The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 419
Ryan Betrand career RIP.

Why, what happened ?
Reply 6321
Original post by Tweek
I liked Rafa as a manager, but there's one thing he did that I could never understand. He kept putting Yossi Benayoun on instead of Marin. Frustrating.

His subs were pretty questionable, felt like we had ranieri at times who just did what he wanted.
Reply 6322
Original post by 419
Ryan Betrand career RIP.

Slightly harsh, personally I think it's rather similar to the sergio asenjo situation at atletico, where they have another player who's the best in the world in the position, in your case, look at gibbs/monreal or the cole/van bronckhorst. Somebody will have to simply lose out. I'd say that it depends on the level of the player.

Personally I wish bertrand was 19 so the progression would be a given. But he's in the weird situation of being deputy(albeit of great quality) to the best LB in the world but at an age where he needs regular football. Personally I think we should just get luke shaw rather than kill bertrands career like this. Thing is he's a much better attacking outlet than cole has been the past year but question marks over his defending/positioning. Shame as I rate him as highly as gibbs. He'll get games this season I feel in the CL and cup games, since I doubt cole will keep up a high level of performance as a starter all season. Plus mourinho's one for dropping players if they've not been good enough regardless of who they are. Look at real.
Reply 6323
Bertrand will be getting quite a few games if Cole keeps up his current poor form.

High hopes for PVA though, wouldn't say no to Shaw. Chelsea fan and English.
Reply 6324
Original post by Tweek
Bertrand will be getting quite a few games if Cole keeps up his current poor form.

High hopes for PVA though, wouldn't say no to Shaw. Chelsea fan and English.

Hopefully, I think cole will be dropped if in poor form.

Don't think PVA will make it, tbh he went in the graveyard of vitesse and has probably been forgotten about by our staff.
Reply 6325
Original post by jam277
Hopefully, I think cole will be dropped if in poor form.

Don't think PVA will make it, tbh he went in the graveyard of vitesse and has probably been forgotten about by our staff.

By all accounts PVA is better than Bertrand from reports in Holland.

Plus his speed is ridiculous. Kakuta needs to be shipped though. Shame.
Reply 6326
Fair enough wrt him. Personally been hearing mourinho talk a lot about english football and the youth nowadays, say what you want about him, but at inter and porto he was rather good with the youth players or young talents. I feel that if he stays on the job for 4/5 years he'll get a youngster or two in, chalobah looking the most likely once we get rid of mikel and lamps retires.

Coming to think of it, the closest manager who's tried to use the youngsters would be AVB and di matteo, rafa did it with ake out of necessity I feel but even then it wasn't really getting anybody to break through. AVB did well with romeu and sturridge, romeu was inexpicably dropped for some reason while sturridge was beasting it till he got injured. But I wouldn't even call the players he started using as youth. They were rather established players at their clubs before getting into the chelsea side(romeu counts as a barca b regular) carlo ancelotti didn't even try with the youth during the two seasons here bar the odd appearance for josh mceachran, which made it even more stupid when sturridge was scoring goals for fun and we buy a £50m dud.

Oh and with the midfield situation, I'd rather us just put a youngster on the bench during an injury crisis so we use david luiz there, his performances in CB are so boom or bust and it's rather frustrating when he seems a greater option in CM when he's with lampard as he has way more creative freedom; plus in this case we have the mobility to cover when lamps goes forward due to luiz's physical attributes. Finally wrt mvg, I believe he'll get a run of games, but atm mourinho's trying to find the right mixture of experience and youth. There's no point putting in a youngster for the sake of it as it'll look good for the fans seeing a 20 year old breakthrough.
Reply 6327
Watch how Lukaku's loan to Everton works out just like Sturridge to Liverpool; he's scoring week in week out whilst we're stuck with Eto'o/Ba/Torres wondering what the **** we were thinking :frown: At least he'll be coming back.

