The Student Room Group

Help w uni courses and weird a level predictions

Im doing international A levels. I missed a lot of school in both years and my predicted grades were really low(like BBC). I find A levels kinda easy and never actually got like less than A* in mock or test(maybe once or twice but u get the point). Now idk what exactly teachers tought when predicting the BBC but I gave some tests and managed to get my grades to AAA.(even if achieved maximum/close to max in them).This is a good improvement yes but the thing is I always assumed I had A*A*A* predicted (cuz we don’t actually know our grades until we request them). I’m trying to apply to uk unis and I had Cambridge as target but when i requested the grades they said BBC. Had to cancel the whole thing and improve and i thought i would get at least maths teacher to predict A* but not posible. Now i don’t know where to apply. i can’t find courses only some at LSE and 2 at ucl maths/econ maybe cs related. I wanna have good career opportunities after so what should I do?
Take a gap year and apply for 2025 entry with what will hopefully be achieved grades that meet your aspirations.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Take a gap year and apply for 2025 entry with what will hopefully be grades that meet your aspirations.

yes i thought of that and it’s a really good idea. but i just don’t know what i would do in that year.
Reply 3
Original post by MateoC
yes i thought of that and it’s a really good idea. but i just don’t know what i would do in that year.

I’ve seen people worry a lot about what to ‘do‘in their gap year, but honestly, working as much as possible and saving some money will make your first year so much easier! You can visit friends at uni, and just take a break. I think it would be a great idea if everyone did this- I think it would improve university experience for many. Good luck whatever you choose.

(And LSE and UCL will want to see high predicted grades to give offers)
Reply 4
Original post by Cbt33
I’ve seen people worry a lot about what to ‘do‘in their gap year, but honestly, working as much as possible and saving some money will make your first year so much easier! You can visit friends at uni, and just take a break. I think it would be a great idea if everyone did this- I think it would improve university experience for many. Good luck whatever you choose.

(And LSE and UCL will want to see high predicted grades to give offers)

yeah thanks. i could kinda see myself doing something like this but i would still like to apply this year too. do you know any AAA courses that are decent
Original post by MateoC

Get a job. Go travelling. Learn a new skill. Does it really matter?
Original post by MateoC
Im doing international A levels. I missed a lot of school in both years and my predicted grades were really low(like BBC). I find A levels kinda easy and never actually got like less than A* in mock or test(maybe once or twice but u get the point). Now idk what exactly teachers tought when predicting the BBC but I gave some tests and managed to get my grades to AAA.(even if achieved maximum/close to max in them).This is a good improvement yes but the thing is I always assumed I had A*A*A* predicted (cuz we don’t actually know our grades until we request them). I’m trying to apply to uk unis and I had Cambridge as target but when i requested the grades they said BBC. Had to cancel the whole thing and improve and i thought i would get at least maths teacher to predict A* but not posible. Now i don’t know where to apply. i can’t find courses only some at LSE and 2 at ucl maths/econ maybe cs related. I wanna have good career opportunities after so what should I do?

I always get somewhat concerned when somebody says what you have and whether they are living in the real world.

Teachers over predict not under predict. It is in their interest to get students into the best universities so for that reason they dont under predict.

The evidence shows 75% of students dont reach their predicted grades.

It is all very well you having this level of confidence in your but I wonder whether it is misplaced.

You are not going to get into any leading university with your predictions so your only option is a gap year. Clearing wont be an option in places like LSE.

As I say i have serious doubts when somebody has this difference between predictions and their beliefs but evidence shows the predictions are usually more accurate
Reply 7
totally get you. but i don’t have grades under a* just a couple as. like it’s not the case. u think AAA is that bad for Lse requirements AAA
Original post by MateoC
totally get you. but i don’t have grades under a* just a couple as. like it’s not the case. u think AAA is that bad for Lse requirements AAA

LSE like other top London universities is massively oversubscribed and even with grades in excess of their requirements students get rejected. Just meeting the requirements doesnt mean you will get in. You really need to start living in the real world. This I have taken from LSE

As you will see from the application data provided on our individual programme pages, there is a great deal of competition for places at the School. In 2023, we received around 26,000 applications for 1,800 places. This fierce competition for places means that meeting or exceeding the entry requirements does not guarantee that an offer will be made, and every year we unfortunately have to disappoint many well-qualified applicants.
Reply 9
"Doing some tests" on a patchy basis because you've missed a lot of classes isn't quite the same thing as sitting an entire A level up to nearly two years after you've first learnt material. Much more certainty if you do a gap year as suggested. Earn some money and learn to drive.
Reply 10
Original post by Artjen
"Doing some tests" on a patchy basis because you've missed a lot of classes isn't quite the same thing as sitting an entire A level up to nearly two years after you've first learnt material. Much more certainty if you do a gap year as suggested. Earn some money and learn to drive.

well yeah.but what does sitting a whole a level has to do with anything. no one sits a whole a level before getting predicted grades right ?
Original post by MateoC
well yeah.but what does sitting a whole a level has to do with anything. no one sits a whole a level before getting predicted grades right ?

Your teachers who know you best dont see you as an outstanding candidate who sails through A levels in the way you describe. Otherwise they would have predicted you A*A*A* not your initial grades or even AAA after you trying to get them increased. They have experience of your work and able to compare it against the standard of previous years students. The top students who end up in LSE would not have this happen and would fly through with high predictions and top grades in awards and things like STEP.

Predicted grades are only part of the issue. You then have to reach those grades in the actual exams based on 2 years work. It is far more difficult to do that than in class exams on 1 topic. Out of interest as you are taking international A levels you would have sat AS levels. What grade and marks did you get in these as they form part of the overall grade and would give a more accurate reflection of your likely grades than class tests.

Just to put things in some perspective around 800 overseas students from all countries are accepted by LSE. Given that large countries like USA and China will take up a large amount of these it means only a couple of people from other countries will get in. You basically need to be the best in your country and the evidence from your school suggests that isnt the case.

Students below the required entry standards have no chance of getting in and even most of those who exceed or meet these get rejected. You really need to come to the real world. Your only chance is to apply with actual grades after a gap year if you achieve better grades than your teachers expect.
Reply 12
i get your point.that’s what usually happens. i’ve read 5+ posts like mine. usually they mentioned getting D and C or at least Bs in tests and mocks but whatever. my attendance is less than 60% in these 2 years. i’ve been in this school for only 2 years btw. but all these don’t matter since my question is if you think courses with AAA required like Mathematics Statistics and Business from LSE are good for career opportunities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending