The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yl95
No freaking way. I put B) 7 for the coefficient question. But why would they do that? Surely you can't be expected to do the whole binomial expansion and differentiate for that?

There was no question which required the binomial expansion. Which coefficient question are you talking about?

If it says something like:

((x2x+2)4+(x5x4+x)5)4((x^2-x+2)^4+(x^5-x^4+x)^5)^4

and asks for the largest power of x, just work out the largest power of x in each inside bracket. Here, on left it is x^(2x4)=x^8 and on the right it is x^(5x5)=x^25. Take the largest (here x^25) and go up one level in brackets. Here: x^(25x4)=x^100.

If there are three layers of brackets then repeat for the other side then up one more layer.

Hope this helps.
Original post by Mathsforlife
u didnt have to do that ... only luk at coefficient of x^7 .. ignore rest.

I know but how would we know if the coefficient of x^6 was 0 etc.? We'd have to test those out too.
Original post by SimDawg
Does your MAT score have to be better for Maths & CS? As Question 6 is usually much easier than the rest of the paper each year

Yes, usually slightly higher. They also assured someone else here a couple of years ago that they definitely do not compare scores across different applied for degrees, not that anybody necessarily expected them to.
Original post by President Snow
There was no question which required the binomial expansion. Which coefficient question are you talking about?

If it says something like:

((x2x+2)4+(x5x4+x)5)4((x^2-x+2)^4+(x^5-x^4+x)^5)^4

and asks for the largest power of x, just work out the largest power of x in each inside bracket. Here, on left it is x^(2x4)=x^8 and on the right it is x^(5x5)=x^25. Take the largest (here x^25) and go up one level in brackets. Here: x^(25x4)=x^100.

If there are three layers of brackets then repeat for the other side then up one more layer.

Hope this helps.

I know how to do those questions, haha, but thanks.That's exactly how I did it in the question but there was a trick (ie the largest power's coefficient of was 0)...
Yes, usually slightly higher. They also assured someone else here a couple of years ago that they definitely do not compare scores across different applied for degrees, not that anybody necessarily expected them to.

Are you at Oxford? Damn it.
Also, according to my maths teacher, when providing feedback after the process is over, for the first year ever, they will NOT be releasing our MAT scores. Apparently every other admissions test (ELAT, PAT, CAT, BMAT, TSA, etc.) will still provide raw marks, but we will never get our marks back. :frown:

Anyone else heard this or have a reliable source?
Original post by yl95
I know but how would we know if the coefficient of x^6 was 0 etc.? We'd have to test those out too.

U didnt have to do that cause next option was less than 7 ..
Original post by yl95
Are you at Oxford? Damn it.

No actually, I'm not (only hoping to be and looking less likely now!!), just repeating back what I've heard said in previous years.
Reply 1088
Also, according to my maths teacher, when providing feedback after the process is over, for the first year ever, they will NOT be releasing our MAT scores. Apparently every other admissions test (ELAT, PAT, CAT, BMAT, TSA, etc.) will still provide raw marks, but we will never get our marks back. :frown:

Anyone else heard this or have a reliable source?

My exams officer told us that you can ask for your scores on all of those admissions tests after the interview period, so I dunno.
Original post by yl95
I know how to do those questions, haha, but thanks.That's exactly how I did it in the question but there was a trick (ie the largest power's coefficient of was 0)...

Oh! I'm really sorry, I thought that was what you meant. Otherwise it was just looking at which parts give x^6, etc., as you have already worked out. So sorry.
Original post by mathsforlife
u didnt have to do that cause next option was less than 7 ..

but the trick was unfair. ;(
Oh! I'm really sorry, I thought that was what you meant. Otherwise it was just looking at which parts give x^6, etc., as you have already worked out. So sorry.

No. there's no reason to apologise at all! How did you find it?
Original post by yl95
but the trick was unfair. ;(

lol .. i know I got lucky .. cause i was just curious enough to work it out when I saw less than 7.
Original post by Mathsforlife
lol .. i know I got lucky .. cause i was just curious enough to work it out when I saw less than 7.

What was the answer for the area bound by the curve and the straight line?
Reply 1094
what was the answer for q1 part (ii)? the refelction of y=sinx q?
Original post by kapur
what was the answer for q1 part (ii)? the refelction of y=sinx q?

I got y=sinx+4 or +5
Original post by yl95
I got y=sinx+4 or +5

was 5 I think.
Reply 1097
Original post by yl95
I got y=sinx+4 or +5

I got sinx+4 too :smile:
Reply 1098
Original post by yl95
I still think that the average will go down by a few marks. Having got over the shock, I still think that Q1 was comparatively harder than previous years.

Original post by dutchmaths
Someone from Oxford (user gavinlowe) said that Q1 was harder on this paper than in previous years a few pages back. That being said, I felt like Q3-5 were easier than in past years, so who knows?

Perhaps, but I'd argue that an easier Q2-Q5 has more of an effect on the average mark than a harder Q1, purely on the basis that Q1 is multiple choice and there's nearly always 1 or 2 (usually the latter) utterly absurd choices, which leaves a 50% chance of being able to guess them correctly with next to no work in actually figuring out which of the two it must be.
Original post by omar333
What did people get for the last part of question 5? I got 40095 but both my friends got around 50,000

lol that's what I got.. but it's way higher than what other people on this thread got so I just kept silent and cried inside. *Hi5* dude!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending