The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

I'm struggling to make sense of this diagrammatically. Can anyone help?Untitled4.png

Also, have I gone mad, or is this forgetting the little bit at the corner?Untitled5.png
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 841
Original post by jadoreétudier
I'm struggling to make sense of this diagrammatically. Can anyone help?Untitled4.png

Also, have I gone mad, or is this forgetting the little bit at the corner?Untitled5.png

The second attachment is just wrong! You're correct, it DOES neglect the corner. As for the first, take an equation Ax+By=C. Think about how it'll look as you vary the signs of A and B between positive and negative. You're looking for the case where there will be a FINITE number of positive integer solutions, that is, a finite portion of the first quadrant will satisfy Ax+By<C. This immediately rules out positive slope of x axis. Negative slope can be achieved by keeping A and B both positive or by keeping them both negative. But in the second case, the region satisfying Ax+By<C is the upper region, so there are infinite solutions. In the first case, it is the lower region, so it has finitely many solutions. Now replace A, B by the suitable constants and set them positive. Does this make sense? (I don't remember the question properly, so I might have got something wrong. Please tell me if I messed up or didn't explain properly.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by souktik
The second attachment is just wrong! You're correct, it DOES neglect the corner. As for the first, take an equation Ax+By=C. Think about how it'll look as you vary the signs of A and B between positive and negative. You're looking for the case where there will be a FINITE number of positive integer solutions, that is, a finite portion of the first quadrant will satisfy Ax+By<C. This immediately rules out positive slope of x axis. Negative slope can be achieved by keeping A and B both positive or by keeping them both negative. But in the second case, the region satisfying Ax+By<C is the upper region, so there are infinite solutions. In the first case, it is the lower region, so it has finitely many solutions. Now replace A, B by the suitable constants and set them positive. Does this make sense? (I don't remember the question properly, so I might have got something wrong. Please tell me if I messed up or didn't explain properly.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Makes perfect sense, thank you so much!
Reply 843
Makes perfect sense, thank you so much!

You're welcome! :smile:
One question, if you don't mind. Err, where is that second attachment from? Is that on any website?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by souktik
You're welcome! :smile:
One question, if you don't mind. Err, where is that second attachment from? Is that on any website?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea, slide 35
http://www.drfrostmaths.com/resource.php?id=11226
Reply 845

you are indeed correct
I calculated r=3-2root2
Does anyone know where/if the mark scheme for the 2006 paper can be found? I can't seem to find it anywhere...
Original post by bluebell_flames
Does anyone know where/if the mark scheme for the 2006 paper can be found? I can't seem to find it anywhere...

there isn't one but we discussed our answers on this thread yesterday

around here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=45034414#post45034414
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by sun_tzu
you are indeed correct
I calculated r=3-2root2

me too

i actually got (root2 - 1)/ (root2 +1), which when I put into my calculator gives me what you got.

yay, i just simplified it myself by multiplying and dividing by (root2 - 1)
there isn't one but we discussed our answers on this thread yesterday

around here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=45034414#post45034414

Thank you!! :smile:
Hey guy's can someone help me on section A question H.

The answers say it's pi / 9 - 1/6 but I keep getting pi / 9 - root 3 / 12.

Can someone check where the error is in my method?

What I've done is found the sector, with radius 1 angle 2pi/3 (using inverse trig). Then I took away the triangle from it which was side length 1 and 1 and angle 2pi/3.

I then doubled this to find the shaded area, giving me 2pi /3 - root3 / 2.
I then divided by 6, the area of the rectangle.

Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 851
I got pi/9 - root3 /12
same as you so we are wrong together (or right hopefully)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 852
me too

i actually got (root2 - 1)/ (root2 +1), which when I put into my calculator gives me what you got.

yay, i just simplified it myself by multiplying and dividing by (root2 - 1)

how did you get that?
Original post by IceKidd
how did you get that?

The square root of 2 (from the centre to the top right corner) is equal to 1 + 2r + the little bit.

Find the little bit in terms of r and then solve the above equation for r. I'm sure you can do it :wink:
Reply 854
Original post by BankOfPigs
Hey guy's can someone help me on section A question H.

The answers say it's pi / 9 - 1/6 but I keep getting pi / 9 - root 3 / 12.

Can someone check where the error is in my method?

What I've done is found the sector, with radius 1 angle 2pi/3 (using inverse trig). Then I took away the triangle from it which was side length 1 and 1 and angle 2pi/3.

I then doubled this to find the shaded area, giving me 2pi /3 - root3 / 2.
I then divided by 6, the area of the rectangle.

Thanks

Where did you get the root3 / 2 from???
Using basically the same method, I obtain pi/9 - 1/6, and the only difference I can see is that when you "took away the triangle from it which was side length 1 and 1 and angle 2pi/3", I took away the triangle whose base is 2 and its height is 1/2.

That's why there shouldn't be any root three anywhere... WOW wait a minute... Nope, I'm wrong, but I see why the answer is wrong too. They supposed the length of the triangle was two (when it actually is root 3). So you're both correct!
Does it matter if we do the exam in pencil or pen?
Yes - you must use pen. With pencil answers could be 'tampered with'.
Reply 857
Does it matter if we do the exam in pencil or pen?

I just realised how little I know about the technical aspects of the test. Can anyone answer this? Does crossed out work get checked if no other working is present?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4
Reply 858
The square root of 2 (from the centre to the top right corner) is equal to 1 + 2r + the little bit.

Find the little bit in terms of r and then solve the above equation for r. I'm sure you can do it :wink:

but im stumped on how you could find the little bit!
Reply 859
you need a ruler, rubber, protractor, compass, sharpener, highlighters, at least 10 colouring pencils, 20 is ideal. It's also recommended to bring an umbrella and a spare pair of socks

kidding just bring a pen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending