The Student Room Group

International Relations

I got offers from University of York, Aston University and University of Essex for International Relations MA/MSc. Can somebody tell me about these universities and which would be better for this course? I'm mainly focusing on placements so it would be really helpful if I could get some opinions
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Bluestar2703
I got offers from University of York, Aston University and University of Essex for International Relations MA/MSc. Can somebody tell me about these universities and which would be better for this course? I'm mainly focusing on placements so it would be really helpful if I could get some opinions

Congratulations on your offers!
This is such an exciting time for you.😀

-Our Government Department is currently 6th in the UK for research power in politics and international studies (Times Higher Education research power measure, Research Excellence Framework 2021).
-We’re 16th in the UK for International Relations in the Guardian University Guide 2024.
-We are the only political science department to receive the prestigious Regius Professorship

100% of our research environment is world-leading or internationally excellent (Grade Point Average, REF 2021).*Our academics are some of the biggest names in the field, giving you unrivalled access to the best minds in politics. Some of our staff have advised the CIA on counter-terrorism, training politicians and civil servants in democratising countries, and commentating on political events in national and international media.
Essex provides Government students with a vast variety of facilities such us:
- Laboratories of networked computers featuring extensive software for political analysis;
-Student societies for politics, debating, and Model UN;
-We organise the Essex Summer School in Social Science Data Analysis. Link: Essex Summer School in Social Science Data Analysis
-A programme of seminars and events run by the department through the year where guest speakers give Essex students an insight of the industry first hand.
You will also be given the opportunity to take optional modules from a large selection offered by our department, including: International security, Conflict resolution, Democracies in Europe, Global environmental issues among others.
With our course you also have the opportunity to study abroad at one of our partner institutions and achieve a dual award or have a placement year, which means you’ll receive two Masters degrees in two years.
Recent graduates have gone on to work for the following high-profile organisations:
-The Civil Service;
-The United Nations;
-The World Bank;
-NATO;
-YouGov and YouGov America.
Essex has one of the most multicultural campus from the world being home for students from more than 140 countries. Our Students Union (SU) is ranked top 7th in the UK for student satisfaction providing students with more than 100 societies from cultural to sport societies you can join and make friends. Essex wants all students to feel home so ever Thursday we host a food market where restaurants and coffee shops came to our campus and sell their food from all around the world, as well we have vintage clothing shop in our night club (ZubZero) during the day. We also celebrate major national holidays such us Diwali, Chinese New Year, Guy Fawkes Night among others. Link to SU page: Choose your campus (essexstudent.com). SU also provides students part-time jobs alongside your studies in our facilities such us restaurants, coffee shops, etc.

I hope this makes your decision easier. Any questions you might have feel free to message.

Essex Official Rep- Catarina 😃
Original post by Bluestar2703

Essex or York. Aston has no rep for IR. I wouldn't be as concerned about placements as the department having academics that are active in the area of IR you are interested in. You will then get better discussions, better visiting speakers and the reputation for a degree from that Uni in that area will be stronger, which is important in IR where you are competing on a global market.
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
Essex or York. Aston has no rep for IR. I wouldn't be as concerned about placements as the department having academics that are active in the area of IR you are interested in. You will then get better discussions, better visiting speakers and the reputation for a degree from that Uni in that area will be stronger, which is important in IR where you are competing on a global market.

Thankyou for replying! Which is better out of the two? I was thinking of going with York but I'm not really sure if it's the right thing to do.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending