The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I haven't seen much of that site, but they're not allowed to make up quotes like that. It's alright man :hugs:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by The Assassin
I haven't seen much of that site, but they're not allowed to make up quotes like that. It's alright man :hugs:

Your avatar reminds me of a dude who used to frequent this thread from time to time, ages ago. His username was MIKE ESSIEN IS QUITE SIK :rofl:
Reply 7382
Original post by Isometrix
Your avatar reminds me of a dude who used to frequent this thread from time to time, ages ago. His username was MIKE ESSIEN IS QUITE SIK :rofl:

:lol: :lol:

Essien :adore: Will put my Essien shirt on the next time he starts!

Doesn't stop these websites though, does it? Not if they'll get hits because of it. And given that he didn't do any interviews after the match and that they are the only people quoting it, I think I know that smell :smile:
Don't know why you're continuing; another case where you're trying to avoid working so will do anything to pass the time :wink:? It sort of does, though. They have to be careful with what they say/claim as a fact, as well as attributing the quotes, because it could open them up to legal action. Generally they'd say 'a source close to' or something, then they wouldn't have to reveal their source, so can publish what they like without fear of action. Maybe it wasn't that site that had the reporters who spoke to him, but looking at how Ozil reacted after the game I wouldn't be surprised if he felt that way.

Your best player said what he feels about Mourinho. Accept it -- or don't if you feel? Maybe write to the newspapers expressing your sadness and anger... :dontknow:

Anyways...

That's jokes :lol: Well, I'm sure we all agree! :tongue:

I don't think he'll get over his injuries but to get back into half the player he was would be great! Looked quite good for RM as a midfielder so it's possible.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7385
lol at assassins response.
Original post by jam277
lol at assassins response.

was gonna quote you in the Arsenal thread but i'll say it here. I hope Arsenal drop down the league table like a plane out of the sky. Self-righteous and nostalgic like Liverpool fans (who are even worse in that sense)
Don't know why you're continuing; another case where you're trying to avoid working so will do anything to pass the time :wink:? It sort of does, though. They have to be careful with what they say/claim as a fact, as well as attributing the quotes, because it could open them up to legal action. Generally they'd say 'a source close to' or something, then they wouldn't have to reveal their source, so can publish what they like without fear of action. Maybe it wasn't that site that had the reporters who spoke to him, but looking at how Ozil reacted after the game I wouldn't be surprised if he felt that way.

Your best player said what he feels about Mourinho. Accept it -- or don't if you feel? Maybe write to the newspapers expressing your sadness and anger... :dontknow:

Anyways...

I think you're overestimating how much I care about what he said, all I did was point how out unreliable the source was, more 'reliable' papers like the Independent and Daily Mail (O.K., I use the term reliable loosely :tongue: but the competition here is low) didn't even print it. Who knows where the quotes actually originated from, but like I said I don't really care for how he views Mourinho as it wouldn't be a surprise for Özil to think highly of him, even if their relationship was supposedly fractious at times.

I'm gonna leave it there, anyway. I was actually on my break at the time, now however...:wink: And if I drag this out any longer, I love playing devils advocate on this thread and I'm pretty sure you all hate me for it :tongue:
Okay guys you know what's next, right? It's November. This is the time, in recent seasons, where we drop down like an avalanche and our hopes for challenging for the title evaporate.

Given the circumstances recently including Newcastle's lack of confidence and inept manager, we should show up, do what we've been doing and get the 3 points. But nonetheless, tradition may get in the way.

We shall see if that true Mourinho mentality is really instilled within us and the belief SFL has spoken about has returned. We have to fight, face crappy weather and eek out the 3 points that took us to the titles under Jose in his first reign, ala Blackburn. So, this game is a good proving ground for what we are made of now!

^Bulletz, I share your sentiments bro.
Reply 7389

I remember that guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyJUrpElkUs

The Essien goal needs to be posted again just cause the great man is being talked about!
Reply 7390
Original post by 9MmBulletz
was gonna quote you in the Arsenal thread but i'll say it here. I hope Arsenal drop down the league table like a plane out of the sky. Self-righteous and nostalgic like Liverpool fans (who are even worse in that sense)

:rofl: I'm bored of telling these guys the truth, it's the fact I've said for weeks that di maria was a better option to get and them berating me, then when they realise that they can't play through the middle against top teams they finally realise they need a direct winger with pace who's at least as good as walcott if not better(the dortmund match e.g. and this match was a testament to that) and they finally agree. Purple patch will be over soon, hold tight arsenal's title challenge. Funnily enough zurich is the only person who probably agreed with me that wenger didn't do enough in the window.

I'm gonna leave it at that. Pool thread aren't even that bad. United thread depends, you get the odd arrogant guy who thinks they'll win the treble but bar that they're mainly cool, for such a large subset they have a good ratio of idiots/WUMs to good posters so I won't talk.

Original post by iRush
I remember that guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyJUrpElkUs

The Essien goal needs to be posted again just cause the great man is being talked about!

I've just appreciated how good this guy was for us. Shame we didn't win more titles in the united vs chelsea 2 horse race period.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jam277
:rofl: I'm bored of telling these guys the truth, it's the fact I've said for weeks that di maria was a better option to get and them berating me, then when they realise that they can't play through the middle against top teams they finally realise they need a direct winger with pace who's at least as good as walcott if not better(the dortmund match e.g. and this match was a testament to that) and they finally agree. Purple patch will be over soon, hold tight arsenal's title challenge. Funnily enough zurich is the only person who probably agreed with me that wenger didn't do enough in the window.

I'm gonna leave it at that. Pool thread aren't even that bad. United thread depends, you get the odd arrogant guy who thinks they'll win the treble but bar that they're mainly cool, for such a large subset they have a good ratio of idiots/WUMs to good posters so I won't talk.

They're gonna challenge for the title though and probably even the double; the October champions combined with the fourth place trophy :cool:.

Just remember who the October champions are come March!
Reply 7392
They do winter champions in germany. Shame it's not the case here. :frown:
Original post by jam277

To be fair, I think they all realise that at the moment they do need a pacy winger to get behind defences, but did they need one at the start of the season? They already have three very direct wingers (overly direct if anything) in Podolski, Ox and Walcott, as well as one or two youth players coming through the ranks. Di Maria may well be better than them, but by getting Ozil, they've completely removed their absolute dependence on Cazorla to create everything for them.

It's easy to say that buying a direct winger would've been a wise move in retrospect with those injuries, but if the three they have didn't get injured then no doubt one of them (if not two) would be getting no game time at all.
Reply 7394
Original post by heyimbored
To be fair, I think they all realise that at the moment they do need a pacy winger to get behind defences, but did they need one at the start of the season? They already have three very direct wingers (overly direct if anything) in Podolski, Ox and Walcott, as well as one or two youth players coming through the ranks. Di Maria may well be better than them, but by getting Ozil, they've completely removed their absolute dependence on Cazorla to create everything for them.

It's easy to say that buying a direct winger would've been a wise move in retrospect with those injuries, but if the three they have didn't get injured then no doubt one of them (if not two) would be getting no game time at all.

Podolski isn't good enough first of all, while ox is still developing. Walcott ain't even that great but he's the best of what they got so you can't complain too much about him. Di maria would have upgraded on a much needed position
Rosicky and cazorla played a lot last season together which stopped their dependance on him.

I said this before the ozil signing when podolski and walcott were still fit. It was clear before the transfer window ended and from the end of last season that this type of player was needed and the past two games have highlighted that need.

Ozil only helped as cazorla was out and even then with the fixtures they had and the creativity they have without ozil they'd have had a similar points total to what they have now. He's probably only given them 3 points at best and they had more points from those respective fixtures last season apparently anyway which says it all.
Original post by heyimbored

Spot on. But apparently Walcott and Podolski, two of the most productive wingers in the league last year, aren't good enough anyway :lol:

Couldn't disagree more that we should have taken Di Maria over Özil to be honest. Walcott is so important to how we play, just by being on the pitch he creates space for others and he's always good for a goal of an assist despite it being vogue to call him crap etc. Cazorla seriously burnt out at the end of last season, he played every match because we didn't have any other options (Rosicky only played 10 games). Not only does Özil solve that, but he allows us to upgrade on the LW too. I agree with Jam that we could have done with direct players vs Chelsea/Dortmund, but we've been unlucky with injuries to those very players.

Also, after last season, I can't help but laugh at Chelsea fans taking the mickey out of the October trophy :wink: But I see it's Arsenal fan bashing month again, again the irony being that the only people talking about Arsenal winning the title are the very rival fans who take the piss out of Arsenal for talking about winning the title :doh:
Reply 7396
Original post by EmperorMustard
Spot on. But apparently Walcott and Podolski, two of the most productive wingers in the league last year, aren't good enough anyway :lol:

Couldn't disagree more that we should have taken Di Maria over Özil to be honest. Walcott is so important to how we play, just by being on the pitch he creates space for others and he's always good for a goal of an assist despite it being vogue to call him crap etc. Cazorla seriously burnt out at the end of last season, he played every match because we didn't have any other options (Rosicky only played 10 games). Not only does Özil solve that, but he allows us to upgrade on the LW too. I agree with Jam that we could have done with direct players vs Chelsea/Dortmund, but we've been unlucky with injuries to those very players.

Also, after last season, I can't help but laugh at Chelsea fans taking the mickey out of the October trophy :wink: But I see it's Arsenal fan bashing month again, again the irony being that the only people talking about Arsenal winning the title are the very rival fans who take the piss out of Arsenal for talking about winning the title :doh:

Preach man. And about Zurich been the only one realising wenger didn't do well in transfer market. I've yet to find one person (within the sane cohort) that didn't think he failed massively.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7397
Original post by EmperorMustard

I said walcott is important to the side, like I said schurrle is important to our side. I'm not a fan of him, but I see why you need him and he does have ability despite his one dimensional running. But di maria is a better alternative to walcott and podolski on the wings. At the very least ADM's much better than podolski, although walcott provides a goalscoring threat. Plus it's not a straight swap between di maria and walcott either seeing as he's able to play on both flanks. Plus you add to the fact that wenger wants and chamberlain wants to play through the middle, then it's not as bad as you'd think if you got di maria there and played rosicky, chamberlain and cazorla in the middle.

Rosicky played ten games, who's fault is that? Wenger for not picking him when he was fit, although he did get injured last season tbf I'm sure there were games he could have been picked for but wenger preferred using gervinho/podolski or overusing cazorla.

Funny about the last paragraph. Pretty much accepted we'll come second at best since last year in july, just go to post 13 of this thread(although it was in march) where I pretty much said that it was obvious our season was gonna go this way. Considering a lot of you guys are in denial that you'll go on a downturn in form the next two months (which I've been saying but people have tried to rubbish my posts due to your run of form from march) I don't think what we said was anywhere out of order or hypocritical like you try to make it out to be.

You guys have this victim mentality :rofl:
Original post by jam277

Not having won anything for a while is driving people mad. Its funny and sad all at the same time.
Original post by jam277
I said walcott is important to the side, like I said schurrle is important to our side. I'm not a fan of him, but I see why you need him and he does have ability despite his one dimensional running. But di maria is a better alternative to walcott and podolski on the wings. At the very least ADM's much better than podolski, although walcott provides a goalscoring threat. Plus it's not a straight swap between di maria and walcott either seeing as he's able to play on both flanks. Plus you add to the fact that wenger wants and chamberlain wants to play through the middle, then it's not as bad as you'd think if you got di maria there and played rosicky, chamberlain and cazorla in the middle.

Rosicky played ten games, who's fault is that? Wenger for not picking him when he was fit, although he did get injured last season tbf I'm sure there were games he could have been picked for but wenger preferred using gervinho/podolski or overusing cazorla.

Funny about the last paragraph. Pretty much accepted we'll come second at best since last year in july, just go to post 13 of this thread(although it was in march) where I pretty much said that it was obvious our season was gonna go this way. Considering a lot of you guys are in denial that you'll go on a downturn in form the next two months (which I've been saying but people have tried to rubbish my posts due to your run of form from march) I don't think what we said was anywhere out of order or hypocritical like you try to make it out to be.

DAMN jam going in with guns blazing. BOOM POW POW.

this, essentially. Also to add, I dunno about the October trophy with regards to Chelsea as well because most of us knew we weren't ready to challenge (and that the yearly November doom cycle would once again repeat itself). Arsenal fans are going crazy with some of their comments this year though (maybe a less extent on this site but there are a few).

But anyways, for those who think we were competing for that title, well, we've now moved on to bigger and better things, so we'll be kind enough to give other clubs the opportunity. See, we are a classy club :wink:

nice sig. :lol:
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest