The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1760
Original post by amul1992
Heard a rumor that the English PGCE has been pulled from Sheffield Hallam. Can anyone confirm this? It's still appearing on the course search and the website doesn't say anything...

I would imagine that if it lets you apply it's still open, so don't panic.

However, the easiest way is to contact the uni themselves. It is possible that they have now received allocations and not been given any places... seems like this might have happened with another uni someone mentioned above!

xxx
Reply 1761
Original post by Fen2k
My second reference hasn't accepted yet (I submitted Thursday night). Normally I would be okay with this but read other people's posts re junk mail etc, I am a wee bit worried.

Is anyone else going through the stage of complete confidence (totally nailing my first choice) to utter despair (not getting any interviews)?!

Same, my second reference hasn't accepted yet. But I'm hoping it's because I put his school email address so will probably check it tomorrow when the school day starts but I just emailed to ask him if he had received the email as it can sometimes go in your junk mail. So I'm hoping that if he replies tomorrow, it might nudge him to get it done or at least for him to let me know when he can do it. I worried incase he forgets about it.. Also he's quite blunt in his email responses. I don't want to wait two weeks cos i don't want the unis to close their courses.

I'm having that too! At times I think my personal statement is good enough to at least get me an interview but then I'm like thinking it's not good enough etc! I'm considering my back up plans a lot too... I just want to know!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fen2k
My second reference hasn't accepted yet (I submitted Thursday night). Normally I would be okay with this but read other people's posts re junk mail etc, I am a wee bit worried.

Is anyone else going through the stage of complete confidence (totally nailing my first choice) to utter despair (not getting any interviews)?!

Original post by womanonamission
I am going through exactly the same thing. I have emailed the headteacher three times now! And still no reply... What can we do in this scenario! You spend so much time on your application for it potentially to be ruined by a third party...

Posted from TSR Mobile

If your reference is a school head teacher then you really need to relax. Essentially, you've given them one day if you submitted on Thursday. They have no obligation to do anything school related on a weekend and I think you'll understand why they need that time off once you become a teacher!
Original post by alabelle
Yep, currently going through the 'utter despair' stage of the cycle right now. Forgot how hard this is and my application hasn't even been sent off yet.

Does this mean you've had to rearrange your skills test?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxstace123xx
Im not sure who this was for, but as I mentioned making a mistake a few pages ago I thought I would answer.

I didn't resubmit, I contacted the individual places I'd applied for and wrote what the mistake was and the proper answer, 2 have got back and said they've noted it down and waiting on the other place.

But when I rang UCAS she said you can resubmit, but you need to ring them to cancel the application, then your details won't be on the system and you can start again.

You might have to use a different email address though and obviously you'll have to send your references again off your new account so you'd have to explain that to them :smile:
Thanks I thought I could cancel it and then resubmit! The uni I apply for won't have seen this application will they?
Yes - can confirm that providing your references haven't been submitted and you use another email, you can reapply so to speak. Phew. To make 100% sure, remove your referees from you initial/wrong application.
My second referee accepted the email last night but still hasn't completed the reference. I had to cancel my skills tests yesterday (they were booked for today). Good job that I did though, as my daughter had an accident last night and is now off school anyway!
Original post by Airfairy
Does this mean you've had to rearrange your skills test?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, my first skills test isn't til the 6th December, so I have nearly two weeks before that. If my referees haven't finished by then I'll be more worried about the universities closing to applications rather than my skills tests...
Yes! Second reference done! All paid and sent! So excited :biggrin:
I am going through about 20 different stages of this in varying degrees! I didn't realise that you had to click another button to send off the references so mine went much later than planned. I'm not panicking as my second reference hasn't replied to any emails and I've had to come to work today so now spending every spare minute pressing 'refresh' on the same page!!
hahaha!
Reply 1770
Original post by Shelly_x
If your reference is a school head teacher then you really need to relax. Essentially, you've given them one day if you submitted on Thursday. They have no obligation to do anything school related on a weekend and I think you'll understand why they need that time off once you become a teacher!

Completely, I mean godforbid they actually teach!! :biggrin: I know this, I just want to know they have received it that's all. Obviously uploading the reference asap would be wonderful, but... just knowing they have received would be nice.
Reply 1771
Can anyone point me to where it says that some unis will be closing their applications in 2 weeks? I can't find this anywhere, is it just rumour or fact? I was led to believe we had, in theory, until September '14! thanks.
Original post by alabelle
Nah, my first skills test isn't til the 6th December, so I have nearly two weeks before that. If my referees haven't finished by then I'll be more worried about the universities closing to applications rather than my skills tests...

Got mixed up between you and jeffercake :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The head teacher I'm using for my second referee has said she is busy at the moment but will complete it this week, will that be too late? I just want to send it now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mrs L
Can anyone point me to where it says that some unis will be closing their applications in 2 weeks? I can't find this anywhere, is it just rumour or fact? I was led to believe we had, in theory, until September '14! thanks.

The admissions lady at St. Mary's said that if the course at a particular uni gets lots of applications, then can close after 2 weeks and then re-open once they have sifted through some. I guess if there is enough applications they won't re-open
Original post by steph_cook92
The head teacher I'm using for my second referee has said she is busy at the moment but will complete it this week, will that be too late? I just want to send it now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your lucky you got a reply, mine hasn't responded! No that's no too late at all
Original post by womanonamission
Your lucky you got a reply, mine hasn't responded! No that's no too late at all

Have you tried emailing them? I'm so impatient!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KatieB1991
Hi everyone. I'm a bit confused with my application as when I click on 'check form' it says everything is completed apart from choices, under which it says 'see below' and explains 'The availability of your choices may change between now and when you pay and send your application to UCAS. You can finalise them up until just before you pay and send your application to UCAS'. I've saved and clicked complete on everyhting but how do I know if it has been sent to my references?!

You need to go back into the References header on the left, and make sure you click 'SEND TO REFEREES' or something along those lines.

Otherwise an e-mail will not be sent asking your referees to submit their references.
Original post by steph_cook92
Have you tried emailing them? I'm so impatient!

Posted from TSR Mobile

My uni one said he will do it today at the latest... no sign yet so I e-mailed asking him to let me know when he has sent it off, as I have heard I may not receive a confirmation from UCAS (made that up!).

And I have e-mailed the headteacher about 3 times since Thursday making up numerous information on each one! ('check your junk folder', 'just a reminder').... She must hate me lol
Original post by jeffercake
Yes! Second reference done! All paid and sent! So excited :biggrin:

Good luck!!!! My I waiting on my uni ref, he's accepted but no ref yet, I just want it paid and sent!!!! Lol

Latest

Trending

Trending