The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8840
Tbh schweinsteigger bossed us in the past, so has most of the barcelona team, we're just going to have to park bus, narrow down and hope for the best on the break. It's what we've been doing to stronger teams in midfield for years.

With Willian+Mata. I think that Mourinho did originally say that He wants to turn Mata into an inside forward, or at least get him to cut in from the flank, problem is that he has no pace, but I think that Mata is smart enough to adapt to the movements, it would help us in keeping possession in the final third as well which is another option, although I still think we're best with fast wingers and a natural playmaker in the middle like mata/oscar.

Willians best role is a free role, drifting from flank(left flank best) to the middle where its hard for him to be picked up, he would be great there if it wasn't for the fact that hazard plays on the left and Mata has a pretty free role too. The 4-2-2-2 he played was interesting, so was the 3-5-2/3-6-1. Hopefully we play that some more this season.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
I have to go through this nonsense in winning as jammily as possible every single week, we've turned into the new man united.

How you feeling about the game btw? Think if you get a signing or two in january(striker+winger) then you will win the title. This window will be crucial for both our teams tbh, not so much for City, United will definitely be in the market and liverpool too.

Was at the CC game where you just dealt with us but that was about 5 players short of our 1st team. I think Chelsea are severely imbalanced at times but you got it spot on that night. Jenkinson ****ed up royally for the first goal and after that it was game over as you soaked up the pressure and just waited for the counter, but even then it was a brilliant individual effort from Mata for the 2nd. I can see the game going the same way again tbh in that we'll completely dominate possession and you'll wait for your chance.

Also think Mourinho is more of a big game manager than Wenger, AW doesnt really change approach from game to game whereas you know Mou is going to mix it up to get everyone up for the AFC game this week. Which is why I dont read too much into your poor form atm, Mou is pretty good at starting on a blank page for big games. Also youve got some big game players like Cole to come in who will frustrate the **** out of us as usual.

From our perspective, we wont be anywhere near as poor as weve been over the last week with Gibbs back, today was a classic example of how important he is to our defensive game. We were very sloppy in midfield today too but I put this down to having flown back from a tough game in Southern Italy on Thursday morning more than anything. Walcott likes playing against Chelsea, esp Terry and with CFC playing on the counter is a useful counter-counter attack player. Giroud badly out of form and hard to back him to score atm, so similar to CFC strikers so I feel the game could be decided by a moment of magic from one of the mid fielders from either side.
I'd probs go with Rosicky next week, with you guys playing so deep we need someone like him who can change the pace and direction of our attacks more than someone like Cazorla who is inclined to go with the flow rather than set it.
Long story short: Team that scores first wins, neither team's strikers can score. :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8842
Original post by The Assassin
What would your lineup be?

Against arsenal.
Cech
Ivanovic, Terry, Cahill, Cole
Ramires, Mikel
Schurrle, Oscar, Hazard
Ba

Reason why I say ba is due to his physical presence, he runs in behind the defenders and sticks in position, a hybrid between a poacher and a target man, his link up play isn't as good as say torres or eto'o. But with Koscielny potentially out, they'll lack as much pace covering, which will mean that we could possibly run at the defenders with pace and Vermaelen hasn't had much playing time so will probably make a defensive error or two. This is why Ba would be a good player for this, If we struggle to keep the ball which will definately happen in the match, we would have a player to hoof up to.

Now you wonder why no Mata, I think that Oscar will press arteta or ramsey, like he did against kroos in the supercup or against pirlo last year. Mata can come in the second half for oscar or schurrle if we're struggling to retain the ball in the final third, like he did against tottenham.

Arsenal play with a high line as well, I don't think they'll change that just because koscielny is out, since they are at home as well. But the wings will be crucial for this game.
Reply 8843
Original post by Zürich
Was at the CC game where you just dealt with us but that was about 5 players short of our 1st team. I think Chelsea are severely imbalanced at times but you got it spot on that night. Jenkinson ****ed up royally for the first goal and after that it was game over as you soaked up the pressure and just waited for the counter, but even then it was a brilliant individual effort from Mata for the 2nd. I can see the game going the same way again tbh in that we'll completely dominate possession and you'll wait for your chance.

Also think Mourinho is more of a big game manager than Wenger, AW doesnt really change approach from game to game whereas you know Mou is going to mix it up to get everyone up for the AFC game this week. Which is why I dont read too much into your poor form atm, Mou is pretty good at starting on a blank page for big games. Also youve got some big game players like Cole to come in who will frustrate the **** out of us as usual.

From our perspective, we wont be anywhere near as poor as weve been over the last week with Gibbs back, today was a classic example of how important he is to our defensive game. We were very sloppy in midfield today too but I put this down to having flown back from a tough game in Southern Italy on Thursday morning more than anything. Walcott likes playing against Chelsea, esp Terry and with CFC playing on the counter is a useful counter-counter attack player. Giroud badly out of form and hard to back him to score atm, so similar to CFC strikers so I feel the game could be decided by a moment of magic from one of the mid fielders from either side.
I'd probs go with Rosicky next week, with you guys playing so deep we need someone like him who can change the pace and direction of our attacks more than someone like Cazorla who is inclined to go with the flow rather than set it.
Long story short: Team that scores first wins, neither team's strikers can score. :biggrin:

Good assessment. I think the same about the match, I don't think at this point Mourinho will be too willing to play for a draw away like we did with Spurs and United.

Rosicky is a player I really like tbh, very underrated player, his change of pace in dictating the tempo is probably as good as wilshere at doing so for you guys if not better. I want wilshere to get back into the form of mid last season after his injury until the spurs match at WHL.
Against arsenal.
Cech
Ivanovic, Terry, Cahill, Cole
Ramires, Mikel
Schurrle, Oscar, Hazard
Ba

Reason why I say ba is due to his physical presence, he runs in behind the defenders and sticks in position, a hybrid between a poacher and a target man, his link up play isn't as good as say torres or eto'o. But with Koscielny potentially out, they'll lack as much pace covering, which will mean that we could possibly run at the defenders with pace and Vermaelen hasn't had much playing time so will probably make a defensive error or two. This is why Ba would be a good player for this, If we struggle to keep the ball which will definately happen in the match, we would have a player to hoof up to.

Now you wonder why no Mata, I think that Oscar will press arteta or ramsey, like he did against kroos in the supercup or against pirlo last year. Mata can come in the second half for oscar or schurrle if we're struggling to retain the ball in the final third, like he did against tottenham.

Arsenal play with a high line as well, I don't think they'll change that just because koscielny is out, since they are at home as well. But the wings will be crucial for this game.

This is good and I agree however Ivanovic is suspended isn't he? Also, Mata has 4 goals in 5 against Arsenal haha so it may be a good idea to include him eventually.

I am quite worried about this though. Our set piece defending is so bad and in general it hasn't been great.

Rosicky is a player I really like tbh, very underrated player, his change of pace in dictating the tempo is probably as good as wilshere at doing so for you guys if not better. I want wilshere to get back into the form of mid last season after his injury until the spurs match at WHL.

He's our most direct attacking midfielder. He should definitely get more game time. Could've honestly been one of the best in the world if it wasn't for injuries. I still vividly remember him in Euro 2004. Him + Nedved = :coma:
Reply 8846
This is good and I agree however Ivanovic is suspended isn't he? Also, Mata has 4 goals in 5 against Arsenal haha so it may be a good idea to include him eventually.

I am quite worried about this though. Our set piece defending is so bad and in general it hasn't been great.

If Ivan is suspended, we use azpilicueta, no problem here. I would have used him originally, but I just think Ivan is fairly solid so no point taking him out for a big game.

Mata does have a great record vs arsenal though so yeah could always put him there too. But stifling the CM's of arsenal will be crucial, oscar is the best at doing this on the other team.

I would like to see us play 4-3-3 more, not now as its risky changing formation, but I think that Mourinho tinkering is a little too much(even though it works a lot), I understand if we're losing, but e.g. we play 3atb when trying to win a match and it works great, we then stop playing that then go 4-3-3 and works well, we then get beat by basel and he hasn't played that since, he'll do the same with the 4-2-2-2. I wonder whether its a case of him preparing for that formation in training for that situation, or if he does it for the variation and to be seen as a tactical genius(which he undoubtedly is tbf)

Ivanovic got lucky because the league cup game on Tuesday will count as his suspension so he's available against Arsenal.
Reply 8848
Original post by Isometrix
Ivanovic got lucky because the league cup game on Tuesday will count as his suspension so he's available against Arsenal.

Very much doubt that it's luck. Mourinho has been caught before telling his players to take yellow cards on purpose to get suspensions at the right time...
Original post by mhsc
Very much doubt that it's luck. Mourinho has been caught before telling his players to take yellow cards on purpose to get suspensions at the right time...

Managerial tekkers. He did get it for verbal dissent, which is probably the safest way to earn a booking. Can just imagine Ivanovic telling the referee, "go ahead punk, make my day" in a heavy Serbian accent lol.
Reply 8850
Original post by mhsc

Yeah, he probably told Ivanovic to get that yellow card tbh. At least it wasn't as obvious as with Ramos and Alonso... that **** was funny though.
Reply 8851
Original post by Isometrix
Managerial tekkers. He did get it for verbal dissent, which is probably the safest way to earn a booking. Can just imagine Ivanovic telling the referee, "go ahead punk, make my day" in a heavy Serbian accent lol.

Jose is the jammiest manager in world football.
Reply 8852
Oh ****, I just heard about Steve Clarke getting fired. That sucks man. Thought on the whole he did a ****ing good job there, they've just gone through a bad patch. As if they'll get anyone better than him..its ****ing West Brom, they're not going to attract anyone better.

I doubt he'd want to go from being a premier league manager back to being an assistant, but man would I love him back here. I think he has to get a lot of credit for how unbeatable we used to be.

[video="youtube;L1c5AbK4F9s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1c5AbK4F9s[/video]

The happy one
Reply 8854
Original post by mhsc
Oh ****, I just heard about Steve Clarke getting fired. That sucks man. Thought on the whole he did a ****ing good job there, they've just gone through a bad patch. As if they'll get anyone better than him..its ****ing West Brom, they're not going to attract anyone better.

I doubt he'd want to go from being a premier league manager back to being an assistant, but man would I love him back here. I think he has to get a lot of credit for how unbeatable we used to be.

I don't get the point of that sacking. Really don't. I could understand our manager sackings which while frustrating is understandable but Steve clark didn't deserve that. Very disappointed. Hopefully he gets back on track. He deserves a top job tbh.

**** it, klopp couldn't get Mainz promoted from the Bundesliga.2 and look where he is now.

you could say he's a bammy jastard...
**** it, klopp couldn't get Mainz promoted from the Bundesliga.2 and look where he is now.

Not to fight with you but he did, Mainz spent 04/05, 05/06 and 06/07.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1._FSV_Mainz_05#Recent_seasons)
Reply 8857
Original post by Enoxial
Not to fight with you but he did, Mainz spent 04/05, 05/06 and 06/07.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1._FSV_Mainz_05#Recent_seasons)

I meant the 07/08 season sorry :colondollar:
Reply 8858
you could say he's a bammy jastard...

You could definitely say that.
I meant the 07/08 season sorry :colondollar:

Its okay, mistakes happen. :h:

Latest