The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Original post by Wobblybob76
Does anyone know who to email to find out your MAT score? :smile:

I believe we can find out by sending an email to one of the tutors at our assigned college once the colleges are done giving out offers in early January.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by souktik
I believe we can find out by sending an email to one of the tutors at our assigned college once the colleges are done giving out offers in early January.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thank you :smile:
Reply 1782
Ok thank you :smile:

Be sure to verify that information, though, I might be wrong. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1783
Original post by Louise246
Has anyone heard anything from Balliol? I'm getting more and more nervous as the days go on!

Same here :frown:
Lincoln anybody?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Noble.

Noble is it the college you've applied to that marks your MAT and can they see where you lost marks and the mistakes and working on multiple choice?

Because I acquired most marks from 2-5 and dropped heavily due to MC. - although on occasions correct working was there and put wrong answers for it. E.g first one with (a-2)^2>0 shouldve been a=/2 but put for all a- i was thinking when it became 0 or greater. etc.
Reply 1786
Anyone know when I can expect to hear back from Imperial???
Reply 1787
Original post by IWasAnEagle
anyone know what 'sequences defined iteratively' (on the syllabus) means?
Hey I saw that you got an interview offer from St Anne's. Congrats. Did you originally apply there? When did you get to hear? I applied there as well but I am still waiting :/
Does anybody know if st. caths has a pre interview test? Do any colleges have a test you have to take?
Does anyone know who to email to find out your MAT score? :smile:

Original post by souktik

Posted from TSR Mobile

Email the admissions team (e.g. [email protected]) rather than the academic tutors.
Reply 1790
Original post by fluteflute
Email the admissions team (e.g. [email protected]) rather than the academic tutors.

Oh, I see. Thanks. And apologies for the inaccurate information.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1791
Original post by nahomyemane778
Noble is it the college you've applied to that marks your MAT and can they see where you lost marks and the mistakes and working on multiple choice?

Because I acquired most marks from 2-5 and dropped heavily due to MC. - although on occasions correct working was there and put wrong answers for it. E.g first one with (a-2)^2>0 shouldve been a=/2 but put for all a- i was thinking when it became 0 or greater. etc.

From what I understand (either of the admissions people at Oxford will correct me if I'm wrong here) the papers are marked centrally by the institute and then tutors are given access to the papers and overall mark. I don't know if the tutors actually look through each paper individually to see what the candidate has done (especially for those colleges with a relatively high intake, they'd have to look at 30+ scripts), but I'm sure they'll be interested to see a rough breakdown of where you got, and lost, marks.
Original post by Noble.
From what I understand (either of the admissions people at Oxford will correct me if I'm wrong here) the papers are marked centrally by the institute and then tutors are given access to the papers and overall mark. I don't know if the tutors actually look through each paper individually to see what the candidate has done (especially for those colleges with a relatively high intake, they'd have to look at 30+ scripts), but I'm sure they'll be interested to see a rough breakdown of where you got, and lost, marks.

Thanks - thats wonderful then- I can relax a little
Hey, I'm trying the Mathematics Interview Questions, was wondering if I could get a hint at differentiating x^x. I'm fairly sure you can't differentiate as normal, I'm tempted to differentiate in the same manner you differentiate exponential functions; however there are two variables. I can see that as x increases the function increases very ​quickly, similar to an exponential but far faster. Tip?

Also, just a question relating to the MAT. When marking the multiple choice, are any marks at all given for working?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1794
Original post by TheFuture001
Hey, I'm trying the Mathematics Interview Questions, was wondering if I could get a hint at differentiating x^x. I'm fairly sure you can't differentiate as normal, I'm tempted to differentiate in the same manner you differentiate exponential functions; however there are two variables. I can see that as x increases the function increases very ​quickly, similar to an exponential but far faster. Tip?

Also, just a question relating to the MAT. When marking the multiple choice, are any marks at all given for working?

A hint to differentiating y=xx y = x^x - you want to take logs.

No, for the multiple choice, the points are awarded solely for what you put in the tick-boxes.
Reply 1795
Original post by journeyinwards
Lincoln anybody?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm also waiting to hear from Lincoln, has anyone heard from them yet?
Original post by Noble.
A hint to differentiating y=xx y = x^x - you want to take logs.

No, for the multiple choice, the points are awarded solely for what you put in the tick-boxes.

Oh okay I see, not as hard as I thought. Do you get xln(x)e^(xln(x))? (Gave up on latex)

Oh and thanks for the info.
(edited 10 years ago)

Log y=xlogx :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1798
Oh okay I see, not as hard as I thought. Do you get xln(x)e(xln(x)) xln(x)e(^xln(x)) ?

Oh and thanks for the info.

Not quite.

y=xxy = x^x

Taking logs you get

log(y)=xlog(x)\log(y) = x\log(x)

When you differentiate, you need to remember that yy is a function of xx.

How many questions are you done with?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending