The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
This is meant to say something...

1386515998233.jpg

The "to be" looks wrong though...

You're still at it! :biggrin: Nice to see, which languages atm? Hope you haven't become overly ambitious haha, I could see you making such a mistake :p: Which is a good mindset, in a way
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
I must say, there is a lovely satisfactory feeling upon mastering the writing of a character which was once deemed relatively difficult. :colone:

Yes! One I always find satisfying is from 喜歡。Or maybe 懂。Always so satisfying! I do have a major love for characters!
Original post by super_kawaii
First person pronoun is basically I (in the singular) or we (in the plural) so in Mandarin would be or 我们. Personal pronouns apply to all languages-they're the words I, you, he, she, it, we, you and they :biggrin:

You can find quite a few good resources on Amazon and in major bookstores. Amazon's better I think as you can see reviews and they also tend to be quite a bit cheaper. It's best if you get a book with CDs, at it means you'll learn pronunciation better. The teach yourself course it quite good, although it doesn't teach you characters, only pinyin. You should be able to find a good character book online though.

I think that pronoun comment was one of the silliest things I've ever written :tongue: I don't know why I thought pronouns might somehow not feature in Mandarin (I suppose I thought it might be similar to the differences in writing system). But yes, that's the character I learnt, :awesome: I figured other characters were added to account for case and plurality :biggrin:

Thanks, I'll check Amazon :biggrin: Learning the characters will also help me with my Japanese.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MangoFreak
I think that pronoun comment was one of the silliest things I've ever written :tongue: I don't know why I thought pronouns might somehow not feature in Mandarin (I suppose I thought it might be similar to the differences in writing system). But yes, that's the character I learnt, :awesome: I figured other characters were added to account for case and plurality :biggrin:

Thanks, I'll check Amazon :biggrin:

No worries :tongue: Yeah, the character is added to indicate plurality with personal pronouns, so (I/me) becomes 我们 (we/us) etc. One of my previous comments shows all the personal pronouns in Mandarin.

Wouldn't mind learning a bit of Cantonese-it sounds so nice :smile:
That means 'you are', and the is right, don't worry

:woo:

To do is so hard to write :colonhash:

Original post by AquisM
Non, c'est parfait. Tu l'as écrit très bien.

Posted from TSR Mobile

MercI:colondollar:

我现在上的课非常无聊!我很盼望回家

All I understood was I :tongue:
You're still at it! :biggrin: Nice to see, which languages atm? Hope you haven't become overly ambitious haha, I could see you making such a mistake :p: Which is a good mindset, in a way

French. Spanish. Italian. Now Mandarin! Welsh too, German is too hard :frown:
:woo:

To do is so hard to write :colonhash:

MercI:colondollar:

All I understood was I :tongue:

What I wrote meant 'The class I'm in now is so boring! I can't wait to go home!' Luckily I'm back home now, although I still haven't finished my hw-534 characters and I'm still not done :facepalm:

Damn! Slow down little buddy! If you can learn Welsh, German shouldn't be any more difficult haha, how are the romance languages? I have an interest in Spanish, but that's later on, when I have built up some concrete base for Mandarin
我现在上的课非常无聊!我很盼望回家

Of these I know... wo, zar, hen, i also know the 2nd, 4th and 8th characters but can't remember the names, fml, will cover some of it tommorow!
Of these I know... wo, zar, hen, i also know the 2nd, 4th and 8th characters but can't remember the names, fml, will cover some of it tommorow!

wo3 xiànzài shàng de fēicháng wúliáo. wo3 hen3 pànwàng huíjiā :tongue: You'd hate the compositions I have to write for writing class :tongue:
What I wrote meant 'The class I'm in now is so boring! I can't wait to go home!' Luckily I'm back home now, although I still haven't finished my hw-534 characters and I'm still not done :facepalm:

I got the I bit right! How do you type in Chinese? My phone has a way that if you type in pinyin I think (like wo turns into "I") but that's all I've discovered so far.

Damn! Slow down little buddy! If you can learn Welsh, German shouldn't be any more difficult haha, how are the romance languages? I have an interest in Spanish, but that's later on, when I have built up some concrete base for Mandarin

I'm not going hard-core in any, but mandarin I probably will now :colonhash:

Romance language just make sense to me and I find them really easy... I sometimes mix up Spanish and Italian though, but I've not used them in so long that I'm forgetting it so I'll need to go over them.

Spanish is the easiest definitely :biggrin:
I got the I bit right! How do you type in Chinese? My phone has a way that if you type in pinyin I think (like wo turns into "I") but that's all I've discovered so far.

I've enabled a Mandarin keyboard on my computer, so when I type pinyin it'll automatically come up with the characters. My phone's Chinese so it's automatically got a pinyin keyboard :smile:
I've enabled a Mandarin keyboard on my computer, so when I type pinyin it'll automatically come up with the characters. My phone's Chinese so it's automatically got a pinyin keyboard :smile:

Ah okay :tongue:

I once had the option to draw it in, but I can't find it.

