The Student Room Group

Is this normal?

uni is seriously making me depressed. There are so many people in lectures I find it hard to get to know people. I usually just find out their name and where they are from and then that's it and maybe talk about the work... how do I develop things further? In my flat I feel lonely. There okay people but I feel like I am not good enough for them? One of them never looks at me when I say hello and doesn't even bother saying it back now. I think it's quite rude. I feel like giving up..
At the end of the next lecture, as everyone stands up to go, say 'Anyone fancy a coffee?'.

This takes courage but when just one person says yes, you've made a big breakthrough.
I find making mildly sarcastic comments to no-one in particular when people are around works quite well, as you often get a few smiles. You could always deploy the polar bear joke...
Reply 3
Original post by sunny103
uni is seriously making me depressed. There are so many people in lectures I find it hard to get to know people. I usually just find out their name and where they are from and then that's it and maybe talk about the work... how do I develop things further? In my flat I feel lonely. There okay people but I feel like I am not good enough for them? One of them never looks at me when I say hello and doesn't even bother saying it back now. I think it's quite rude. I feel like giving up..

It's easier to meet people in seminars rather than lectures due to the smaller nature of the groups.
Original post by Kilaskwiral
I find making mildly sarcastic comments to no-one in particular when people are around works quite well, as you often get a few smiles. You could always deploy the polar bear joke...

What polar bear joke? :confused:

It's not rude is it? :tongue:
Reply 5
Thanks guys! I'm not sure how to make friends in lectures?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by sunny103
Thanks guys! I'm not sure how to make friends in lectures?

Posted from TSR Mobile

sit next to someone and say hi before the lecture starts? easier to do in a seminar though
Original post by GregOrganist
What polar bear joke? :confused:

It's not rude is it? :tongue:

How much does a polar bear weigh?

*I don't know*

Neither do I, but it broke the ice/enough to break the ice...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending