The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Musester

Also got to love our first ever keeper, some massive fat guy called Willy 'Fatty' Foulkes if I remember correctly.

Will Foulke does sound like an awesome person to have watched, mostly because as he got older he turned rather crazy; supposedly once he chased the referee of the pitch, who then hid in his office and refused to come out. There are also the stories of him picking players up and throwing them when they scored past him.

In terms of actual ability I do rate Bonetti ahead of Cech - although he is a close second. It is a shame that he was playing at a time when there were a few other fantastic English goalkeepers; meant he never received the international praise he deserved.
I'm sorry but why is he playing Mikel/Lampard/Ramires all at once?
Clearly shows he isn't thinking too attacking minded and mostly counter-attack. Will be disappointing even more if we accept a draw.
Good to see Torres start but I can't see Ramires being able to pull off slick passes like De Bruyne or Mata would if they were playing.
Starting line-up: Cech; Ivanovic, D Luiz, Terry (c), Cole; Mikel, Lampard; Ramires, Oscar, Hazard; Torres

Mata on the bench.
Not a bad start by Torres. He seems up for it today.
Match thread mate.
Reply 6845
Pretty awful setup today. Hopefully Jose makes some changes sooner rather than later.
Same as usual. Terrible tactics. West-Ham v2 long balls which always fail. 0 away goals scored this season, no need to say more.
Juan Mata is not match fit excuse is pretty old now aswell. No creativity in midfield other than pinging a ball from the half way line expecting Torres to score a heroic goal. This is most definitely a battle for top 4.
He always gets 1-2 players wrong when he puts the starting line up which is the reason for all this.
Reply 6847
Well, incredible second half until that bull**** decision. You could see Mike Dean standing there, clearly having no idea whether or not it was even a foul, and if so who's fault it might have been. Terrible. Not even a ****ing foul, never mind a booking, and never mind sending someone off for it in a ****ing derby.
Reply 6848
**** off Dean.

What a photo! Look at everyone sitting there watching!
Torres was destined to score the winner till he got sent off. What a game.
Exactly why I think Mikel is not good enough against big teams - slowing build up play, lack of creativity, always looks to pass it to defenders and not attackers and slows down the pace of the game.
Mata came on and increased the speed to how it should be played.
Torres is back but too bad he will probably have a 3 game ban.
Oscar completed 56% of his passes today. Mata completed 82%.
Original post by glousck
Oscar completed 56% of his passes today. Mata completed 82%.

That's because Mata is the GOAT.
(edited 10 years ago)
Torres to start in the UCL game! He is a beast, he has gained his fire, power, runs, aggression, literally everything back. All that is left is to give Ba a chance and see whether he has changed aswell.
Got dominated first half and were lucky to not go 2-3 down but 2nd half was a different story. Should have scored a 2nd after Torres' perfect pass to Schurrle. If only Ramires was on the end of that, it would have been another cute dink over the keeper.
What this game has clearly shown is that Mata is the key element we're missing when we lose games - he is a key player that must play every big game.
Original post by The Assassin
That's because Mata is the GOAT.

56% is pretty shocking from Oscar, though
Original post by glousck
56% is pretty shocking from Oscar, though

Yeah overall he had a poor game tbh. Got bullied off the ball a lot. Think the pace of Dembele/Paulinho was hard for him to cope with + the physicality of Vert/Dawson.
But guys, never mind Oscar, I'm quite worried about Hazard. Not sure what is going on with him. He's one of my favourite players but he is really underperforming. He won't take payers on, he isn't scoring, he isn't creating, I really thought he was going to kick on but at this moment he is going backwards, early days though. Maybe... Mata had that much of an influence on the way he played?

Or maybe Mourinho is having him play, well, kind of like a WB and he isn't having as much creative freedom?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6856
Original post by mhsc
Well, incredible second half until that bull**** decision. You could see Mike Dean standing there, clearly having no idea whether or not it was even a foul, and if so who's fault it might have been. Terrible. Not even a ****ing foul, never mind a booking, and never mind sending someone off for it in a ****ing derby.
Init, he made the decision based on who was rolling around more which was Vertonghen, was a fair enough challenge, if anything Vertonghen pulled Torres down by his shirt. Completely killed off the game, if he wanted to give out a red card they both should have got one.

Looked much better second half, that was Torres' best game in ages, MOTM until he got sent off. Mata seemed back to his old self too, reckon we'll see more of him in the starting line up and we looked much better when he came on. Hazard and Oscar didn't really impress though.
Reply 6857
Schurrle was very clumsy imo.
Reply 6858
just moved to uni so had to miss todays match.. can't believe Torres got sent off.. have not seen why though, was it a right decision?
Reply 6859
Original post by silver0
just moved to uni so had to miss todays match.. can't believe Torres got sent off.. have not seen why though, was it a right decision?
No, both him and Vertonghen (who had been tussling all game) went for the ball and clattered each other, Torres could have possibly have kept his footing but Vertonghen pulled him down with him by his shirt, they then both rolled around holding their heads for a bit but Vertonghen put in a more convincing performance and Mike Dean showed Torres his second yellow.

[video="dailymotion;x15amau"]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15amau_tosent_sport?start=0[/video]

In all fairness though Torres scratched at Vertonghen's face earlier in the game and was lucky to only get a yellow for that so swings and roundabouts. Still ruined the last ten minutes though.

Latest