The Student Room Group

Do you NEED to wear a suit to a medicine interview?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pittawithcheese
It is interesting to read your post, as it just goes to show how some of the requirements for medical school discriminate against large portions of the population. For some applicants a suit is not a problem, and for others their parents will buy one. For others though, finding the money for a suit is a huge challenge.

I'll give you a too from when I was a young detective trying to buy an office wardrobe when I'd been wearing a uniform for years and was spending all my salary on bills and commuting.

Go to a large chain store like Next, try on the suits there to get a good idea which size you are in their clothes. Then go onto EBay and find some listings for suits you like in the correct size. You'll pick one up for less than £20, and it should fit you too.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most applicants are school leavers and therefore own a shirt and a pair of trousers anyway. You can pick up a jacket from most charity shops if you're really short on money.
I've interviewed students for medical school entry. You do need to wear a suit. The panel have decided whether you're going to have an offer within 30 seconds of you entering the room. If you don't look smart (everyone else will be wearing a suit) and you don't shake hands (it was quite a traditional university) you really disadvantaged yourself.
Original post by Scoobster
Honestly, Next, isn't that bad if you don't have a lot of money to spend on a suit. I'd have a pop in/look online if I were you. Other highstreet retailers like H&M will also be quite reasonable, just Next has quite a lot of choice from very basic suits to some fairly expensive ones.

Have a butchers :smile:

What's wrong with Next? I think they make excellent suits. I wore a Next one every day for two years in the Sixth Form and still have it 3 years later. I often wear it to open days and placements a law firms and have to say that I often look smarter than most of the lawyers who work there.
Cheers for the advice lads, wasn't expecting much more than 2 - 3 replies haha.

Yeah there are some nice suits in next so I will probably buy from there, not too expensive either.
Reply 24
Original post by Rascacielos
What's wrong with Next? I think they make excellent suits. I wore a Next one every day for two years in the Sixth Form and still have it 3 years later. I often wear it to open days and placements a law firms and have to say that I often look smarter than most of the lawyers who work there.

I never said anything was wrong with Next, I recommended it! Just with suits, sometimes those that aren't tailored - such as Next, don't fit so well. I can't say for women, or even other men, but for me personally I really struggled getting any of their jackets to fit properly because I've got quite broad shoulders. The jacket either didn't fit the shoulders or didn't fit my waist.

As long as you can get one to fit properly, the quality's fine :smile:

Original post by A random human
Cheers for the advice lads, wasn't expecting much more than 2 - 3 replies haha.

Yeah there are some nice suits in next so I will probably buy from there, not too expensive either.

For Quality:Price I think you'd struggle to do better!
I never said anything was wrong with Next, I recommended it! Just with suits, sometimes those that aren't tailored - such as Next, don't fit so well. I can't say for women, or even other men, but for me personally I really struggled getting any of their jackets to fit properly because I've got quite broad shoulders. The jacket either didn't fit the shoulders or didn't fit my waist.

For Quality:Price I think you'd struggle to do better!

Yeah im the same, I got quite broad shoulders and go gym and do sports so got a bit of a build too.
Reply 26
I would recommend charity shopping! It takes a little longer but can be well worth it. Most of my formal clothes are originally M&S or Next, but have picked them up in charity shops for less than a fiver. Most formal clothes are machine washable nowadays anyway, so as long as you pick and choose secondhand clothes can look as good as new.
Remember that if you're going to do medicine, you'll need three or four different sets of formal clothes to wear for placements in university anyway. It's worth dropping into charity shops on your way past over the next few months and just keeping an eye on what they've got. :]

It just sounded like your recommendation was a bit reluctant, that's all!

If you're having trouble finding a high-street suit that fits, then why don't you buy one that fits your shoulders but take it to a seamstress to take it in at your waist? It wouldn't cost more than £15 I shouldn't think and then it's essentially tailored, but without the price tag.
Reply 28
Original post by IceKidd
we had someone from oxford come into our school to talk about oxbridge admissions. they said it really doesnt matter what you wear, just put on what feels comfortable. Just because its medicine they dont care if youre rich enough to waste money on a suit,just look fairly clean and smart. Even wearing a hoodie wont detract from your ability as a medic...

For Oxbridge, i'd agree with that advice. For everywhere else, i'd suggest wearing a suit.

Looking professional is just a huge part of any job interview.
Reply 29
don't buy a cheap suit

it's a waste of money

if you're going to buy a suit buy a proper one. get one tailored tbh
Original post by smd4std
don't buy a cheap suit

it's a waste of money

if you're going to buy a suit buy a proper one. get one tailored tbh

That theory only works if you have the money to but a tailored one in the first place - plenty of people don't - especially school leavers....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by Pittawithcheese
That theory only works if you have the money to but a tailored one in the first place - plenty of people don't - especially school leavers....

Posted from TSR Mobile

the op can rent one if the op is poor
Original post by smd4std

That sounds a tad insulting, calling the OP "poor"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by smd4std

And so he now has to rent one every time he needs a suit for the next 6 years? That's a pretty dumb idea.

Nothing wrong with a cheap suit if that's what you want to get.
Reply 34
Original post by nexttime
And so he now has to rent one every time he needs a suit for the next 6 years? That's a pretty dumb idea.

Nothing wrong with a cheap suit if that's what you want to get.

no suit, is better than a cheap suit

cheap suits are just an insult.
Original post by smd4std
no suit, is better than a cheap suit

cheap suits are just an insult.

I would rather have a cheap suit that I can wear over and over again than one i have to rent several times. In any case, clothes are only half the battle. Looking good in general, facial, hair, body too, are just as important. But you are correct, as much as interviewers deny it, they do favor those with good looks/who look good. Biologically we gravitate due to survival instinct and also social prejudices etc...
Original post by A random human
Yeah im the same, I got quite broad shoulders and go gym and do sports so got a bit of a build too.

You sound like a tank.
Reply 37
Frankly last time I needed a suit without time to get one sent up from home I got something from asda for £35. If spending £35 is too much then you probably need to cut back elsewhere or will starve through medical school.
Nah its cool. I found a good looking suit for 60 quid that was previously worth 120 quid on a 50% sale from next, at the exact moment i needed a suit. Awesome.

It should arrive Monday.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending