The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6080
Loaning Lukaku out was a bad idea imho. Got a feeling that we'll start to regret it around February maybe. Hopefully we can recall him.

It's not as if he'll even be getting European football either. My God, thinking about it like that it's an awful deal.
Reply 6081
People be over reacting.

Lukaku was never going to carry the team. Look at the Supercup, Lukaku was no where near the level Torres was playin at.
This isn't going to effect our season much. I'm just sad we won't see him score his first Chelsea goal and develop yet. People need to think logically about this.

At Everton his Competition is Jelavic and Kone... Here it's Eto'o and a £50m striker, and that other guy.
Reply 6082
Original post by Tweek
People be over reacting.

Lukaku was never going to carry the team. Look at the Supercup, Lukaku was no where near the level Torres was playin at.
This isn't going to effect our season much. I'm just sad we won't see him score his first Chelsea goal and develop yet. People need to think logically about this.

At Everton his Competition is Jelavic and Kone... Here it's Eto'o and a £50m striker, and that other guy.

Torres hasn't played like that for over 6 months though. It's just another flash in the pan. Whether he's playing for West Brom/Everton/Chelsea he'd still be facing the same defenses and as he showed at WBA he could score on a consistent basis. Something the other three couldn't do for Toffee. (see what I did there?)
Guys, Eto'o took a 70% pay cut just to play under José here. I'm sure he'll have more desire this time!

Original post by CFC Blue
Torres hasn't played like that for over 6 months though. It's just another flash in the pan. Whether he's playing for West Brom/Everton/Chelsea he'd still be facing the same defenses and as he showed at WBA he could score on a consistent basis. Something the other three couldn't do for Toffee. (see what I did there?)

Welcome to the Chelsea thread! Always good to have new posters because this thread moves so slowly.
Reply 6084

He'd also be playing for a completely different team here.

Teams play more open against the likes of WBA, and more compact against Chelsea. Hence it's more difficult to score.

That's why Drogba was so successful. Because he was amazing at playing with his back to goal.

Ba would knock quite a few in for Everton, just as he did for Newcastle.
A better team doesn't always mean the person will play better. Lets see how Eto'o gets on before denouncing this situation as a disaster.
Reply 6085
Original post by The Assassin
Guys, Eto'o took a 70% pay cut just to play under José here. I'm sure he'll have more desire this time!

Welcome to the Chelsea thread! Always good to have new posters because this thread moves so slowly.

Yeah, thanks :smile:

"new".
Yeah, thanks :smile:

"new".

Hmmm... :holmes:
Reply 6087
I'm genuinely excited about Eto'o.
Reply 6088
Original post by Tweek
He'd also be playing for a completely different team here.

Teams play more open against the likes of WBA, and more compact against Chelsea. Hence it's more difficult to score.

That's why Drogba was so successful. Because he was amazing at playing with his back to goal.

Ba would knock quite a few in for Everton, just as he did for Newcastle.
A better team doesn't always mean the person will play better. Lets see how Eto'o gets on before denouncing this situation as a disaster.

Fair enough. Just a little annoyed that it could stagnate his career if it doesn't go well. I'm sure it will, but damn I just want to see him playing for us.

I'm a little annoyed too how crap our transfer deadline day was too, especially compared to Arsenal and despite how bad they've been so far we're still only a point ahead of them.
Reply 6089
Hmmm... :holmes:

You think it is ...
Maybe
Reveal yourself. I can't think of who this could possibly be.
Reply 6091
Original post by Tweek
People be over reacting.

This. Funnily the club did exactly what I wanted them to do this window. Got a DM, got a striker and that's all we need. I didn't expect lukaku to go but he'll get into the team. We just need to get rid of a signing. But long term it's best doing this, look at how they're treating morata at madrid only getting 2nd division games and like 5/10 games as a sub in the league/cup. At least lukaku has gametime to develop. Happy about this. I'd like lukaku to become a starter instead of a supersub though.
Reply 6092
Reveal yourself. I can't think of who this could possibly be.

Psssssssst. It's me.
Yeah overall this window has been fine. I still think we needed a DM though. Someone who could control the tempo and game from deep - doesn't necessarily have to be a DLP. Some steel in the midfield would be good...
Psssssssst. It's me.

Oh wait, I think I know now. :biggrin: (I think...)
(edited 10 years ago)
Honestly felt devastated upon seeing Lukaku's loan to Everton for this season confirmed on WAGNH (despite my best efforts to avoid all deadline day news for the last hour before it shut). So many things wrong with this transfer that annoys me to no end as a Chelsea fan:

- First of all, Mourinho came out at the start of summer and said categorically that Lukaku was in his plans for this season. This statement is now shown to be a complete lie which definitely doesn't endear me to his second coming in the slightest. What other 'promises' will possibly be broken during his tenure?

- Lukaku managed to bag 17 goals for West Brom last season (more than both our strikers combined managed for us). This shows he is already a goalscorer - what it doesn't show is whether he will fit into our system. This is what this season should have been about. Another loan to a premier league club will provide nothing to his development (maybe he'll score 25 goals but doesn't prove anything more to us)

- We are placing a ridiculous amount of faith in Eto'o, as if for some reason he struggles or gets a long term injury, we're left with the same exact options as we had last season which as we'll all remember was more than just a little bit lacklustre

- For all those saying this loan will be good as it'll allow him to come back into the fold as our main striker next season when Eto'o and possibly Ba leave - does this not put even more pressure on the Lukaku? He'll have to come back into a side he has no idea how to play with and somehow lead the line for them. This season could have been a chance to slowly ease him into the side and get him to acclimatise to the way we play

- Finally - do we ever give youth a chance!?! It seems as if unless a player comes in for more than £20million they're deemed surplus requirements in lieu of experienced and more expensive acquisitions (Willian, Torres to name a couple)

I came into this season full of hope after a solid preseason and a decent bit of transfer dealings but the last two weeks have been more than a bit disappointing. Things at Chelsea have invariably not changed leading me to believe we're almost certainly not going to have the fairytale change in direction we were all hoping for when Mourinho signed.
Reply 6096
Original post by looseseal
X

Firstly, calm down.

From what I've gathered, Mourinho tried to get rid of Ba, we were over the quota for players and had too many strikers. We don't need 4 for the system we play. We couldn't get rid of Ba, and Lukaku went instead, seeing as there's no way Torres would have went.

Mourinho didn't lie. He seems to have wanted Lukaku in his plans, but Lukaku can't exactly compete with 3 other experienced strikers when there's a WC next summer.

Did you see Eto'o's (is that even grammatically correct) interview. The guy was confident. He knows how to score. He's not exactly slow, and he's a great finisher. If he flops I'll be amazed.

Also we're not putting too much pressure on Lukaku when he gets back. He'll have more experience, and he'll hopefully had a taste of playing on a big stage at the WC. Not only that in case you haven't noticed we have one of the most well-rounded teams in terms of goalscoring. Goals come from everywhere. We are not striker dependent. The defenders score loads in comparison to other teams, and Mata/Hazard/Oscar et al are all double digit goal scorers.

Mou has been starting KDB (thankfully) and Schurrle. He's kept Kalas, and rejected a loan from Ajax for MVG. Yes, we're not the most competent by any means at bringing through the youngsters, but they will get chances, it's what the club wants.

One young striker goes out on loan and suddenly the season is doomed.
I don't know why you guys are stressed.

Eto'o will be fine
Lukaku isn't gonna get game time. Let him go out on loan where he will at least play and he'll be back while Eto'o leaves.

I'm actually excited for the rest of the season
Reply 6098
It was only two years ago that Eto'o got 56 goals and 25 assists in all competitions...
Those stats are insane.

He did play a lot of games. But still. 81 combining goals/assists...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6099
Original post by Tweek
It was only two years ago that Eto'o got 56 goals and 25 assists in all competitions...
Those stats are insane.

He did play a lot of games. But still. 81 combing goals/assists...

**** that's ronaldo like stats :rofl: if he beasts it here I think I'll find a new striker to cry over.

Latest