The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2100
Original post by hilbert_spaces
Hah, so still 20 days to go.

How did you friend receive a couple of Skype interviews? With different colleges?

Yeah, he was invited by two colleges for interviews. He had a phone interview with tutors at Pembroke first, then he had a Skype interview with tutors at St John's (his original choice).

Posted from TSR Mobile
When can we expect to receive the decision? I am very nervous and hope to see the decision soon.

I had my computer science Skype interview today. But I solved pretty much all problems in 15 minutes. Is that a bad sign? My friend at Oxford told me the tutors want to see what you cannot solve and then teach you that in the interview. So solving all the problems actually ruined my interview? I am kinda worried. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Thx.

The tutors will have wanted to find out how you think - they can do that with you getting the answers right! They will be looking to see how you respond (including to hints) but that can be done quite quickly. If they had wanted more information they would have interviewed you for longer, or given you a second interview. It's really hard to read into how interviews went. Trying to second guess everything normally just makes people more stressed. I know it's easy for me to say, but try and sit back and relax.
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
The tutors will have wanted to find out how you think - they can do that with you getting the answers right! They will be looking to see how you respond (including to hints) but that can be done quite quickly. If they had wanted more information they would have interviewed you for longer, or given you a second interview. It's really hard to read into how interviews went. Trying to second guess everything normally just makes people more stressed. I know it's easy for me to say, but try and sit back and relax.

How exactly do I request for my MAT score in January? By the way I asked the tutors in my interview and they said they couldn't give it to me then- I'd have to enquire further with admissions office
Original post by nahomyemane778
How exactly do I request for my MAT score in January? By the way I asked the tutors in my interview and they said they couldn't give it to me then- I'd have to enquire further with admissions office

In January, after the offer letters have been sent out, you can request feedback on the application process by contacting the college admissions office.

(If you can bear to wait a few days, the college admissions office will appreciate it, because they will almost certainly get flooded with requests, and they've been busy constantly since the beginning of December.)
Original post by OxfordMathsDept
In January, after the offer letters have been sent out, you can request feedback on the application process by contacting the college admissions office.

(If you can bear to wait a few days, the college admissions office will appreciate it, because they will almost certainly get flooded with requests, and they've been busy constantly since the beginning of December.)

merci beaucoup.
Its good to be back in London and all this is over :adore:
Reply 2106
My second interview was one hour long lol
Good luck everyone! I guess all we can do is sit back and relax until we receive the letter.
(edited 10 years ago)
Just wondering, how can we expect to get a reply, I.e in the form of an email, telephone call, letter? Does it depend on whether someone gets an offer or not?
Also, as it's already been two weeks now, I'm guessing some have got offers already?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2109
Original post by NewtonsApple
Just wondering, how can we expect to get a reply, I.e in the form of an email, telephone call, letter? Does it depend on whether someone gets an offer or not?
Also, as it's already been two weeks now, I'm guessing some have got offers already?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a letter posted on January 7th which should arrive on the 8th.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
Original post by seohyun
It's a letter posted on January 7th which should arrive on the 8th.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Does it apply to all colleges?
Reply 2111
Does it apply to all colleges?

Yes. (With the exception of Harris Manchester, I guess.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by souktik
Yes. (With the exception of Harris Manchester, I guess.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great. 2 weeks to go.

I'm basically too nervous to do anything before Jan 7. I attempted to read some maths texts but I wasn't able to focus at all.

What have you been doing recently? Preparing for the IMO team selection?
Reply 2113
Great. 2 weeks to go.

I'm basically too nervous to do anything before Jan 7. I attempted to read some maths texts but I wasn't able to focus at all.

What have you been doing recently? Preparing for the IMO team selection?

No, just writing essays. Deciding to apply to American unis was rather unwise. :tongue:
And I'm pretty nervous as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by souktik
No, just writing essays. Deciding to apply to American unis was rather unwise. :tongue:
And I'm pretty nervous as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, luck plays a big role in US college admissions.

IMO, definitely choose Oxford unless you can get into Harvard, Princeton, MIT, or Stanford. I wouldn't even choose Caltech over Oxford cuz the Caltech's core is ridiculous; you have to do chemistry, biology, geography, physics, astronomy, humanities etc ...
Reply 2115

IMO, definitely choose Oxford unless you can get into Harvard, Princeton, MIT, or Stanford. I wouldn't even choose Caltech over Oxford cuz the Caltech's core is ridiculous; you have to do chemistry, biology, geography, physics, astronomy, humanities etc ...

If MIT's course is supposed to be the more challenging out of Harvard, Princeton, MIT and Stanford - I'd rather be at Oxford. From what I've seen of MIT problem sheets and exams, their undergraduate course isn't of 'COWI' standard. Although there's no denying it has a better reputation than, at least, the WI part of COWI.
Original post by Noble.
If MIT's course is supposed to be the more challenging out of Harvard, Princeton, MIT and Stanford - I'd rather be at Oxford. From what I've seen of MIT problem sheets and exams, their undergraduate course isn't of 'COWI' standard. Although there's no denying it has a better reputation than, at least, the WI part of COWI.

MIT's course shouldn't be easy, otherwise there won't be that many IMO gold medalists going to MIT every year.

I think probably what you looked at were the easy versions for scientists and engineers. Maths majors usually take 'Honors' courses.

I found Havard's Algebra and Analysis courses. They seem to be quite challenging.

http://www.math.harvard.edu/~elkies/M55a.10/
http://www.math.harvard.edu/~elkies/M55b.10/
Reply 2117

The core is that broad for any American college, not just Caltech. And well, I'm VERY unlikely to got into even one among HYPSM. :tongue:
Original post by Noble.

COWI as in Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Imperial?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by souktik
The core is that broad for any American college, not just Caltech. And well, I'm VERY unlikely to got into even one among HYPSM. :tongue:

COWI as in Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Imperial?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, Caltech's science core is notorious. At Stanford, Berkeley, Princeton etc. you don't need to complete that many core courses; even if you need to, you can use AP credits to fulfill the requirements. But Caltech doesn't give you any credit for AP qualifications.

Somehow I think Oxford's maths course is better than Cambridge's maths course. Cambridge's maths course seems to involve too much physics and applied stuff. Well it would probably be great for people who want to 'double major' in maths and physics though.
Original post by Noble.

MITs course is considered by many to be second only to cambridge....and even then its debatable which is better

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending