Scroll to see replies

Original post by LucyTheWeird
Hello everyone... kinda late joining this I guess :colondollar:

Helloo!

Helloooo :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had a nice birthday with a lovely spa day spent with my Mum. Was very nice, but didn't FEEL like my birthday, probably me getting old... :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi hi hi welcome, what subjects u doing? :smile: if u have already said I'm very sorry i'll blame it on being on mobile but they've updated it now..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Georgiecat
Helloo!

Original post by marinajelly

Aw I feel so welcome :biggrin: makes a change from real life I suppose :wink:
Original post by Nat_LPS
Hi hi hi welcome, what subjects u doing? :smile: if u have already said I'm very sorry i'll blame it on being on mobile but they've updated it now..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing physics, maths, further maths and computing (and also thinking about self-teaching the philosophy & theology Pre-U.. but procrastination) :smile: what are you doing?
Well I failed my Math test on integration because I, wait for it, forgot to integrate :facepalm:

Onwards to C2! :ahhhhh:

Aw I feel so welcome :biggrin: makes a change from real life I suppose :wink:

I'm doing physics, maths, further maths and computing (and also thinking about self-teaching the philosophy & theology Pre-U.. but procrastination) :smile: what are you doing?

A girl? Doing Computing? wuuuuuuuuuuuuuut :tongue: I'm also doing it, made any cool programs yet?
It's been almost 2 months and there are still people on my Twitter feed wishing they could go back to Year 11 :mmm:

I note, sadistically, that these people are the morons who treated me like I was **** (while still being friendly and in my friend group :tongue:) for wanting to learn :colone: I've only met one person so far at sixth form who seems to make that sort of judgement against people.
Original post by Glitch96
Well I failed my Math test on integration because I, wait for it, forgot to integrate :facepalm:
Onwards to C2! :ahhhhh:
A girl? Doing Computing? wuuuuuuuuuuuuuut :tongue: I'm also doing it, made any cool programs yet?

Yeah, a girl doing computing! There are actually three of us in the class! It must be a record :biggrin:
The programs I've made are this thing where each first letter of a name is assigned a lucky colour and an each day of the week an unlucky colour (the input is the person's birthday dd/mm/yy and their last name). I suppose that was kind of cool... but not in the grand scheme of things XD
I've also made programs for the first three project Euler problems, and made programs to convert inputted binary to denary and vice versa... and also made a bubble sort program (with the boolean). Such skill. :tongue:

It kind of sucks because the school wants us to use VB, but I want to use Java even though I've just started learning that. One of my friends is using Python (I should really learn that, so much easier than Java - but then again I am learning C too (well, that's the idea..))

On the plus side it's really easy to write a Trojan in VB :biggrin:
Have you done any cool programs? I hope for your sake they're cooler than mine lol
Yeah, a girl doing computing! There are actually three of us in the class! It must be a record :biggrin:
The programs I've made are this thing where each first letter of a name is assigned a lucky colour and an each day of the week an unlucky colour (the input is the person's birthday dd/mm/yy and their last name). I suppose that was kind of cool... but not in the grand scheme of things XD
I've also made programs for the first three project Euler problems, and made programs to convert inputted binary to denary and vice versa... and also made a bubble sort program (with the boolean). Such skill. :tongue:

It kind of sucks because the school wants us to use VB, but I want to use Java even though I've just started learning that. One of my friends is using Python (I should really learn that, so much easier than Java - but then again I am learning C too (well, that's the idea..))

On the plus side it's really easy to write a Trojan in VB :biggrin:
Have you done any cool programs? I hope for your sake they're cooler than mine lol

Not a single one in mine, someone needs to show them computers don't byte :tongue:
Ah nice, it's always awesome when you click run and it does its thing without syntax errors (apparently I can't run programs off USB when the console is on the desktop either :/)
project Euler? Haven't heard of that before *summons Google*

We usually make programs to show we can use different techniques and every now and then a larger task like jumbling up words and having you guess what the original word was, we recently made a sort of adventurers inventory, if I get the time I will make my own text based adventure game! :biggrin:

Never heard of visual basic before, we've used Python from day one (besides pseudo code/flow diagrams) but I complain about how Java is superior :tongue: Haven't had a look at C but apparently it's complicated.

