The Student Room Group

What subjects do you need for a radiography degree?

I'm currently in year 12 and I'm interested in studying radiography at university. I'm currently taking Biology, Sociology and health and social care i'm not sure if these are acceptable for the degree.
Original post by kirtip1
I'm currently in year 12 and I'm interested in studying radiography at university. I'm currently taking Biology, Sociology and health and social care i'm not sure if these are acceptable for the degree.

Have a look at some University websites where you might want to study and see what they require, but you should be okay with Biology . As an example, Portsmouth University states the following; UCAS points 120–128 points from 3 A levels (BBB) , or equivalent, including a minimum of 32 points (Grade C) from a Science subject (preferably Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Mathematics). A levels in Applied Science, PE, Psychology and Sports Science are considered.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by kirtip1

You combination of subjects should be fine as usually just one science is required for radiography. Most unis ask for around 120 points/BBB. Is the health and social care qualification a BTEC or A level?
Reply 4
(Original post by normaw)You combination of subjects should be fine as usually just one science is required for radiography. Most unis ask for around 120 points/BBB. Is the health and social care qualification a BTEC or A level?
hi normaw thanks for your help its a btec is that fine
Original post by kirtip1

Hey @kirtip1!

All universities might be slightly different on what they ask for, but you can typically expect to be needing at least one science. For ourselves, we need one science from Physics, Biology, Human Biology, Chemistry or Psychology at a grade B or above as our specific subject requirements if you are doing A Levels, but some universities may ask for more than one science - worth double checking on their websites when you start to shortlist! Overall, we ask for you to get 120 UCAS points to enter onto the course (including that B grade in a science), as well as 5 GCSE's at a grade 4 or above, to include Maths, English and Science.

Hope that helps - let me know if you have any questions!
Becky
University of Salford Rep
Original post by kirtip1
hi normaw thanks for your help its a btec is that fine

It will depend on the uni and the type of BTEC you are taking (extended cert, diploma or extended diploma) and you will have to read the entry requirements for each uni carefully before you apply (and if it's not clear, email the uni to ask). For example, with Liverpool a combination of A levels with a BTEC is fine (source: https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/courses/2023/diagnostic-radiography-bsc-hons#entry-requirements):

BTEC nationals are considered in addition to 5 GCSEs grades 5-9 (or former A* C), which must include English Language, Maths and a Science. Science dual award, Core Science and Applied GCSEs will also be considered.

We will accept one BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (60 credits) at a minimum of Distinction. This must be accompanied by two A2 at Grade B, of which one subject should include Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Maths or Chemistry. Three separate subjects must be taken between the two qualifications.

BTEC National Diploma (120 credits) in Health and Social Care or Applied Science/ Medical Science graded at DD will be accepted. This must be accompanied by a science A Level (biology, physics, chemistry and maths) at grade B In total, between the two qualifications; two separate subjects must be taken.

Alternatively BTEC National Extended Diploma (180 credits) in either Applied Science/ Medical Science or Health and Social Care at DDD. The student is required to achieve 120 credits out of 180 at Distinction by the end of their second year.
Reply 7
Thank you for your help Becky this has narrowed it down for me. I will keep looking at different universities' entry requirements and hopefully i achieve these grades.

Original post by University of Salford
Hey @kirtip1!

All universities might be slightly different on what they ask for, but you can typically expect to be needing at least one science. For ourselves, we need one science from Physics, Biology, Human Biology, Chemistry or Psychology at a grade B or above as our specific subject requirements if you are doing A Levels, but some universities may ask for more than one science - worth double checking on their websites when you start to shortlist! Overall, we ask for you to get 120 UCAS points to enter onto the course (including that B grade in a science), as well as 5 GCSE's at a grade 4 or above, to include Maths, English and Science.

Hope that helps - let me know if you have any questions!
Becky
University of Salford Rep

Quick Reply

Latest