To go is easy to write :biggrin:
Ah okay :tongue:

I once had the option to draw it in, but I can't find it.

To go is easy to write :biggrin:

Sometimes I miss the basics

我们的行星越来越小,越来越多人有办法去外国。为此越来越多学生想出国留学。我自己是在中国学习的留学生。在大学留学常常受到鼓舞的。不过越来越多中学生出国留学。在我看来这件事有优点还有缺点。
第一个优点是学外语。在自己国家内当然可以学外语但是在别的国家可以更好学外语。比如我在大学学汉语但是我今年在中国的南京做留学。我已经知道了我的汉语水平越来越高。比在谢菲尔德学汉语我的水平提高得更快。这是因为你每天都需要用你学的外语否则不能沟通。因此在外国学外语比在本国学外语好。
第二个优点是中学生可以学外语得更快。因此去国外留学更有用应为可以更快学会学的外语因为你需要用外语否则不能沟通。如果留学的时候可以跟一个本地的家庭一起住的话外语水平能提高得越来越快。外语进步得很快。
而且因为他们更小中学生可以文化交流更容易融入因为他们的眼界比较开放。出国留学让他们知道一个新的文化,让他们更对别的生活方式承兑的。
不过那么小的孩子出国留学还有缺点。第一个缺点是中学生还是孩子,不可以好照顾自己。他们的自我管理能力不足。他们自我时间和钱能力也不足。如果他们一个人出国的话,他们不可以好照顾自己因为没有办法因为他们不知道怎么最好花钱。
第二个缺点是文化问题。因为中学生的适应能力差所以文化冲突会很重尤其如果他们很长时间出国的话。我当然同意因为我需要在中国过一年。我已经只过了四个月但是我已经非常想家。

Still not finished :facepalm:
Sometimes I miss the basics

我们的行星越来越小,越来越多人有办法去外国。为此越来越多学生想出国留学。我自己是在中国学习的留学生。在大学留学常常受到鼓舞的。不过越来越多中学生出国留学。在我看来这件事有优点还有缺点。
第一个优点是学外语。在自己国家内当然可以学外语但是在别的国家可以更好学外语。比如我在大学学汉语但是我今年在中国的南京做留学。我已经知道了我的汉语水平越来越高。比在谢菲尔德学汉语我的水平提高得更快。这是因为你每天都需要用你学的外语否则不能沟通。因此在外国学外语比在本国学外语好。
第二个优点是中学生可以学外语得更快。因此去国外留学更有用应为可以更快学会学的外语因为你需要用外语否则不能沟通。如果留学的时候可以跟一个本地的家庭一起住的话外语水平能提高得越来越快。外语进步得很快。
而且因为他们更小中学生可以文化交流更容易融入因为他们的眼界比较开放。出国留学让他们知道一个新的文化,让他们更对别的生活方式承兑的。
不过那么小的孩子出国留学还有缺点。第一个缺点是中学生还是孩子,不可以好照顾自己。他们的自我管理能力不足。他们自我时间和钱能力也不足。如果他们一个人出国的话,他们不可以好照顾自己因为没有办法因为他们不知道怎么最好花钱。
第二个缺点是文化问题。因为中学生的适应能力差所以文化冲突会很重尤其如果他们很长时间出国的话。我当然同意因为我需要在中国过一年。我已经只过了四个月但是我已经非常想家。

Still not finished :facepalm:

We ...
Is the word disgusting in there?

So many characters :cry2:
We ...
Is the word disgusting in there?

So many characters :cry2:

Don't worry about it-it's 2nd year 1st semester stuff, so it's gonna be scary for a beginner. Hopefully one day you'll be able to understand :thumbsup:
Don't worry about it-it's 2nd year 1st semester stuff, so it's gonna be scary for a beginner. Hopefully one day you'll be able to understand :thumbsup:

:ahee:

One day, need to drill it into me. How many characters a day should I be learning? I can't do too many because of other commitments but I won't do just one a day :lol:
:ahee:

One day, need to drill it into me. How many characters a day should I be learning? I can't do too many because of other commitments but I won't do just one a day :lol:

If you're just doing it casually, maybe around 5-10 a day. That'll mean you'll have 35-70 a week! You'll quickly see an improvement if you stick to it :smile:

You thinking of doing languages at uni or?
Reply 9037
我自己是在中国学习的留学生。
I might be wrong as grammar is not my strongpoint. But doesn't that sentence need a measure word?
Original post by Kolya
I might be wrong as grammar is not my strongpoint. But doesn't that sentence need a measure word?

Nope, if you're using the descriptive construction, you don't need a measure word. Only with numbers, 这,那 and do you need a measure word, as far as I know :smile:
If you're just doing it casually, maybe around 5-10 a day. That'll mean you'll have 35-70 a week! You'll quickly see an improvement if you stick to it :smile:

You thinking of doing languages at uni or?

Okay :biggrin:

Chemistry :rofl: I want it with a language though, so Chinese would be awesome but don't think that's possible.

Latest

Trending

Trending