The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thomasawdry
What subject did you interview for?
I had my interview there yesterday and was told they'd get back to us before Christmas...

General PGCE primary
Wow, how did it go?

Thats what they told us too. i passed both my skills test and have sent them the certificate scans, so hopefully they will consider that towards my application too :smile:
Reply 3901
Skills tests over and done with, and with my interviews out of the way too I can use the rest of christmas to relax (and do some university work, but we won't think about that just yet). Numeracy was fairly straightforward, of the same difficulty as the practice tests. Literacy seemed a little harder, particularly the spellings.
Reply 3902
I've received an offer for a PGCE secondary english course, but I am a little confused about when and how I apply for student finance? Can anybody shed any light on this? Thank you
I really hope I hear something from my first choice before Friday as I assume they won't be working over Christmas being as the SCITT is based in a school.

On the plus side, sat maths and English tests for my second choice today and found them fine so should be getting an interview date for there in the next few days :smile:
Reply 3904
Original post by crm
I've received an offer for a PGCE secondary english course, but I am a little confused about when and how I apply for student finance? Can anybody shed any light on this? Thank you

You apply through Student Finance. Applications for courses starting next year open early 2014 (no specific date yet), and it's recommended you apply as soon as possible after you accept an offer. :smile:
Original post by alabelle
I got an email late last night (after 9pm) stating that I had an interview. They had this online thing where you could choose your interview slot, and by the time me and my boyfriend had co-ordinated which interview dates he had (so he can take me), there was only one slot left! So that's why mine is so late, out of the four dates the earlier ones went very quickly. I hope there's still places left by then! :tongue:

Primary :smile:

Oh goodness! Yes expected it to be a quick turnover. Someone else has posted about an interview in Feb so you should find they have spaces :smile:

Still heard nothing by post, track or email from anyone but trying to stay positive....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by crm

I think I read you can apply for finance in April time through student finance England/wales. Application should be like undergrad and uses student finance websites. You can calculate an estimate for support on their respective websites :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3907
Has anyone heard from Durham for secondary English PGCE? I had my interview last Thursday & still haven't heard anything. Not sure whether no news is good news!?
I got an unsuccessful for Uni of Leeds earlier today but have just got an interview offer for a school direct... mixed emotions today!
Original post by Juichiro
Did they at least say why?

I am applying for Secondary Modern Foreign languages. I am a bit worried about me after hearing that you got declined that easily. :frown:

Original post by Juichiro
Where do you see how many places each uni has? I lost the link.

Nope they didn't say why - I think you'll be okay though bc mfl doesn't seem to be as overpopulated as English. I'm so sorry, I don't have the link! I remember it being on this thread pages and pages back but didn't save it - sorry!
Hope you get the place you want :smile:
I have an interview at Derby tomorrow and have mixed feelings about it. I am nervous but excited! Just wish I had more chance to prepare for it, though I suppose I'd never feel completely ready. Ha!
Reply 3911
Original post by lyoung90
Has anyone heard from Durham for secondary English PGCE? I had my interview last Thursday & still haven't heard anything. Not sure whether no news is good news!?

I had an interview last Thursday for Secondary Geography and haven't heard either - they said at the end of the session that they hope to see me next year, so I'm guessing silence is a good sign!
Original post by tamiic
Interview at Sunderland in feb! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats! Is it for Primary? On the 5th? We might be in the same one. :smile:

Original post by LaurieLee
Oh goodness! Yes expected it to be a quick turnover. Someone else has posted about an interview in Feb so you should find they have spaces :smile:

Still heard nothing by post, track or email from anyone but trying to stay positive....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, just slightly worried they'll have run out of places by the time my interview comes around! Can they do that? :s
Reply 3913
Original post by Voxed
I had an interview last Thursday for Secondary Geography and haven't heard either - they said at the end of the session that they hope to see me next year, so I'm guessing silence is a good sign!

Thanks for that - that's put my mind at ease! Hope they get back to us before Christmas. Im on tenterhooks! Good luck and keep me updated :-)
Woohoo! I got an offer today for Brighton!!!!
*Attention*

Those that have completed their Numeracy Skills test, any tips? How good was it compared to the online practice tests that we are provided with?
Reply 3916
At last I have an interview :smile: for an amazing school direct secondary history at my first choice hurrah!! There is a part which is worrying me already - to give a 10 min presentation to a group of students about interesting experiences I have had in history. Do you guys think this means things I have done I can relate? Or things I have been interested in learning? Eek it's gonna be a long day - 8:30 til 4!!
Original post by madl24903
I have an interview at both Newman College and University of Birmingham.

My academics are okay, looking to get a 2.1 in a vocational subject. Experience includes 5 months in a secondary school and 2 months at primary.

I would defo apply :smile:

Ah that's good :smile: I wish you the best of luck! are they in January?
Urgh! This is all so stressful!

Ah cool. I don't have any experience in a secondary school (but I want to apply for early years so that may not matter so much), I have a years experience in a special needs primary school and 2 weeks in mainstream but I'm not sure that's enough, I don't know how much the year in special needs will count for :/ I also don't have french GCSE which they seem to want... I have German though. And my degree subject isn't directly relevant. So yeah, really unsure if it's enough, of if it will be a wasted choice.
I've never been to Cambridge before, was it nice when you went for the interview? What is the department/staff like?
Reply 3918
Thanks for that - that's put my mind at ease! Hope they get back to us before Christmas. Im on tenterhooks! Good luck and keep me updated :-)

Will do - and ditto! I'm hoping that they'll let us know by tonight or tomorrow, as about a week seems to be the usual response rate after interviews! Good luck to you too!

Original post by JungleeBilli
*Attention*

Those that have completed their Numeracy Skills test, any tips? How good was it compared to the online practice tests that we are provided with?

I found the Numeracy Skills Test fairly comparable to (if not slightly easier than) the online practice tests. By comparison I found the Literacy Skills Test slightly harder than the practice tests, and for what it's worth I'm definitely more confident in literacy than numeracy.

As for tips I'd recommend starting as many of the mental arithmetic questions as you can after the first reading, as it'll give you extra time to do calculations. Write down any numbers mentioned with context (e.g. 18 pupils, rather than just 18), as it'll help you to know what to do them. For the calculator section just make sure you read the whole text of the question, as it's easy to lose marks by not writing an answer to two decimal places or in the correct units etc. Other than that stay as calm as you can and you'll be fine! :smile:

How did you find it? Fingers crossed for you!

Just found out I have an interview at Durham for Secondary English on 15th January, so excited, but am on holiday til 12th January so will have to prep for it before I go!

Original post by alabelle
Congrats! Is it for Primary? On the 5th? We might be in the same one. :smile:

Yes, just slightly worried they'll have run out of places by the time my interview comes around! Can they do that? :s

I hope not, I think it would be a terrible system if they could fill all places before they finish interviewing. I am sure you will be fine :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending