The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by JosephML
Maybe, you'd have to ask your referee though to be sure.

That's what I did when I applied last year.
Reply 201
Original post by DFranklin
Plus an interview is a very different scenario from a tutorial. The power dynamic is very different, and the actual objectives are different too.

In a tutorial, you often want to put your "worst foot forwards"; that is, avoid the areas you're confident about, and draw attention to the areas you're unsure about. This is essentially the opposite of what you'd want to do in an interview!

Good point. To be honest, I don't really know what they'd possibly look for in the interview for signs they wouldn't do well in the tutorial system.
Original post by CD315
I can't see it being that high!

If it is something in the 60s I am almost certain I will get an offer from Imperial- the multiple choice is a gift- 40 marks comfortably in the bag usually from my past paper practice

I get the impression that q5) although everyone is supposed to do it should be only for comp-sci applicants- It always has something to do with some kind of algorithm or program.

e.g Pn means move forward , left , forward ,right.. etc or something like that
Reply 203
Original post by nahomyemane778
If it is something in the 60s I am almost certain I will get an offer from Imperial- the multiple choice is a gift- 40 marks comfortably in the bag usually from my past paper practice

I get the impression that q5) although everyone is supposed to do it should be only for comp-sci applicants- It always has something to do with some kind of algorithm or program.

e.g Pn means move forward , left , forward ,right.. etc or something like that

Agreed. My lowest has been 36 on multiple choice but thats only after a few papers.

I agree. Those are the sorts of questions that I dislike - sometimes I'm completely stumped. There are just particular types of maths problems that don't agree with me.

Hopefully they don't expect my result to be seriously higher due to me being on a gap year.
Original post by CD315
Agreed. My lowest has been 36 on multiple choice but thats only after a few papers.

I agree. Those are the sorts of questions that I dislike - sometimes I'm completely stumped. There are just particular types of maths problems that don't agree with me.

Hopefully they don't expect my result to be seriously higher due to me being on a gap year.

Same- q5 can be annoyingly sticky- but is sometimes quite easy too- there was one about lockers and closing every nth multiple (2008 i think)

I do not think you will be disadvantaged too much- I recognise your username over the past months from the 2013 step thread
Did you apply to Cambrige, and narrowly miss your offer and now are applying to Oxford?
Reply 205
Original post by nahomyemane778
Same- q5 can be annoyingly sticky- but is sometimes quite easy too- there was one about lockers and closing every nth multiple (2008 i think)

I do not think you will be disadvantaged too much- I recognise your username over the past months from the 2013 step thread
Did you apply to Cambrige, and narrowly miss your offer and now are applying to Oxford?

No - I didnt apply to any Oxbridge last year. I made a bad decision about my firm and decided I wanted to reapply. I'm applying to Cambridge this year, but I need the MAT for Imperial.
Reading through this has made the memories come flooding back :awesome:

I'd just like to say, preparing for the BMO was quite helpful for me for MAT/interview, as well as STEP I papers for those having already done C3/4, as has been already said.

And 2 prospective MathPhils!? Oh my :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Here are a few:
Paper I 1994 Q7
Paper II 1994 Q1
Paper I 1996 Q3
Paper I 1997 Q1
Paper I 1998 Q1

Generally, Q1 will be fairly accessible in paper 1.

Thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 208
Hi.
Do we have to mention under 'Additional Admissions Test' on the UCAS application that we're doing the MAT?
If so, when will the 'Qualification Date' be?
Reply 209
Original post by J10
Hi.
Do we have to mention under 'Additional Admissions Test' on the UCAS application that we're doing the MAT?
If so, when will the 'Qualification Date' be?

When I went to enter it as an additional admissions test, I actually couldn't find an option for it in the drop down list so just left it.
Reply 210
Original post by CD315
When I went to enter it as an additional admissions test, I actually couldn't find an option for it in the drop down list so just left it.

I know, but there a box underneath the drop down menu that enables you to enter any other additional admissions tests. So I'm not sure if I should just use that to enter in the MAT.
Reply 211
Original post by J10
I know, but there a box underneath the drop down menu that enables you to enter any other additional admissions tests. So I'm not sure if I should just use that to enter in the MAT.

I don't think it'll be an issue if you don't :smile:
How do i mark my MAT practice paper i did at home?
Reply 213
Original post by daniyalfaiz
How do i mark my MAT practice paper i did at home?

all the multiple choice question are 4 marks each and the more recent papers have mark schemes that tell you how many marks they were worth.

http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/specimen-tests
i need help in preparing for the MAT Exam that is on 6th Nov 2013, i need help on answering the questions and the logical steps that one should be thinking about :colondollar:

also how are the grade given?? [grades or percentage]
Reply 215
can anybody help me on q3(i) on oxford entrance preparation sheet 1?
I can see how to do it by differntiating a finding the maxima, but i cant see how to do it using only c1/c2 knowledge
Reply 216
Original post by MEPS1996
can anybody help me on q3(i) on oxford entrance preparation sheet 1?
I can see how to do it by differntiating a finding the maxima, but i cant see how to do it using only c1/c2 knowledge

Differentiation is the way to go. Bare in mind these sheets might be quite old and the syllabus was probably different when they were produced. Having said that, they're worth doing anyway as the thought process is probably as important as the material.

Edit: I've just checked briefly and from what I can tell Q3 and 4 of sheet one are the only offending questions.
(edited 10 years ago)
The 2008 paper is such a nice one! (Would get 86 or 90 depending on whether I'm forgiving about the fact that I ignored 1 as a factor of 1000 in Q5...) I'm not sure whether the fact that my scores have been going up as I do most papers is due to correlation or by improvement and patience.
Also, I haven't done many past papers timed which is worrying and I only have 2 left. Woops.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 218
Original post by yl95
The 2008 paper is such a nice one! (Would get 86 or 90 depending on whether I'm forgiving about the fact that I ignored 1 as a factor of 1000 in Q5...) I'm not sure whether the fact that my scores have been going up as I do most papers is due to correlation or by improvement and patience.
Also, I haven't done many past papers timed which is worrying and I only have 2 left. Woops.

Same here. I have 2010, 2011, 2012 left and I'll try do them timed. Sticking to STEP I for now though!
Reply 219
Differentiation is the way to go. Bare in mind these sheets might be quite old and the syllabus was probably different when they were produced. Having said that, they're worth doing anyway as the thought process is probably as important as the material.

Edit: I've just checked briefly and from what I can tell Q3 and 4 of sheet one are the only offending questions.

x+ sqrt(1-x) <= 5/4
sqrt(1-x)<= 5/4 - x
since we are taking the positive square root, both values are not negative,
so |sqrt(1-x)|<= |5/4 - x|
so we can square both sides:
1-x <= (5/4-x)^2= 25/16 - 10/4x +x^2 , x<=1
16-16x <= 25 -40x +16x^2 , x<=1
16x^2-24x+9>=0 , x<=1
(4x-3)^2>=0 , x<=1
x<=1

Quick Reply

Latest