The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ParadoxSocks
A massive one - you can't apply with an ordinary degree as it's below a third! Call UCAS and get it fixed.

You write about why teaching, how you know teaching is for you, other experiences that will make you a great teacher and anything else that applies. There's guidance in the personal statement section of this website :smile:

Should I enter my disability mentor as a character reference as she probably knows me best or, do I ask the chairperson of the learning disability group that I work at? I'm the deputy treasurer, so is there enough of a "gap" between our roles for her to be a good choice? I haven't spoken to her for quite a while as there's been a falling out in the group and I'm unsure if she's okay with me now.

I could use my the leader of the National Citizen Service group that I volunteered with over the summer or the leader of the entire scheme in my city. I really don't know what to do :frown:

I best ring the teaching agency for advise or ask my friend.

How am I going to write a personal statement without teaching experience?

I would be the weakest candidate out of them all.

I will do teaching experience but not yet.
Reply 1641
Original post by Lucy_jucie
Anyone applying for business secondary? Or design tech secondary.

im just waiting on my second ref, he said he will fill it in tomorrow so I can pay and get it in.

i just wondered can they cut off apps if they have too many?

They have to stay open for at least two weeks. After that then yes, they can close applications if they wish; with the massive increase in likely application volume many are likely to close for a bit and then re-open later.

Original post by kuroshokora
Hey, I'm filling in my application and am up to the school and work experience section. How much detail are we meant to put in this? I've listed out all my experience in the format

"from X date to X date I worked at Y school with this age of pupils, the duration of my placement was Z days"

but I have loads of space left! Are we meant to put details about how we found the placements, the work we did on them etc? Because I thought that's what the personal statement was for and this one was literally just for listing the dates of placements...

Also should I be including placements I've been accepted onto but haven't completed yet? For example "in early 2014 I will be completing a placement of X days at Y primary school?"

If you are still wanting to know...

If you have spare room you may as well list your duties. Like just saying what you did, rather than commenting on how you found it or what you got from it. Broadly as well, like 'lead small groups, taught starters, observed year 3, assisted class teacher' etc.

But if you haven't don't worry. The main thing is writing what the experience is.

Also I would include the future placements but make it very clear that they are future. :smile: Then they know you have more lined up!

xxx
I've paid and sent my application off and got an email from UCAS confirming this, yet i don't have a track login? are we given separate track logins or is it the same page we all used to apply on?
Original post by Descartes93
I've paid and sent my application off and got an email from UCAS confirming this, yet i don't have a track login? are we given separate track logins or is it the same page we all used to apply on?

If its like last year, my friends said they got welcome letters with their track info on them a couple of days after paying.
Phew, second reference completed tonight so it has been paid and sent off. Now we just wait...
Can you change who your referees are? Another lecturer has said she will complete my reference now so was wondering if I could change?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys...what do we need to show as evidence for having submitted our PGCE applications to take the skills test?
I assume a print off an email with confirmation of application and reference number should suffice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by steph_cook92
Can you change who your referees are? Another lecturer has said she will complete my reference now so was wondering if I could change?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't think so I'm afraid. Best phone UCAS to find out though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by steph_cook92

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually I think you can. Referees still show up with an edit button so maybe worth a try. However that means someone would have already got an e-mail, so I dunno if that could work. You could ring UCAS.
Reply 1650
Is it required we complete the skills test before we go for any interviews? thanks people!
Reply 1651
Evening all,

Trying to complete my application but can't because for some reason the form will not register my 'personal details' section as complete even though I've filled in everything with an * and ticked section complete at the bottom.

The checklist page is also showing an 'additional information' section as 'not started'. But there is no 'additional information' tab on the left hand side?

Heeeellllpppppp!
(edited 10 years ago)
Well the lecturer I was going to use hadn't even acknowledged the email yet, so I've emailed her explaining everything, I've changed it now so I hope it's ok!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 4ndy888
Is it required we complete the skills test before we go for any interviews? thanks people!

I think it depends on the uni/school as they all have different requirements :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1654
Original post by Denu
Anyone know when York St John will open for applications? They don't even come up with any courses on the UCAS search - arrgh! My other two choices are open already...worried if I don't apply for them now then I'll lose out on everywhere I want to apply... :-(

How do you know if they're open? Are they definitely open if they're on the list?

Also are you supposed to search on the application form or is there an easier way to find out which universities offer the course you're interested it?

I'm working full-time so I only had the chance to look at it today and I'm super confused. :frown:
Personal statement and the rest of the application finished. Now just to wait for my two referees to do their part. It was weird sitting in class with the kid I am an assistant for today and thinking "Jeez this could be me next year on placement (hopefully!)"

Is anyone else applying for History at Worcester?
This might be a silly question, but i've done my application, sent them to my references, blah blah blah. So I emailed both of the references saying that i've just done it, so they should have a notification. And my secondary reference said he hasn't got it, even though the email is right and everything. Once you send them the request, do they get it straight away, or is there a delay?
I'm having a little panic now trying to sort out my academic reference - my personal tutor when I was in Uni doesn't work there anymore - do I need to have someone who still works there? My tutor taught me for 4 modules and was also my dissertation supervisor so he's the best person I can ask (and he is willing to do it). I just don't want to fill it all out for UCAS to say that it has to be someone still working at the Uni!
Reply 1658
How soon before we receive replies from the uni (eg. Interview)? Is it after Xmas now?
^^It will depend on the uni. Some may start interviewing mid December.

Latest

Trending

Trending