The Student Room Group

Paramedic science volunteering

I am looking to start studying paramedic science in September 2024 I am in the final year of an applied science course, but have no work experience to put in my personal statement aside from my retail job and a few others. Just wondering what work experience other people who have applied to paramedic science I am looking to apply to GCU or QMU.
Reply 1
I only had previous work experience as a cleaner and still got offered a place (at Wolverhampton). However, most universities and previous students I've talked to will say that any work experience you can get in a healthcare area will be best for your application. A lot of people tend to work in care homes or volunteer with Saint John's Ambulance (Saint John's Scotland I think is the scottish version of it if you live in scotland assuming by your uni choices).
Reply 2
I'm actually from Northern Ireland but the only course here is all the way up in Derry I live in Belfast, felt that if i'm gonna move for uni may as well make the most of it im still gonna apply for UU over here as well just 1st choice will probably be QMU
Reply 3
I volunteered at my local hospital as a befriender. so maybe try to contact them?
Reply 4
I would agree anything where you are volunteering at a hospital or in a care home. It is a great job.
Original post by TOMMYww
I am looking to start studying paramedic science in September 2024 I am in the final year of an applied science course, but have no work experience to put in my personal statement aside from my retail job and a few others. Just wondering what work experience other people who have applied to paramedic science I am looking to apply to GCU or QMU.

Paramedic Science is a Great Course! :dancing2:

If you are interested in completing some work experience and volunteering, please follow these links and they can help with building up your personal statement:

In addition, similar to what others have mentioned think about what transferrable skills you have developed from your retail jobs such as communication, leadership, conflict resolution (any unhappy customers, specifically link that to Paramedic Science) and being able to prioritise work, along with being committed and flexible.

Another tip for your personal statement is to have a look at: HSPC( https://www.hcpc-uk.org/standards/standards-of-proficiency/paramedics/) in regards to qualities wanted for a paramedic and think about how your previous skills match for these.

Good Luck! :h:
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest