereignty of Gibraltar,
Believing that Spain should respect its existing agreements

Requests a clear international voice declaring that Gibraltar's sovereignty be respected;

Urges Spain to avoid creating policies seeking to damage the Gibraltarian economy;

Asks that Spain open itself to diplomatic negotiations for the de-escalation of tensions

NotesIn response to Gibraltar attempting to construct an artificial reef off the Gibraltarian coast to encourage sea life, Spain has introduced comprehensive border checks which has led to extremely long traffic queues. Spain is currently considering introducing a €50 border-crossing fee, disallowing flights between Spain and Gibraltar, an investigation of Spanish property owned by Gibraltarians, and changing the law "so that online gambling companies operating from Gibraltar have to use Spanish servers if they want to operate in Spain, thus coming under Madrid's taxation regime."

For more information, see the BBC FAQ on the issue: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23576039

miser

QFA

Nikp3

QFA

Scroll to see replies

Greece believes that as the Gibraltarian people wish to remain British then Spain has to respect that. Greece believes Spain's proposed idea of a tariff would only succeed in exacerbating, not easing, the current diplomatic tension between the two countries
Reply 2
In line with its Commonwealth partner, Canada fully supports this resolution.
The people of Gibraltar want to stay with the United Kingdom and they have done for a long time now.

So the Federal Republic of Germany agrees with this Resolution.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
The Netherlands agrees with Greece and believes that if the Gibraltarian people wish to be British, Spain should not be making any attempts to damage Gibraltarian interests.
Both the Swiss Confederation and the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan echo the above sentiments of self determination. Cooperation is necessary to solve diplomatic issues such as these.
Reply 6
Russia will remain neutral in this disagreement.
New Zealand supports the United Kingdom in this matter and would urge spain to respect the right of the citizens resident in Gibraltar.
Reply 7
How can a resolution reaffirm UK sovereignty when the UN has passed resolutions impliedly criticising it?
Reply 8
toronto353
QFA

Is this resolution in order when it is purporting to reaffirm something the UN has never affirmed?
Malta supports the UK's viewpoint over this issue and believes that Gibraltar's wishes should be followed not the Spanish.
Reply 10
Is the SG actually going to rule on the point of order?
Reply 11
The US supports this resolution.

Brazil abstains from this resolution owing to Britain's tendencies to neo-imperialism.
Reply 12
Original post by Ethereal
Is the SG actually going to rule on the point of order?

Apologies for some reason this quote didn't come through. I will have a look and rule tomorrow on it. Apologies once again.
Reply 13
Original post by toronto353
Apologies for some reason this quote didn't come through. I will have a look and rule tomorrow on it. Apologies once again.

ooc: np. Let's face it, I probably ****ed up the quoting :biggrin:
Reply 14
ooc: np. Let's face it, I probably ****ed up the quoting :biggrin:

It might have been when I had a cluster of quotes and so your's didn't show because it was pushed out of the recent quoted widget if that makes sense. :smile:
Reply 15
It might have been when I had a cluster of quotes and so your's didn't show because it was pushed out of the recent quoted widget if that makes sense. :smile:

I know my place :p:
Reply 16
Point of order upheld:

miser

QFA

Would you be able to change reaffirms please?
Reply 17
I think it needs to go further - the point about demanding Spain respects sovereignty is an issue too. In fact, I just don't see how this resolution can stand at all...
Reply 18
I think it needs to go further - the point about demanding Spain respects sovereignty is an issue too. In fact, I just don't see how this resolution can stand at all...

I don't think that it is since the resolution affirms the sovereignty - hence it can then demand that Spain respects sovereignty.
Reply 19
I don't think that it is since the resolution affirms the sovereignty - hence it can then demand that Spain respects sovereignty.

Affirming the sovereignty as British undermines the UN position on colonization and goes directly against all the pre-existing UN resolutions on this issue...

Latest

Trending

Trending