The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9520
Original post by cleveradam
Torres ripped through Sakho then wrong-footed the Liverpool defense and nearly scored an amazing goal - if only that went in.

Torres ripped through Sakho

What actually happened was Sakho got cramp.
Good and important win for us. Still expect the reds to be challenging for the title.
Original post by Deshi

What actually happened was Sakho got cramp.

Did the other defenders also get a cramp?
Poor Liverpool, now they have a thin squad all of a sudden.
Reply 9523
Original post by bammy jastard 27
It may sound arrogant of me but I expected the game to go like this. I said yesterday that if terry or Cahill did a job on suarez, the only other key to the liverpool attack was henderson, henderson had a decent game but it wasn't enough to be a matchwinner. Suarez creating space for sterling isn't going to do much when he's not good enough. Coutinho is a good player, but still needs time to develop, he's not the guy who can turn a game by the scruff of the neck consistently like Suarez can. I also said if there was any defence to stop suarez, it would be Chelseas, I was definitely proven right today.

yeah you did say that tbf, I was still a bit skeptical given the way some of the games have gone, I thought it would probably end up being a 2-2 draw or something like that, but we were very impressive
Reply 9524
Original post by cleveradam
Did the other defenders also get a cramp?
Poor Liverpool, now they have a thin squad all of a sudden.

Did I say they did? Was just pointing out the stupid part of your post. :smile:
Woop woop!

David Luiz, what a performance my son. Jose now you know how good he is in midfield!!!!

And saw some brilliant defensive work from the AMs today :smile: I'm so happy!!!

Best attacking mid in the league.
Reply 9527
Original post by Isometrix

Best attacking mid in the league.

He needs to improve his finishing some more though, want him to become more clinical like Messi. Great goal though.
Reply 9528
Cahill's first yellow at home since signing for us apparently, ridiculous stat for a CB.

Fantastic performance, deserved to win although Liverpool were very unlucky to not get a penalty. Justice for our last meeting I suppose. Luiz should feature in midfield a lot more, thought he was fantastic today, don't see how Mourinho can be against him playing there after that performance.

Hazard just needs to work on his consistency and finishing tbf, he's created the highest number of chances in the league this season, imagine if we had a clinical top class striker...
Lucas likes to dish out the dirty tackles but can't take them. Reacted badly to Oscar too. :smile:
Reply 9530
Just like l'pool fans :tongue:
Original post by The Assassin
Lucas likes to dish out the dirty tackles but can't take them. Reacted badly to Oscar too. :smile:

I know right smh
We need more strikes and left wingers :unimpressed:
:smile:
Reply 9534
Oh lord now I've calmed down a bit I gotta say I was impressed with Willian. That was the best match I've seen him play for you, his all round gameplay was impressive, tracked back well and got forward when he should have. I think it's something we lack. Sterling and Coutinho are weak/small and not the best at tracking back. Hazard was marauding down both wings with ease.

I think the difference in experience on the pitch showed as well. Coutinho kept trying to play all these through balls/take random long shots and I'm pretty sure none of them came off when all we had to do was keep our normal passing game going. We were so clumsy in possession, part of that was down to your pressing but we weren't very good with the ball. I don't think we got the ball to Suarez's feet more than 2/3 times? Absolute waste.

Sterling got forward well, mugged off your leftback a few times no end product though so it didn't really matter. The difference in strength on our benches was pretty funny.

Quite a few of our players had an off day (probably the ****test I've seen Johnson play) and you definitely deserve credit for some of it, but we didn't help ourselves at all. Looking forward to getting revenge at Anfield.

And Jam I know you were pretty confident that Aspas would do well but I'm pretty sure he's not going to make it.
Reply 9535
Original post by Deshi
Oh lord now I've calmed down a bit I gotta say I was impressed with Willian. That was the best match I've seen him play for you, his all round gameplay was impressive, tracked back well and got forward when he should have. I think it's something we lack. Sterling and Coutinho are weak/small and not the best at tracking back. Hazard was marauding down both wings with ease.

I think the difference in experience on the pitch showed as well. Coutinho kept trying to play all these through balls/take random long shots and I'm pretty sure none of them came off when all we had to do was keep our normal passing game going. We were so clumsy in possession, part of that was down to your pressing but we weren't very good with the ball. I don't think we got the ball to Suarez's feet more than 2/3 times? Absolute waste.

Sterling got forward well, mugged off your leftback a few times no end product though so it didn't really matter. The difference in strength on our benches was pretty funny.

Quite a few of our players had an off day (probably the ****test I've seen Johnson play) and you definitely deserve credit for some of it, but we didn't help ourselves at all. Looking forward to getting revenge at Anfield.

And Jam I know you were pretty confident that Aspas would do well but I'm pretty sure he's not going to make it.

Willian definitely had a great game today, he still hasn't imposed himself on the game as much as Hazard has done this season, but like against arsenal, his build up play was pretty sublime and all round play, still needs to improve in the final third but hey its a solid start from him. I thought we didn't need him, but I can see why we bought him.

Coutinho was so poor today, Sterlings end product is just :lol: as long as we marked suarez we were always going to get a win tbh. Henderson being the only other person capable of changing things around is saying a lot. Just :rofl: at your bench. Even Arsenals bench earlier this season when everyone was injured wasn't that bad. But saying that, If Sturridge was fit, it would have been a different game, I'm not relishing the trip to anfield when your squad is fully fit tbh.

I've learnt my lesson with aspas, never judge a player based on pre-season friendlies. There was just no point bringing him on. Might as well have kept Borini, or even play Jordan Ibe.
(edited 10 years ago)
Didn't get to watch the game, but I was confident of winning. They were lucky to take points off us on both occasions last season. At SB last year, we should've killed them off. At Anfield, Suarez should've been off and then he scored the equalizer. Things always come back to haunt you.

Liverpool have had their fair bit of luck in the past 3 years at ours, so it was about time we got a home win against them.
Reply 9537
http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2013/12/29/5253872/jose-mourinho-frank-lampard-branislav-ivanovic-injury-updates-chelsea-fc-news
Mourinho reports Lampard has a muscular injury and will miss some matches. Ivanovic's injury is painful but not serious.

Reckon we'll see more of Luiz in midfield with Lampard out then, may even spur us to sign a CM in January. Should cope without Ivanovic for a few weeks.
Reply 9538
Original post by Nickini
http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2013/12/29/5253872/jose-mourinho-frank-lampard-branislav-ivanovic-injury-updates-chelsea-fc-news

Reckon we'll see more of Luiz in midfield with Lampard out then, may even spur us to sign a CM in January. Should cope without Ivanovic for a few weeks.

Hearing that Bertrand may be on his way to liverpool. I hope if that's the case, we delay the transfer for a week or two. There's always using Essien there too in emergency situations I guess.
Reply 9539

So Ivanovic might not make it back for Southampton? Would be great to see Azpilicueta back at RB again. If you notice he was quite involved in our second goal, making that good run and providing the cross.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest