The Student Room Group

What is the usual grade required for an AS/A Level?

I am in the 2nd year of GCSE and I am concerned about how I will get into A Level courses etc as my grade average is about a C, a B if I'm lucky and I'm just wondering will I have a chance?
Reply 1
Most of them are B. Depends what you are doing, i don't think they will let an individual take further maths if they only got a B so sometimes it's higher. But if you get all B's in your GCSE's you should be fine. :smile:
Original post by JQLeitch
I am in the 2nd year of GCSE and I am concerned about how I will get into A Level courses etc as my grade average is about a C, a B if I'm lucky and I'm just wondering will I have a chance?

The person above ^ is correct aim for B's in Math and English to ensure you will have the right requirements. For Humanity subjects majority accept C's. But having a B in maths and English opens alot of course opportunities.
Original post by Super199
Most of them are B. Depends what you are doing, i don't think they will let an individual take further maths if they only got a B so sometimes it's higher. But if you get all B's in your GCSE's you should be fine. :smile:

Yeah B's get you into anything apart from Further Maths which requires A or A*. At my college you could take it with a B but they prefer A or A* but i don't think any grade B student would ever think of taking it at that level :O
it really depends on your school and the specific subject such as history at a level you need an a at my school and only in special circumstances would you be allowed in with a b. however the sciences require you to have a b. maths asks for an a for gcse maths but a d for gcse further maths into maths alevel.
Original post by cookiecrumblexx
it really depends on your school and the specific subject such as history at a level you need an a at my school and only in special circumstances would you be allowed in with a b. however the sciences require you to have a b. maths asks for an a for gcse maths but a d for gcse further maths into maths alevel.

OMG ur school sounds really strict on grades for A level courses :O. We only needed a C at gcse to do History :O
Original post by ChocoholicCox
OMG ur school sounds really strict on grades for A level courses :O. We only needed a C at gcse to do History :O

ino unfortunally I don't think I would be allowed to do any alevel with a c in my school :frown: mabey home economics or construction and health and social care but I think that's it
Jesus, can't believe this was 2 years ago. Now studying A Levels with an unconditional offer from University of Lincoln to study Computer Science. It all worked out in the end :biggrin:
Original post by JQLeitch
Jesus, can't believe this was 2 years ago. Now studying A Levels with an unconditional offer from University of Lincoln to study Computer Science. It all worked out in the end :biggrin:

Well done!

Quick Reply

Latest