Moses scored on his Liverpool debut too.
Yeah at least these two players going out are loans and not permanent deals (for now -- inb4 both of them soon decide they're happy at Merseyside and ask for a transfer request :frown:)
Reply 6329
Original post by The Assassin
Yeah at least these two players going out are loans and not permanent deals (for now -- inb4 both of them soon decide they're happy at Merseyside and ask for a transfer request :frown:)
Will be incredibly frustrating if Willian doesn't do well for us. Although Moses will probably see a lot more playtime at Liverpool so it's a good thing for him. Could imagine him being allowed to leave.
Sup' Chelsea fans
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ee0QoEfDJO4
I truly feel for you what happened that day, but you can't deny this guy his awsome commentary
Original post by Nickini
Will be incredibly frustrating if Willian doesn't do well for us. Although Moses will probably see a lot more playtime at Liverpool so it's a good thing for him. Could imagine him being allowed to leave.

Agree. Man, how unlucky we would have been over the years...
17-Chelsea has averaged 17 shots per game the second highest in PL behind Spurs(19) whilst only 1 shot converted into a goal.

I sound like OptaJoe :tongue:
Thanks for Moses and Sturridge :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6334
Anyone seen the video of Ashley Cole yet?
Crazy Americans...
Reply 6335
Original post by Tweek
Anyone seen the video of Ashley Cole yet?
Crazy Americans...

Lol I guess she was told who he was, so she went out of her way to provide a 'great' service so that he would tip her big time...
Mourinho says four out of Hazard, Oscar, Schurrle, KDB, MVG will play.

Along with Lampard and Ba for tomorrow's CL match.
Original post by sevchenko
tbf Eto at his best is considerably better than Lukaku, he was thrown into the deep end against a hard to beat Everton team when still unfit and adjusting to a new league not to mention he's lost quite a bit of pace.

Etoo looks confident when dribbling with the ball, sharp when he's 1 vs 1 near the edge of the box. On the couner-attack Etoo lacks strength and pace - which is why I come to a conclusion that he is not the Striker we need as when we play against good teams we're 9.5/10 times playing counter attack.
Original post by cleveradam
Etoo looks confident when dribbling with the ball, sharp when he's 1 vs 1 near the edge of the box. On the couner-attack Etoo lacks strength and pace - which is why I come to a conclusion that he is not the Striker we need as when we play against good teams we're 9.5/10 times playing counter attack.

He hasn't played at a highly competitive level since leaving inter, he's obviously softened up as a result. And I'm sorry but saying Eto'o lacks pace is ridiculous. He probably hasn't really pushed himself for years. He had so many bad touches against Everton despite the good movement he had inside te box

If you've watched Torres, you'll see that he has actually got his pace back. Eto'o is only 3 years older than Torres, and was faster in his prime. With the right fitness/ sprinting coach he can get to at least Torres' pace if not faster. 32 is not that old and is certainly too young IMO to go from very pacy to lacking pace.
Reply 6339
Original post by 9MmBulletz
He hasn't played at a highly competitive level since leaving inter, he's obviously softened up as a result. And I'm sorry but saying Eto'o lacks pace is ridiculous. He probably hasn't really pushed himself for years. He had so many bad touches against Everton despite the good movement he had inside te box

If you've watched Torres, you'll see that he has actually got his pace back. Eto'o is only 3 years older than Torres, and was faster in his prime. With the right fitness/ sprinting coach he can get to at least Torres' pace if not faster. 32 is not that old and is certainly too young IMO to go from very pacy to lacking pace.

Not sure why everyone always goes on about Torres not having his pace any more. Sure he was a lot faster off the mark when playing for Madrid but he was also a lot skinnier.
He's put on a lot of muscle and is considerably stronger/quicker than when he first joined.
Drogba was still pretty quick when he was 32/33. Probably isn't that slow now either.

Eto'o looked good in my opinion. He lost the ball a lot and had some bad touches, but so did the team. But his movement was still fantastic. Once he has a few weeks under his belt playing for us I think he'll be causing havoc.

Latest