The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3080
Original post by rainbowworld
Right I was wondering if anyone had any advice/has been in a similar situation... I asked my uni reference to include my predicted degree class in her reference as I'm sure I read somewhere on UCAS that they should include this. However, she completed my reference quickly but forgot to include a predicted grade. Apparently she phoned UCAS and they said it is unlikely to affect my applications but tbh I think this is rubbish. I want to apply to Bath Spa, Reading and Cambridge (Early years, Primary, Early years) and don't see any of them wanting to invite me to interview unless its clear i'm on track for a 2:1... it also may look like i'm hiding a bad grade...?
Shall I try and phone UCAS to get it re-opened. Anyone been able to do this before?

I wouldn't worry about this too much tbh..i've gotten an interview for Cambridge and unless they explicitly asked her I don't think my lecturer predicted a grade :smile:
Hi everyone,

I have an inteview on wednesday for primary teaching at uel.

Just wondering if anyone else on this will be there that day? Im so excited about it but nervous at the same time.
Original post by Brooksy1704
They tell you before hand on the website what the presentation has to be based on!!
It's the same every year so no rules have been broken!

It's still against TSR rules to discuss them specific interview activities, regardless of whether they are listed elsewhere.
Reply 3083
Hello was all set to submit my application inclusive of references but apparently my first choice (school direct) doesnt accept applications until 16th Dec so I can either remove that choice or wait until then to submit all three. Anyone else experienced this? Thanks
I am likely being dumb...on here http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/teacher-training/filling-in-your-application says theres a section for school/work experience. I am filling in the form and I can't find this section. :s-smilie:
Original post by kpwxx
It's only against the rules to give close details about what your interview was like (especially if you say which uni). It's fine for people to give more general advice and tips.

My advice would be keep in mind that they are looking for potential to be a great teacher, not a perfectly formed teacher. So don't panic thinking your ideas aren't good enough. Just make sure you think about/research what you're presenting about fully and practice roughly what you are going to say so you know it well (though you don't have to keep the same words etc every time! Just know the structure).

Also try to keep nerves down. Based on a general picture of what goes on I'd say most interviewers will be aware that you're nervous and understand this, and also try to make it less scary. It's unlikely to be 'Stand here and recite perfectly to lots of strangers'.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!

massively nervous for my next presentation because I was rejected from my first interview on Wednesday :frown:.
Don't get why some of the Uni's make you sit an English and Maths test at interview. Is that not what the skills tests are for?
Original post by andy1234567
Don't get why some of the Uni's make you sit an English and Maths test at interview. Is that not what the skills tests are for?

By making you sit additional tests they can choose the content and the level of their tests.
Reply 3088

The skills tests seem to focus on skills needed for teaching (writing letters, working out marks, planning trips etc.) so universities probably want to test something else. For primary, there's a good chance they want to examine handwriting.
Reply 3089

Another example of the stuff other repliers have already said - I know my uni which wants to check that primary trainees understand maths and English (rather than remembering facts and methods which the skills tests focus on), and the maths that they will be teaching rather than using. So they do their own maths and English audits (although they personally choose to do them during the course).

xxx
Original post by Shelly_x
It's still against TSR rules to discuss them specific interview activities, regardless of whether they are listed elsewhere.

Good God. Who is the invisible overlord that made those rules? It would be nice if he were to give a rationale for those rules AND be open for change should an appropriately strong argument arose against one of those rules.
Original post by Shelly_x
By making you sit additional tests they can choose the content and the level of their tests.

They could just do that on the Skills Tests? It makes it seem like the Skills Tests is just a requirement from the government rather than a requirement than universities agree with.
Reply 3092
Original post by Juichiro
They could just do that on the Skills Tests? It makes it seem like the Skills Tests is just a requirement from the government rather than a requirement than universities agree with.

Cough, no comment.

Although to be completely fair, the skills tests are aimed differently anyway. They are about professional skills needed to be a teacher hence why every teacher has to do them. Whereas the tests in interviews are likely to be testing subject knowledge needed to teach (mainly for primary).

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kpwxx
Cough, no comment.

Although to be completely fair, the skills tests are aimed differently anyway. They are about professional skills needed to be a teacher hence why every teacher has to do them. Whereas the tests in interviews are likely to be testing subject knowledge needed to teach (mainly for primary).

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why did you say that?

About the explanation belo, thanks for that.
I've posted in this thread a few times now but I'm just so so scared about my (second) PGCE interview on Thursday. The first one I was rejected from.

This might sound ridiculous but what do I do if I don't get into the PGCE? Get a job? Which is ok, but I know so many unemployed graduates.

My friends have heard me about talking how much I want the PGCE, I don't want to tell them I've been rejected because that's depressing.

Please please can I get on to my PGCE. That's all I want for Xmas.
Original post by bittersweet16
I've posted in this thread a few times now but I'm just so so scared about my (second) PGCE interview on Thursday. The first one I was rejected from.

This might sound ridiculous but what do I do if I don't get into the PGCE? Get a job? Which is ok, but I know so many unemployed graduates.

My friends have heard me about talking how much I want the PGCE, I don't want to tell them I've been rejected because that's depressing.

have they hey said why you were rejected? You can always try next year, take a year, get some more experience and also work experience is very valuable, yes you have to be able to teach but you also have to know what it's like to be employed. I hope you get in! I have an interview this Thursday and next Monday, I'm so worried.
Reply 3096
Original post by bittersweet16

I'm somewhat the same, although I haven't had any interviews yet but have already been rejected from my wildcard, understandably... I haven't really told many people yet, partly because it's a little depressing, but also because it's just that one choice. It's a third of my opportunity gone but I still have two left, assuming they will go the way of the other is defeatist. Just wait, chill out, and definitely don't be this nervous and anxious in that interview. Prep and be relaxed and confident, let them see how much you want it through that rather than through nerves.

And I agree with the other response r.e jobs, but also - don't forget there is a 'clearing' route for teacher training just like ugrad UCAS! This is not the end.
The wait is awful and I'm trying not to get disheartened if I get any unsuccessfuls... I've had a year out since my MA and have tried to get lots of working and professional experiences... We just have to wait and see!

On the plus side, I passed my literacy test this morning and have numeracy soon, passed all bar one practise so fingers crossed!

Good luck everyone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by awe
I'm somewhat the same, although I haven't had any interviews yet but have already been rejected from my wildcard, understandably... I haven't really told many people yet, partly because it's a little depressing, but also because it's just that one choice. It's a third of my opportunity gone but I still have two left, assuming they will go the way of the other is defeatist. Just wait, chill out, and definitely don't be this nervous and anxious in that interview. Prep and be relaxed and confident, let them see how much you want it through that rather than through nerves.

And I agree with the other response r.e jobs, but also - don't forget there is a 'clearing' route for teacher training just like ugrad UCAS! This is not the end.

That's true :smile:. Good luck with your next two.

Mandela said 'it seems impossible until it's done,' and he was right... It feels impossible getting on to the PGCE, but people do it successfully every year.

On a general note, anyone reading this applying for Citizenship?
Application is all paid for and sent off at last! Now we wait...

Latest

Trending

Trending