The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1100
Original post by President Snow
Yes, usually slightly higher. They also assured someone else here a couple of years ago that they definitely do not compare scores across different applied for degrees, not that anybody necessarily expected them to.

No. It doesn't need to be higher, when someone applies for maths or any of the joint degrees they are all lumped into one big category, there's no limit on how many people they'll accept for Maths & CS or Maths & Phil, they'll literally just accept the best of the bunch at interview, regardless of what they've applied for. If it happens that those who get in for Maths & CS have a slightly higher MAT, it's not because you need to have a higher one, just that those they accepted did.
Original post by kapur
what was the answer for q1 part (ii)? the refelction of y=sinx q?

I'm fairly sure it was sinx+4.
Reply 1102
Original post by omar333
What did people get for the last part of question 5? I got 40095 but both my friends got around 50,000

I believe I got 13500.
Reply 1103
Original post by yl95
What was the answer for the area bound by the curve and the straight line?

If I remember correctly, pi/4-1/root2.
Reply 1104
Original post by dutchmaths
I'm fairly sure it was sinx+4.

ohh alright thanks! and for q1 part (iii) i got (c) as my answer but i dont remember the value. the fx gx hx question. what did you guys get?
I just figured how out how I messed the shaded area question :/ It was so easy with geometry but I made a mistake trying to use integrals, Dammmmnn me.

Btw did anyone get f(t)=(2t-1)^3/2 for the functional equation question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by souktik
If I remember correctly, pi/4-1/root2.

Yes! I guessed right! I had no clue whatsoever on how to do this, so I just looked at what was likely, and pi/4-1/root2 stood out to me as being logical.
Reply 1107
Hi, I'm applying for maths and philosophy and I'm devastated about this test, I think I probably got in the 40s (Max 55) :frown: I panicked on question four and so only answered the first two parts of 5... I got 9 A*s at GCSE and have a 4 A* prediction, do you think they'll still interview me?
Original post by kapur
ohh alright thanks! and for q1 part (iii) i got (c) as my answer but i dont remember the value. the fx gx hx question. what did you guys get?

I think I got something with (2x) at the end of it, but I wasn't sure.
Original post by yl95
What was the answer for the area bound by the curve and the straight line?

I dont remember exact value .. but i remember B... pretty sure on that.
Yes! I guessed right! I had no clue whatsoever on how to do this, so I just looked at what was likely, and pi/4-1/root2 stood out to me as being logical.

I guessed the same answer for that question too after making some approximations and getting no-where :smile:
I think I got something with (2x) at the end of it, but I wasn't sure.

it was h(2x)
Reply 1112
Original post by journeyinwards
I just figured how out how I messed the shaded area question :/ It was so easy with geometry but I made a mistake trying to use integrals, Dammmmnn me.

Btw did anyone get f(t)=(2t-1)^3/2 for the functional equation question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I got f(t)=t.g(t). There are probably infinite solutions, though.
Reply 1113
Original post by Mathsforlife
it was h(2x)

in the question was there g'(X) and h(x)'s only,, or was there also a f(x) in there somewhere?
Reply 1114
Original post by souktik
I think I got f(t)=t.g(t). There are probably infinite solutions, though.

same with u
Original post by IceKidd
in the question was there g'(X) and h(x)'s only,, or was there also a f(x) in there somewhere?

i think just h stuff
Reply 1116
Original post by IceKidd

i really hope h(2x) is option c :P

also in q3 we had to transform fk(x) to f (2-k)x. that really baffled me :s
Reply 1117
I'm really gutted about how this went for me, I think I could have done so much better. I have 11 A*s for GCSE, four As at AS and predicted 4A*s, do you think they might still interview me even though my score is probably below average?
What did people get on the first question? I was fairly sure is was a>2 but now I'm not sure anymore.
Could we set up a document of all multiple choice questions and the answers that everybody agrees on? I'm sure our collective memory is good enough to remember all the questions!
Original post by ziggyl
I'm really gutted about how this went for me, I think I could have done so much better. I have 11 A*s for GCSE, four As at AS and predicted 4A*s, do you think they might still interview me even though my score is probably below average?

Below average would probably be sub-50-ish. I'm not going to say you definitely won't get an interview with that score (because they can 'rescue' students who fall under the cut-off), but you'll have a lot to prove if you do! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending