The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 9MmBulletz
Bro I understand your concern but it's a slight over-reaction.
Mata should be playing. He's been left out of the team for no reason at all and it's really testing my patience with Jose as we're not getting results, so the blame has to be put on him not playing Mata.
I can't stand Mourinho's blind love for Ramires. He's not good enough to be starting in our central midfield. Esepcially when we have the immobility of Lampard and Mikel, with Mikel lacking ambition in passing.

I would say that in the second half vs Basel, our approach play was good, but on 3-4 occasions the final pass was off and we easily could have created 3-4 clear cut chances.
Our problem is not chance creating IMO. The games we have lost (except Basel at home), we were pretty wasteful in front of goal. Against Newcastle, we had enough chances to warrant us a goal at least and against Everton, we should've been 2 up by the time they had their first goal.

Our midfield is not good enough. I'm sorry but when our team is worth 2-300 million in transfer fees, why are we getting dominated in midfield by Basel? I honestly think our main problem is that since we last won the league in 2010, we have been unable to control games in the same way due to not replacing players like Ballack,Makelele, prime Essien. Our points tally since then (71, 64 and 75) shows a clear dip from when we used to be getting 83-90 points each season when we had those players. There's only so much you can do with our team, especially with the absence of quality in the centre of the park. There's a few central midfielders out there we could buy. Ramires and Mikel should not play together, because neither can pass the ball forward well consistently. Lampard slows us down and shouldn't be starting (no offence, but he probably should have left at the end of last season).

Ivanovic - Terry - Cahill - Azpilicueta
Oscar and Ramires in midfield - also, David Luiz should play in CDM but won't happen.
Hazard - Mata - Schurrle
Torres

Mata is a similar player like Iniesta. Absolute class in every aspect of the game except defense.
United will be keeping a very close eye on Iniesta and will try their best to lure him away in the next window.
Sturridge left - he is doing amazing. Why is he doing amazing? because he never got given a chance to prove his ability at Chelsea.
Now substitute Mata's name in that equation and it is even worse because Mata has proven to be one of the worlds most elite midfielder in the past 2 seasons, especially the last season, he was in a league of his own.
All hell will break loose at the Bridge against Southampton if we loose and Mata is benched.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by cleveradam
Ivanovic - Terry - Cahill - Azpilicueta
Oscar and Ramires in midfield - also, David Luiz should play in CDM but won't happen.
Hazard - Mata - Schurrle
Torres

I think De Bruyne could play in CM too. He's got the composure and control to do it. Probably bot quick enough to play in a more advanced role.
Not sure of Schurrle- I prefer Willian because he knows how to take on players better and has better ball control and passing. Scurrle is probably better for stronger teams to nullify their threat going forward.

This track-back bull**** Mourinho is harping on about is about as effective as what Benitez was doing. It's almost made no difference to the results we've been getting. Plus, I actually liked what Benitez was doing. It was more positive and at least he was experimenting (Luiz in midfield) and playing Mata which made Hazard better as they have this understanding with each other.
Reply 8002

I fully understand your concerns tbh. However, look at the table, look at our fixtures and where we are currently, look how the other teams are doing with easier/similar fixture lists and we're not really in a bad situation.

That's why I'm not too fussed, we're able to take points away from home vs the big teams and can win majority of our home games(take City) and tbh, while we've looked rather jammy this season, bar 2009-2010 where we were dishing out 6-0's, 8-0's and that, has there ever been a season where we pretty much dominated every team without prolonged periods of edgy play and containing pressure?

The way I see it, the only team I'm scared of would be arsenal in their current form. But we can beat them tbh.
Original post by 9MmBulletz
I just don't like Ramires because he's a central midfielder and he can't

a)pass
b)control the ball well or
c)shoot

He has no composure on the ball, and all the aforementioned is what Yaya Toure has alongside pace and energy.

I'm not really a fan of what Mourinho's doing at the minute. Mata has done nothing wrong and yet he's being frozen out. Couple that with the fact that our results haven't been great (he's doing the bare minimum atm) and you have a concerned Chelsea fan. He's got the Oscar beer goggles on and he dare not take them off even if Oscar hasabad game.

There's also strong rumours that Mata is going to PSG either in January or the summer which doesn't please me. If they give us Pastore I may not mind although I'm not sure how out of form Pastore is seeing as he hardly plays

Oh, don't worry, we've talked a lot about ramires here. I don't like him, but he's a necessary evil until we get an actual central midfielder with work rate and passing ability. Oscar replacing ramires isn't the answer here due to his lack of strength and not being as good energy wise, he'd have to replace lampard for that to work. I don't think we should be experimental and put in de bruyne and oscar in either, I'd personally like it if he stuck to a first 11.

We struggled to get a player who could retain possession in CM in 2010, personally I think a mixture of carlo and the board are to blame. Which tbh, I can now see why Carlo was sacked(although he deserved another season), saying he'll play the youth like mceachran, kakuta and sturridge, doesn't play them, doesn't replace the old players with the signings required.

I don't mind too much we lost tbh, we tried a tactic vs west ham which worked well, then tried it away in europe to see if it had the same effect, if we'd started hazard we'd have won the match tbh.
Im not an expert but why cant our players flick the ball when crowded in the attacking third?
Wish we had Rooney...
I agree with the people who've said Jose has some weird man crush on Oscar. We shouldn't be building our new style around someone who's still quite naive and developing. He cannot lead or spearhead our attack. It should be Mata who needs to be given regular games. It's stupid to judge Mata and KdB on the odd performance, give them a run and then judge ffs.

Jose is testing my patience with his stubborn and biased team selections, and the results are beginning to reflect this.
Original post by Isometrix
I agree with the people who've said Jose has some weird man crush on Oscar. We shouldn't be building our new style around someone who's still quite naive and developing. He cannot lead or spearhead our attack. It should be Mata who needs to be given regular games. It's stupid to judge Mata and KdB on the odd performance, give them a run and then judge ffs.

Jose is testing my patience with his stubborn and biased team selections, and the results are beginning to reflect this.

Against Southampton who play a high line and close down quick, we need a person who can pass the ball in all directions. If he doesn't play Mata I can't see whose going to thread the balls through. Lampard can't pick out a pass for his life now and will get run over by an energetic and aggressive Southampton side. Mikel is too slow at picking passes and will get run over. Why not try Essien for a game? Or even Luiz - I don't understand why he hasn't worked out that we need a midfielder to control the game.
Do you guys think Mata will stay? He can only have so much patience.

Really agree with you there buddy.

I'm a massive Jose fan, as a person I love him to bits but you're honestly bang on. I do have faith in him, he's an expert tactician and I know he knows what he's doing. That's what he's paid for.

But for the life of me I just can't agree with him on the Mata issue. At first I thought he was just playing his psychological games to, who was at the time, our star player to send a message to the players that nobody's place is secure.

We're gonna lose Juan and Kevin and IMO, that's two incredible talents leaving the team. That said, Oscar has put in some truly stellar performances for us, but I just don't think he's as much of a threat as Mata.

Frustrating.

No I honestly don't.

He knows himself what a talent he is and IMO, there's not team in the world that would not want him.
Reply 8008

Agree here. Oscar should be dropped if he's not been good or not had a good game, similar thing happens with nani for united(mata situation). I do think that oscar has done well enough this season to warrant starting though.

Although I'd say that the results have been indifferent, not poor, but indifferent, we beat city at home, only dropped 2 points at home this season and got away draws against our opponents for the title/top 4, which count as their dropped points looking at our home record. We then consider that City haven't been any better with a stronger first 11 and a perceivably easier fixture list, or United have been worse with a similar fixture list to ours and spurs can't score to save their lives. The league has a different dynamic to the previous few seasons, where at least 6 teams will get around 70 points and challenge for top 4.
Jam what's the score with your TSR account(s)? Why is your original one banned?
Is there any hope that we'll play some kind of attractive football this season? Any? :redface:

Not if we play defensive a lot of the time!
Reply 8011
Original post by Dopamine Dreams
Jam what's the score with your TSR account(s)? Why is your original one banned?

Did it intentionally, by request. Didn't want to use that account anymore and didn't want to be on the site at the time due to work. Will be unbanned in a few days, but I like this new account so will keep this for now.
Against Southampton who play a high line and close down quick, we need a person who can pass the ball in all directions. If he doesn't play Mata I can't see whose going to thread the balls through. Lampard can't pick out a pass for his life now and will get run over by an energetic and aggressive Southampton side. Mikel is too slow at picking passes and will get run over. Why not try Essien for a game? Or even Luiz - I don't understand why he hasn't worked out that we need a midfielder to control the game.

Agree with Luiz playing in midfield. I think he'd be more useful than Ramires. Ramires' energy is useful in high tempo end-to-end games, but for others his performances tend to be below average. I wouldn't say Mikel is slow, he's composed. If you notice him closely he very rarely loses the ball, and keeps the passes simple. You need someone like that who can build the play from the back. He literally does the job of a holding midfielder really well. Maybe we could try Mikel and Luiz in midfield, giving Luiz the licence to go forward. May be slightly defence oriented, but it means less work for the attacking trio to get back and defend and more time for them to stay upfield. Could work well in a counter-attacking system.

I hope Mata stays, and is given a run. Oscar has had a good season so far, but like I said he can't handle the responsibility of driving the attack.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by bammy jastard 27
I fully understand your concerns tbh. However, look at the table, look at our fixtures and where we are currently, look how the other teams are doing with easier/similar fixture lists and we're not really in a bad situation.

That's why I'm not too fussed, we're able to take points away from home vs the big teams and can win majority of our home games(take City) and tbh, while we've looked rather jammy this season, bar 2009-2010 where we were dishing out 6-0's, 8-0's and that, has there ever been a season where we pretty much dominated every team without prolonged periods of edgy play and containing pressure?

The way I see it, the only team I'm scared of would be arsenal in their current form. But we can beat them tbh.

Oh, don't worry, we've talked a lot about ramires here. I don't like him, but he's a necessary evil until we get an actual central midfielder with work rate and passing ability. Oscar replacing ramires isn't the answer here due to his lack of strength and not being as good energy wise, he'd have to replace lampard for that to work. I don't think we should be experimental and put in de bruyne and oscar in either, I'd personally like it if he stuck to a first 11.

We struggled to get a player who could retain possession in CM in 2010, personally I think a mixture of carlo and the board are to blame. Which tbh, I can now see why Carlo was sacked(although he deserved another season), saying he'll play the youth like mceachran, kakuta and sturridge, doesn't play them, doesn't replace the old players with the signings required.

I don't mind too much we lost tbh, we tried a tactic vs west ham which worked well, then tried it away in europe to see if it had the same effect, if we'd started hazard we'd have won the match tbh.

I think Oscar can work in CM because he defo has the energy (he's played over 100 games since the Olympics and rarely looks tired). Mourinho favours Oscar to Mata mainly because of his energy. If you look at the Brazil team as a whole, most of them are proper athletes as well as footballers. They're all fairly quick and have bags of stamina. With Oscar not being as strong as Ramires, well you clearly forgot how easy Ramires fell over against West Brom haha.

My patience is running low with Mou at the minute because our results have been indifferent and Mata isn't playing so someone needs to take the blame for our performances. I'm sure Mata's gonna leave which is going to be the stupidest thing to do. Plus, Mourinho did a similar thing just before he left where he sold Robben (who was pretty good for us) and bought Malouda. No-one can justify that decision
Reply 8014
I don't have any concerns, really, and certainly no issue with Mourinho. Give him a year or two of complete control and we will be the strongest side in the league again, imo. When Mourinho gets the conditions right - the squad, the tactics, the mentality - to fit him perfectly he will be unstoppable. I don't expect us to win the league this year, but I'm expecting us to slowly improve all year and then next summer he will buy whoever he feels he needs to take us to the next level. If you look at what he did at Inter it took him a little while to really get them where he wanted but when he did they won the treble.
Original post by mhsc
I don't have any concerns, really, and certainly no issue with Mourinho. Give him a year or two of complete control and we will be the strongest side in the league again, imo. When Mourinho gets the conditions right - the squad, the tactics, the mentality - to fit him perfectly he will be unstoppable. I don't expect us to win the league this year, but I'm expecting us to slowly improve all year and then next summer he will buy whoever he feels he needs to take us to the next level. If you look at what he did at Inter it took him a little while to really get them where he wanted but when he did they won the treble.

To fit Mata in when? 1 day before January transfer window when he's bound to leave?
O well, it's all over unless Jose states to Mata himself he is his no.1. But Mourinho has a big ego and won't give in so I doubt it.
Reply 8016
I love Mata, but there are many great players in the world and only a few truly great managers - Mourinho is certainly one of them. If he decides to sell Mata I will back him 100% - but I doubt he will sell him in January, he'll want a full year with all of these players imo to figure out exactly who he wants to keep in the long term.
Original post by mhsc
I love Mata, but there are many great players in the world and only a few truly great managers - Mourinho is certainly one of them. If he decides to sell Mata I will back him 100% - but I doubt he will sell him in January, he'll want a full year with all of these players imo to figure out exactly who he wants to keep in the long term.

You'll back your managers decision to sell your best player?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mhsc

This is Chelsea we're talking about here. We don't do long term managers haha. It's all fine and dandy thinking Mourinho will stay for the entirety of his contract, but deep inside we all know it probably won't happen.

Last time Mourinho sold a big player (Robben), he ****ed off soon after anyway
Reply 8019
Original post by TH3-FL45H
You'll back your managers decision to sell your best player?

Of course. If he sells him (which I doubt) it would only be because he sees a way to make us stronger. Everything Mourinho does is to win. Sometimes you've got to lose to win - Arsenal lost RVP, now they have a team which is much better, even though Giroud is no where near as good as RVP. Inter lost Ibra and that side eventually went on to win the treble.

Latest