The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5680
I'm glad we have tomorrow off, and even more glad that GTA V online isn't out until later in the day!

I have so much work to do!
Original post by LeFailFish
Haha, not really... a little bit of French, a little bit of German and some Malagasy, but nothing anywhere near fluent except English. Pretty boring really :smile: what about you? Language enthusiast?

Yep! Teacher wants me to do a B2 exam in French.... I really want to do it!
Birmingham only counts the 9 highest? perhaps I should re-look at their Medical programme... and I believe it is for Medical applicants at the top unis, but that's probably just because Medicine is such a competitive course that requires that... so many people applying are private school candidates with like 13 straight A*s at iGCSE and tonnes of work experience through their contacts.

I tell a lie, it's Cardiff that only counts the 9 highest. Medicine applicant or not, 9A*s and 4As are by no means bad grades - it's 0.8% under the average Oxford medicine applicant, but firstly, that's Oxford, and secondly if it's coupled with a good interview and work experience, you should be as good an applicant as any.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Yep! Teacher wants me to do a B2 exam in French.... I really want to do it!

Fair enough :biggrin: my friend Sophie is completely obsess with French... she bought the Harry potter books in French in year 10 and read them until she understood them more or less, and still reads books in French at home for fun. It's crazy! She's something of a langauge genius though - sounds like you're the same! I;d love to be good at another language, but I'm just not very good at picking them up - all the grammar rules and things confuse me. :colondollar:
Original post by Georgiecat
I tell a lie, it's Cardiff that only counts the 9 highest. Medicine applicant or not, 9A*s and 4As are by no means bad grades - it's 0.8% under the average Oxford medicine applicant, but firstly, that's Oxford, and secondly if it's coupled with a good interview and work experience, you should be as good an applicant as any.

Ahh fair enough :smile: I don't think they're bad grades, by any means! I think they're good grades - I just worry about things a lot, and I push myself quite hard so as they're not perfect I'm not as pleased with them as I probably should be :colondollar: perfectionism is horrible sometimes... but thanks so much for the support! :hugs:
Fair enough :biggrin: my friend Sophie is completely obsess with French... she bought the Harry potter books in French in year 10 and read them until she understood them more or less, and still reads books in French at home for fun. It's crazy! She's something of a langauge genius though - sounds like you're the same! I;d love to be good at another language, but I'm just not very good at picking them up - all the grammar rules and things confuse me. :colondollar:

I love all the grammar...

I'm starting a French book called "The Foreigner" as a literal translation, hope it's good!

Would you want to learn learn a language?
Original post by Tibbz2
I'm glad we have tomorrow off, and even more glad that GTA V online isn't out until later in the day!

I have so much work to do!

Why is there a day of tomorrow? My school does not have it :mad:
I love all the grammar...

I'm starting a French book called "The Foreigner" as a literal translation, hope it's good!

Would you want to learn learn a language?

It's interesting, certainly, but really hard! Or is that just me?

I don't think I've heard of it, but a literal translation? Could be odd to read - and quite funny. :tongue:

If I ever had bucket loads of time and learnt to not procrastinate so much, then yes. Whether that'll ever be the case though... :colondollar:
Original post by lolface32

I believe at some places the teacher are striking? My school certainly doesn't have the day off either.
It's interesting, certainly, but really hard! Or is that just me?

I don't think I've heard of it, but a literal translation? Could be odd to read - and quite funny. :tongue:

If I ever had bucket loads of time and learnt to not procrastinate so much, then yes. Whether that'll ever be the case though... :colondollar:

Most find it hard tbh!

Not funny:tongue: his mum dies on the first page.

When you find the time, message me!
Ahh fair enough :smile: I don't think they're bad grades, by any means! I think they're good grades - I just worry about things a lot, and I push myself quite hard so as they're not perfect I'm not as pleased with them as I probably should be :colondollar: perfectionism is horrible sometimes... but thanks so much for the support! :hugs:

Haha, no, I know exactly what you mean! I do that too, like I got a few borderline A*s this year and there was still a niggling feeling of disappointment that I could have scored higher... the rational part of me knows that it's silly to get hung up on things like the exact UMS I got, but my inner perfectionist-grammar-school-student disagrees :tongue: Which is why, if I see someone else doing it, I try to stop them before it ends up in a downward spiral!
Reply 5691
Original post by techno836
what are we doing tomorrow with our day off ? :biggrin:

You've also got a day off :five::five: I'm probably going to sleep for half of the day then work....I've got so much to do:frown: wbu?
Most find it hard tbh!

Not funny:tongue: his mum dies on the first page.

When you find the time, message me!

Glad I'm not the only one! :biggrin:

Oh dear :eek: poor main character. He has my sympathy. :wink:

I shall do! Now, to arrange time in my hectic life...
Original post by Georgiecat
Haha, no, I know exactly what you mean! I do that too, like I got a few borderline A*s this year and there was still a niggling feeling of disappointment that I could have scored higher... the rational part of me knows that it's silly to get hung up on things like the exact UMS I got, but my inner perfectionist-grammar-school-student disagrees :tongue: Which is why, if I see someone else doing it, I try to stop them before it ends up in a downward spiral!

Oh yeah, the borderline ones are the worst! When you're only one mark off something :mad: you always kick yourself so much after. I suppose it can end up in a downward spiral... all the pressure you put on yourself and stuff. It's hard to get out of the habit though.
Oh yeah, the borderline ones are the worst! When you're only one mark off something :mad: you always kick yourself so much after. I suppose it can end up in a downward spiral... all the pressure you put on yourself and stuff. It's hard to get out of the habit though.

No, I mean I was borderline into an A* (in the sense that I was 1 or 2 UMS away from an A)! But yeah, I know exactly what you mean! Plus, as I said, I got to a grammar school where - no joke - an A* is considered quite good (though if it was a low UMS you might want to think about a retake or a remark), an A is considered decent (but a retake is by no means out of the equation), a B isn't great (and a retake/remark is likely), and anything below is total failure. It's slightly ridiculous!
Reply 5695
I don't have one...

Probably not the people who actually post :smile:

You go to a private school so it doesn't have to close does it ??

Original post by Cluck
I could have 90% of one but won't know until we turn up to empty lessons :s-smilie: So working in college, I suppose, not that there will be any space for all 2000 of us to work if classrooms are shut.

Ahhh ours was gonna do that but there is only one teacher not in a union apparently :L
Reply 5696
Original post by EduWiz
You've also got a day off :five::five: I'm probably going to sleep for half of the day then work....I've got so much to do:frown: wbu?

I don't have much actually :biggrin: and definitely having a long sleep :smile:
Original post by lolface32

Weren't some schools going to close due to strikes tomorrow? :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Inexorably
Weren't some schools going to close due to strikes tomorrow? :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nnnnnoooooo!! I want a day off school too :frown: I hope they turn students away tomorrow or something, I could do with the extra time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5699
I was planning on doing some work but so far I've just been finishing off Season 5 of Breaking Bad :biggrin:

Much more fun!

Latest