How do you know this? PM a resource pack xD I remember was reading up on phreaking in school in Y9 and I got told off, Even if you're not the malicious kind its still cool to know these things, all that power if you wanted to :colone: Also there's a coursework task in A2 so i'd like to see how that plays out.
(edited 10 years ago)
Not a single one in mine, someone needs to show them computers don't byte :tongue:
Ah nice, it's always awesome when you click run and it does its thing without syntax errors (apparently I can't run programs off USB when the console is on the desktop :/ either)
project Euler? Haven't heard of that before *summons Google*

we usually make programs to show we can use different techniques and every now and then a larger task like jumbling up words and having you guess what the original word was, we recently made a sort of adventurers inventory, if I get the time I will make my own text based adventure game! :biggrin:

Never heard of visual basic before, we've used Python from day one (besides pseudo code/flow diagrams) but I complain about how Java is superior :tongue: Haven't had a look at C but apparently it's complicated.

How do you know this? PM a resource pack xD I remember was reading up on phreaking in school in Y9 and I got told off, Even if you're not the malicious kind its still cool to know these things, all that power if you wanted to :colone: Also there's a coursework task in A2 so i'd like to see how that plays out.

Oh but computers do byte! A lot! :ahee:
Unfortunately I encounter syntax errors quite a lot.. it kind of sucks but I suppose that's because I don't really know Java yet!
Project Euler is this site which posts some problems and you write a program to solve them (as I'm sure you now know from Google :biggrin:)

We don't generally make very many programs; it's mainly theory that we do in lessons... we've spent ages on data representation and it's starting to get a bit boring! I know it already but some kids are slow I guess :redface:

What you're doing certainly sounds more interesting than my lessons! Hmm I think I'll make a text-based adventure game too, that would be fun :smile:

I wish we'd learned python, it's so much better than VB... but then again one of our teachers knows VB and has been pretty much been using it his whole life (how has he had the will to live through that??) :cool:

Hmm, C is apparently complicated, I haven't really started learning properly though so I am yet to experience the hell :wink:
.. well it can't be as bad as Malbolge, right?
Oh but computers do byte! A lot! :ahee:
Unfortunately I encounter syntax errors quite a lot.. it kind of sucks but I suppose that's because I don't really know Java yet!
Project Euler is this site which posts some problems and you write a program to solve them (as I'm sure you now know from Google :biggrin:)

We don't generally make very many programs; it's mainly theory that we do in lessons... we've spent ages on data representation and it's starting to get a bit boring! I know it already but some kids are slow I guess :redface:

What you're doing certainly sounds more interesting than my lessons! Hmm I think I'll make a text-based adventure game too, that would be fun :smile:

I wish we'd learned python, it's so much better than VB... but then again one of our teachers knows VB and has been pretty much been using it his whole life (how has he had the will to live through that??) :cool:

Hmm, C is apparently complicated, I haven't really started learning properly though so I am yet to experience the hell :wink:
.. well it can't be as bad as Malbolge, right?

They also bit, but only up to 128! We did a bit of binary addition, it was cool :biggrin: Need to memorize the alphabet, 2 letters done...
Same, it usually highlights spaces for me :colonhash:
Sounds pretty cool actually, I might try it :biggrin:
Be glad you're moving slow, we get shown an example program and we're told to make our own and i'm still staring at the example like lolwut? xD It's all fun though. what exam board are you doing? I'm with OCR

It should be fairly easy, key things being user input, HP counter, inventory, options for making decisions... an interactive story! :biggrin: You could even have save points, not sure how you'd implement that though, more to learn!

If you already know what the class is doing then read up on the latest tech news or Python! I'm lucky that my teachers are awesome, we even have tech news of the week :tongue:

Hello world = ('&%:9]!~}|z2Vxwv-,POqponl$Hjig%eB@@>}=<M:9wv6WsU2T|nm-,jcL(I&%$#"
`CB]V?Tx<uVtT`Rpo3NlF.Jh++FdbCBA@?]!~|4XzyTT43Qsqq(Lnmkj"Fhg${z@>

Thats... just.... I don't know what that is O.O

Example code below :awesome: (I don't know how to use spoilers :tongue: )

# Hero's Inventory 2.0
# Demonstrates tuples

# create a tuple with some items and display with a for loop
inventory = ("sword",
"armor",
"shield",
"healing potion")
print("Your items:")
for item in inventory:
print(item)

input("\nPress the enter key to continue.")

# get the length of a tuple
print("You have", len(inventory), "items in your possession.")

# test for membership with in
if "healing potion" in inventory:
print("You will live to fight another day.")

# display one item through an index
index = int(input("\nEnter the index number for an item in inventory: "))
print("At index", index, "is", inventory[index])

# display a slice
start = int(input("\nEnter the index number to begin a slice: "))
finish = int(input("Enter the index number to end the slice: "))
print("inventory[", start, ":", finish, "] is", end=" ")
print(inventory[start:finish])

# concatenate two tuples
chest = ("gold", "gems")
print("You find a chest. It contains:")
print(chest)
print("You add the contents of the chest to your inventory.")
inventory += chest
print("Your inventory is now:")
print(inventory)

input("\n\nPress the enter key to exit.")
(edited 10 years ago)
They also bit, but only up to 128! We did a bit of binary addition, it was cool :biggrin: Need to memorize the alphabet, 2 letters done...
Same, it usually highlights spaces for me :colonhash:
Sounds pretty cool actually, I might try it :biggrin:
Be glad you're moving slow, we get shown an example program and we're told to make our own and i'm still staring at the example like lolwut? xD It's all fun though. what exam board are you doing? I'm with OCR

It should be fairly easy, key things being user input, HP counter, inventory, options for making decisions... an interactive story! :biggrin: You could even have save points, not sure how you'd implement that though, more to learn!

If you already know what the class is doing then read up on the latest tech news or Python! I'm lucky that my teachers are awesome, we even have tech news of the week :tongue:

Hello world = ('&%:9]!~}|z2Vxwv-,POqponl$Hjig%eB@@>}=<M:9wv6WsU2T|nm-,jcL(I&%$#"
`CB]V?Tx<uVtT`Rpo3NlF.Jh++FdbCBA@?]!~|4XzyTT43Qsqq(Lnmkj"Fhg${z@>

Thats... just.... I don't know what that is O.O

Example code below :awesome: (I don't know how to use spoilers :tongue: )

Yes, do project Euler! It's fun! :biggrin:
My exam board is AQA, no idea what OCR is like but I'm going to assume it's better than AQA (because everything is XD)

I was actually looking up Assembly Language while we were meant to be doing two's complement and Gray code and that didn't go down so well :colondollar: luckily I have the 'gift of the gab' so I got away with it..:rolleyes:

Malbolge is... hellish. It works with a base 3 number system and is just generally... evil! Although the fact that a program has been written in it (and indeed the 99 bottles of beer song) means that the program is a failure - it was meant to be pretty much impossible to do anything with!

Brain**** is a pretty nice language. Its only operations are
>
<
[
]
+
-
So.. make of that what you will! Needless to say, the multiplication/division of numbers in this is unnecessarily complicated. But that's what makes it great!
Befunge is definitely the best esolang though. Just look it up.. it's just amazing!! :biggrin:

That inventory program looks nice - makes me want to get to work on the adventure story!
Yes, do project Euler! It's fun! :biggrin:
My exam board is AQA, no idea what OCR is like but I'm going to assume it's better than AQA (because everything is XD)

I was actually looking up Assembly Language while we were meant to be doing two's complement and Gray code and that didn't go down so well :colondollar: luckily I have the 'gift of the gab' so I got away with it..:rolleyes:

Malbolge is... hellish. It works with a base 3 number system and is just generally... evil! Although the fact that a program has been written in it (and indeed the 99 bottles of beer song) means that the program is a failure - it was meant to be pretty much impossible to do anything with!

Brain**** is a pretty nice language. Its only operations are
>
<
[
]
+
-
So.. make of that what you will! Needless to say, the multiplication/division of numbers in this is unnecessarily complicated. But that's what makes it great!
Befunge is definitely the best esolang though. Just look it up.. it's just amazing!! :biggrin:

That inventory program looks nice - makes me want to get to work on the adventure story!

AQA isn't that bad! I have a feeling all this programming isn't needed for the exam anyway, my teacher said he's doing it to better develop our understanding.

Unlucky :redface: Usually its allowed to have internet explorer (Bing to make it worse xD ) open as long its side by side the Python console and you're actively doing work, I guess this makes up for the hellhole that is A level Math :frown:

It must have been designed to be usable in some form, possibly as a challenge, in which case it would have served its purpose as it seems to be near impossible to code in! I think i'll make a 99 bottles of beer program now :tongue:

Python is awesome for numbers, someone made a Pythagoras calculator too, but no matter the program, the first thing I think is "how can I make this crash the pc?" Obscenely large numbers seems to work haha

So many languages, so little time o.o

Yeah it's actually quite a tidy way of doing things, i'd love to find out more about Python visual plugins, if I could make a game in an old style Pokemon game format :moon:
AQA isn't that bad! I have a feeling all this programming isn't needed for the exam anyway, my teacher said he's doing it to better develop our understanding.

Unlucky :redface: Usually its allowed to have internet explorer (Bing to make it worse xD ) open as long its side by side the Python console and you're actively doing work, I guess this makes up for the hellhole that is A level Math :frown:

It must have been designed to be usable in some form, possibly as a challenge, in which case it would have served its purpose as it seems to be near impossible to code in! I think i'll make a 99 bottles of beer program now :tongue:

Python is awesome for numbers, someone made a Pythagoras calculator too, but no matter the program, the first thing I think is "how can I make this crash the pc?" Obscenely large numbers seems to work haha

So many languages, so little time o.o

Yeah it's actually quite a tidy way of doing things, i'd love to find out more about Python visual plugins, if I could make a game in an old style Pokemon game format :moon:

Ah well in that case your teacher is better than mine!
Ugh internet explorer is my school's browser of choice too... WHY?? JUST WHY?? DX it can't do HTML5!! Come on!

Hey, maths isn't that bad (well, some mechanics is) - calculus is actually kind of enjoyable XD

Hmm well the creator of malbolge didn't even write a program in it.. so that gives you an idea of how awful it is :eek:

Haha when you finish that, tell me XD
Anybody come across some good physics/chemistry books that arent all text book-like, but a bit more of something to read as well as explaining/exploring some concepts? If that even makes sense :tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SophieB1997
Hahaha :smile: Christmas is my favourite time of year and I don't think I'd ever get bored of it :tongue: However I am holding off on the Christmas-jumper-wearing until Thursday as that's when they're starting to show Christmas music on TV :smile:

I do love Christmas a lot, but I just get fed up by the time Christmas arrives because it's been dragged out for so long *sigh*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hola :3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blamethenargles
I do love Christmas a lot, but I just get fed up by the time Christmas arrives because it's been dragged out for so long *sigh*

Posted from TSR Mobile

True. It gets a bit sickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
True. It gets a bit sickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay! Someone who agrees! :-D
'Bout time I poked my nose back in here :tongue: . How has everyone been? :smile:

Latest