The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7220
Original post by JackTeh96
C4H10 has one more carbon than C3H8, therefore more surface area for London force to act on (intermolecular force), therefore higher boiling point, which means that it is easier to become liquified,

But wouldn't there be more energy required to overcome these IMF forces than necessary for C3H8?
Original post by skizzle
here you go...

jan13.jpg

Notice the data they gave you is for boiling points (so to get from liquid to gas). Using the table, it would be easier to liquidify C4H10 as opposed to C3H8 because its easier to achieve -1°C as opposed to -42°C
Reply 7222
Original post by Red Fox
Applied for Engineering (Economics and Physics as back up choices)

How do we apply for these things, is it too late? And are they the Oxford equivalent of the Cambridge subject masterclasses or something else? :s-smilie:
Original post by Nat_LPS
:redface:
We're in this week and next week, but no revision over holidays so i dont mind :tongue:
have they given all your mocks before or after Christmas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing IB - I don't think I'll be getting mocks at all before or after Christmas!
But I'm going to by crying doing Maths everyday over Christmas; it's damn tough and I need to do it :frown:
Reply 7224
Well I have gone from art college to general college, back to art college and now going back somewhere else for 6 months and start again in September. Been a crazy time but at least I have a sense of where I am going now.
Got a laptop so I can finally do some work while in Oz.
I forget sometimes that it's like 5am in the UK right now :mmm:
Original post by MangoFreak
I forget sometimes that it's like 5am in the UK right now :mmm:

6am then :colone:
Reply 7228
Good to have a lay in for once on a Monday.

Now to figure out what to do today...
Original post by skizzle
But wouldn't there be more energy required to overcome these IMF forces than necessary for C3H8?

yup, more energy required to overcome the imf force in C4H10, so easier to be liquified
Original post by Cluck
How do we apply for these things, is it too late? And are they the Oxford equivalent of the Cambridge subject masterclasses or something else? :s-smilie:

Not really sure what they are but applied anyway haha must be decent and I got sent an email by my school with details on how to apply.
Reply 7231
Original post by Red Fox
Not really sure what they are but applied anyway haha must be decent and I got sent an email by my school with details on how to apply.

That's my experience with the Cambridge ones :smile: hopefully we won't be disappointed!
I got 14 out of 15 in my chemistry qualitative test on titratration:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7233
Original post by nocoolusername
I got 14 out of 15 in my chemistry qualitative test on titratration:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats :smile:

We can't do any of our coursework until next year now, science block got the flood water the worst and no practicals or lessons can take place in it :frown:
Original post by Cluck
That's my experience with the Cambridge ones :smile: hopefully we won't be disappointed!

I'll probably go for the Cambridge one aswell. I'm looking at it now, do you just book it then or do you have to be selected?
Reply 7235
Original post by Red Fox
I'll probably go for the Cambridge one aswell. I'm looking at it now, do you just book it then or do you have to be selected?

Just first-come, first-served I think. The website's having a few technical issues but they're selling out pretty fast (well, the maths one at least :smile:)
Damn, this event you guys are talking about looks good. It's a shame there's so much bias these days towards state school kids for this kind of thing.
Original post by NikolaT
Damn, this event you guys are talking about looks good. It's a shame there's so much bias these days towards state school kids for this kind of thing.

I know! I planned to go to one and then I ended up in private sixth form college so now I can't...
Physics electricity mock tomorrow:frown: but my PS4 should be here when I get home (potentially a bad move to order one in case I get addicted)
I haven't been on here in a long time, so hello.

I'm just wondering, how many of you are certain about which course you want to do? And how many of you have seriously thought about which universities you're going to go to? I haven't a clue where I'm going to apply for.

Latest