The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Fhew, first week of AS over *puts feet up, but only for a bit!*

Original post by Georgiecat
Do you consider homework part of the extra work you're meant to do outside class?

Homework is always on the topic I did in class that day, so I look at it as a method of reinforcing what I learned that day, you could almost say revision.
I'm busier than I anticipated since I started college! ¬.¬
It's sooooo good though, so glad I picked it over 6th Form!
How are you all? :3
Original post by blamethenargles
I'm busier than I anticipated since I started college! ¬.¬
It's sooooo good though, so glad I picked it over 6th Form!
How are you all? :3

Hiya :smile: I know right same here, I'm probably gonna have to sign out soon coz of the Maths homework -_- I chose a sixth form as the colleges are quite far from where I live and it has good results in science :redface: But oh my god that are so clever; I feel so out of place but most of my lessons are good :smile: So over all I'm okay thanks; how are you finding your chosen subjects?
Original post by JustaDreamer
Hiya :smile: I know right same here, I'm probably gonna have to sign out soon coz of the Maths homework -_- I chose a sixth form as the colleges are quite far from where I live and it has good results in science :redface: But oh my god that are so clever; I feel so out of place but most of my lessons are good :smile: So over all I'm okay thanks; how are you finding your chosen subjects?

They're all great! I thought I was really going to struggle at maths but it's pretty straightforward at the moment! I'm glad you're okay though!
Original post by blamethenargles
They're all great! I thought I was really going to struggle at maths but it's pretty straightforward at the moment! I'm glad you're okay though!

Aw yeah same my maths teachers are my favourite right now :smile: Aw thanks you too; good luck for the rest of it! :wink:
Original post by JustaDreamer
Aw yeah same my maths teachers are my favourite right now :smile: Aw thanks you too; good luck for the rest of it! :wink:

My favourite's my music teacher- Music is most definitely my favourite subject at the moment! Thank you- you too!
Reply 4946
My Goldfrapp album arrived today aaaaah it's such a masterpiece album of the year
Reply 4947
wow looking at these AS books are really daunting !!
Reply 4948
My Core Maths teacher is such a cool guy. He spent a good 15 minutes talking about surfing today. :tongue:
I have no idea what sort of places to ask for work experience
Reply 4950
Original post by RagaZ
wow looking at these AS books are really daunting !!

I second that!
I am so stressed out right now :frown: This week I've had 14 pieces of homework and today we were told we need to 'plan out our whole year' and think about work experience and extra-curriculars and, ugh, I've don't know what I want to do with my life.
Reply 4952
Original post by SophieB1997
I am so stressed out right now :frown: This week I've had 14 pieces of homework and today we were told we need to 'plan out our whole year' and think about work experience and extra-curriculars and, ugh, I've don't know what I want to do with my life.

do you go to a state, grammar or private school?
Original post by pathosL
do you go to a state, grammar or private school?

Technically it's an academy but it still calls itself a grammar school, as that sounds better :tongue:
Original post by Glitch96

I'm currently thinking of Computer Science, I may want a career to do with software and I'm obsessed with electronics so it seems like a good fit so far, maybe I can get info on what it actually involved, besides computers and science :tongue: Do you know what you want to study at uni yet?

Ooh, that's interesting! Computer Science is quite popular, isn't it? Haha yes, it's always good to find something you enjoy, are good at and actually has good hobs at the end :smile: Hopefully German or History, or both! Athough AS History has been very demanding so far, so I may need to rethink that, as German does seem to have better employment prospects (mainly because not as many people choose to study it, and language degrees include an academic year abroad so provide invaluable work experience abroad). I will have to wait and see, I guess!
Ok everyone how has your AS Levels been going?
Please List your subjects under the following headings:

Most Enjoyable Subjects(1=favourite)
1. German: Very cosy class (six of us and everyone’s lovely), we sit together around a large table and spend most of the lesson discussing topics in German and make a few vocab lists of unfamiliar words, as well as completing a few worksheets. It’s a very informal, relaxed environment and the work is actually very interesting, today we were discussing some interesting points about the positives and negatives of watching television such as learning difficulties and lack of sleep caused by too much TV :tongue: Our teachers are lovely and I just love the language, it’s great.
2. Geography: We’re studying human and physical Geography each with a different teacher, but so far the physical Geography hasn’t got very ‘physical’, so it’s not too sciency yet. We’ve been earning some quite interesting things about the re-branding of Cornwall and Bournemouth, and my human Geography teacher is incredibly enthusiastic and he just passes it on.
3. History: Unfortunately, most work has been very politically-based so far, and England 1902-1914 (or whichever years it is) is proving to be incredibly politics-heaving, but we’re done some quite interesting work in Russia 1855-1917 on serfs and society and culture. Our teachers are quite nice, although one has the habit of getting rather off-topic.
4. Maths: I do enjoy Maths but it’s very basic GCSE re-cap stuff we’re currently doing, I’m excited to get back onto the more interesting topics.

Hardest Subjects(1=hardest)
1. History: I’ve not been doing too much background research for other subjects but I’ve been doing quite a lot for History, involving researching lots of Liberal/Conservative historians. Some of the political terms are hard for me to understand and grasp, as I’ve never really studied politics in detail before. Hopefully as the year goes on I’ll begin to understand everything a bit better.
2. Geography, German and Maths: We’re at the start of the syllabus and just seem to be doing to the easy topics so far. Geography is just really an extension of GCSE work, but on different topics, German involves more vocab but is generally fairly easy to learn, and Maths is pretty simple as I fast-tracked the AS last year so I understand it rather well, especially as at the moment we’re just really recapping GCSE work.
Reply 4956
Doing this thing;

Most Enjoyable Subjects (1 = favourite)

1. Maths: Although I don't know anyone in my group, the class has a really good atmosphere, and both of my teachers are great, and the stuff I am learning at the moment is fairly easy, yet challenging at the same time. If that makes sense? :tongue: I'm really enjoying it. Hopefully I can get closer to the attractive girl in front of me. :cool: But I don't mind being a loner in Maths, I find it a lot easier to concentrate and work when I'm by myself. Both my teachers are amazing guys, and extremely helpful. Already learned a valuable life lesson from my Core teacher. :tongue:

2. Psychology: I'm with a good friend in this class, so I automatically feel comfortable, and my teacher is a pretty cool guy. I'm already becoming a bit of a teacher's pet, but I don't care. :wink:

3. German: I love the subject and my class, and my teacher is a really nice lady too, but I seem to be quite bad compared to the rest of the class, which is a little bit annoying. Everyone in my class has been to Germany before, so they all seem to be one step ahead of me when it comes to speaking and listening. However, in terms of reading and understanding vocab and grammar I seem to be well ahead of everyone else, because it's all I ever did at GCSE. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

4. Sociology: My teacher is an extremely weird, over-dramatic feminist who (despite being an extremely friendly and helpful woman - I have nothing against her at all) has the ability to make the whole class feel extremely awkward when she goes off on a feminist rant, or starts shouting because she gets excited about something... Until today I sat by myself, I had an empty seat either side of me, but my teacher made me move next to some guy permanently so that I had someone to talk to when we have group discussions. This guy seems like a bit of a goon (he's retaking AS Sociology because he got an E last year...) but I'm sure he'll be alright once I get to know him. Regardless of everything I just said, I am still really enjoying it. :tongue:

Hardest Subjects (1 = hardest)

1. German: Mainly just because I seem to be behind everyone else in the class... I'm not finding any of the content difficult, it's just I am extremely weak when it comes to speaking fluently and understanding a sentence instantly. I have to process it all in my head first before I can reply. :frown:

2. Sociology: There's quite a lot of content to learn, and we're going over basic things at the moment which is extremely boring, so it's making me switch off in lessons. Hopefully it'll be fine once we start to pick up the pace. It doesn't help that my class and teacher are both very awkward...

3. Psychology: Same as Sociology, there's just a lot of content, and we're going over core concepts/ideas at the moment. It's the only lesson where I haven't actually started any 'proper' work yet, for want of a better word. I start on Monday. :smile:

4. Maths: I'm sure Maths will soon become the hardest, but I've just clicked with what I'm doing at the moment and it's a walk in the park. :smile: Really enjoying it, and I'm having a whale of a time sitting at the back writing notes and doing loads of questions. Nothing more satisfying that doing loads of questions, marking them, and getting them all right. :biggrin:
Reply 4957
Most Enjoyable Subjects

1. Maths: I was expecting this to be worse than it actually is, two good teachers and it's actually quite a laugh and fun (but challenging) most the time. I hope it stays this good, then I will be very happy! The core stuff is pretty basic, but Im enjoying the more difficult parts of it from exam papers, and Mechanics is my favourite topic out of the 3 we're doing :smile:
2. Chemistry: Finding some of the topics pretty fun and interesting, even though one teacher is not as good as the other. Getting my head around orbital notation took a bit of work but I got there, glad to be studying it more in depth than the boring GCSE stuff!
3. Physics: Would probably be top, but at the moment the topics are the most dull things ever. I actually am on the verge of disliking it at the moment :frown: Lenses are dreadful for boredom, nearly fell asleep 4 or 5 times in it today. Materials are a bit better but still nothing that interests me or is challenging yet :frown:

Hardest Subjects:

1. Maths: The stuff we're doing isn't super hard, but it's challenging enough, and the examples of higher questions that we get are pretty good for the odd brick wall difficulty spike to work on, but it's all fun in the end!
2. Chemistry: This comes above Physics because it's stepped up a bit from GCSE, where physics really hasn't.
3. Physics: Far more boring than it is hard! :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4958
Watching last nights educating Yorkshire.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4959
is it just me or is physics OCR A soooooooooooooooooooo boring?

Latest