The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If we sell mata it has to be abroad. Man Utd will be making enquiries this window as they desperately need some quality in midfield. Also sell Ba. We should get enough money from those sales to fund a good striker.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I misread, I thought he said 'is our next HOME game against United' haha I know that we have hull on the 11th.
Original post by Isometrix
If we sell mata it has to be abroad. Man Utd will be making enquiries this window as they desperately need some quality in midfield. Also sell Ba. We should get enough money from those sales to fund a good striker.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh it is, I read Inter want him and they can splash the cash now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And about strikers, the problem that I have noticed is that there are NO good strikers available on the market
Ah right, never mind. Well, hopefully they don't get a central midfielder by that time.
Original post by Galileo Galilei
I misread, I thought he said 'is our next HOME game against United' haha I know that we have hull on the 11th.

Ah, no worries. My apologies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are there any genuinely reputable sources regarding a prospective sale for Mata? Currently it just seems like a combination of hearsay and fans filling in the gaps like it's FM. 'United need a midfielder, ergo they'll be signing Mata'; 'PSG have money; ergo they'll be signing Mata'. That sort of thing.
Reply 9666
Original post by Skkc16
I'm not sure whether he realises it but knows Oscar will always be his first choice in the hole so he's trying to get him to play from the wing. I've noticed even without Oscar in the team Mata always starts on the wing, and today we had Hazard starting in the hole and in the other games it's Willian. Obviously they interchange but it's not quite the same

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't get it tbh. He said he liked players playing on opposite flanks to their feet. But the problem is due to mata's lack of pace. He isn't really a dribbler, he has good ball control and guile, but he's not direct in his dribbling, he looks to thread through balls into other players or get into goalscoring positions himself and create a half chance with some space. It's harder for him to do that in the middle.

He can't become faster suddenly. But I hope he plays more games, I'd like to see Mata start in a big game, just to show that Mourinho has faith in him and for Mata to show what he can do. Remember Mourinho didn't want to start luiz in midfield, he started him there and we played our performance of the season. He's a man who while he is a grudge holder, knows what's best for the team, if Mata clearly is playing ahead of Oscar/Hazard/Willian/Schurrle he will play games.

The problem last season was not enough depth, now we have too much, somebody was always going to miss out, I thought it would be Oscar, turned out it was Mata.
Reply 9667
We won't sell Mata and KDB in the same window, and KDB is almost nailed on to be leaving.

Tbf this is being blown out of proportion, players fall out of favour all the time, and this season Oscar>Mata. It's just because it's Mourinho that the media have such a field day over it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9668
Oh it is, I read Inter want him and they can splash the cash now.
I read Inter were considering offering £12.5m for him, which is absolutely hilarious. Would want at least triple that if we were to sell him tbf.
Reply 9669
Mata to United makes no sense whatsoever bar appeasement of the fans there.

He plays best in the Hole, they have Rooney and kagawa there.

He's not been too great this season playing on the wing, that's the only position they'll have space for him.

He'll encounter the exact same problem there as he has here, if he plays every game with Rooney and he plays on the wing, he'll be in poor form. Going to United makes no sense. PSG is an option, but will they change their 4-3-3 system to accommodate mata, I don't think so yet. Lavezzi and Lucas fit the system more than Mata, so he'll also be on the bench. Cavani and Ibra are beasting it this season, so he's not taking their spots in a million years.

Dortmund don't have the money, Bayern he'll be on the bench, Barca he'll be on the bench(nor would he go there) Madrid sold Ozil, why would they buy Mata, Arsenal don't need him, Liverpool won't get him unless they make CL this summer Spurs won't get him. I'm pretty confident about the situation.
Reply 9670
Original post by Nickini
We won't sell Mata and KDB in the same window, and KDB is almost nailed on to be leaving.

Tbf this is being blown out of proportion, players fall out of favour all the time, and this season Oscar>Mata. It's just because it's Mourinho that the media have such a field day over it.

This.

I was saying my comments on squad depth in a more sarcastic manner.
Reply 9671
Original post by KingMessi
Ah, no worries. My apologies.

Are there any genuinely reputable sources regarding a prospective sale for Mata? Currently it just seems like a combination of hearsay and fans filling in the gaps like it's FM. 'United need a midfielder, ergo they'll be signing Mata'; 'PSG have money; ergo they'll be signing Mata'. That sort of thing.
PSG *apparently* put in a £40m bid on deadline day; but as you say no real sources reported on it and given how small of a deal was made about it I am skeptical.

It's like this recent article, Mourinho says "My door is always open, but I don't want to sell him" which apparently translates to "Mata is free to leave"...
Original post by Nickini

I don't think its so far fetched to see Mata leave in January, considering KDB could simply be loaned out. After reading Mourinho's interview after the game: ‘I don’t want him to go, that is my opinion and that is my wish - but my door is open.", he obviously doesn't want him to leave but could possibly be out of his own hands since Mata could easily hand in a transfer request. Its a World Cup year as well.

WC year is an odd excuse tbh. He barely got any minutes last season and whenever he's played he hasn't looked great. Maybe for making the squad in the first place but I don't think his play time would be significantly affected.
Original post by Nickini
I read Inter were considering offering £12.5m for him, which is absolutely hilarious. Would want at least triple that if we were to sell him tbf.

12.5 is a joke
Original post by The Assassin
WC year is an odd excuse tbh. He barely got any minutes last season and whenever he's played he hasn't looked great. Maybe for making the squad in the first place but I don't think his play time would be significantly affected.

He got 10 apps last year for Spain. He'll be lucky to even get 1 in 2014 if he sticks around Mourinho IMO.
I know but weren't a lot of them as a sub anyways?
Reply 9677
Original post by little_tom
I don't think its so far fetched to see Mata leave in January, considering KDB could simply be loaned out. After reading Mourinho's interview after the game: ‘I don’t want him to go, that is my opinion and that is my wish - but my door is open.", he obviously doesn't want him to leave but could possibly be out of his own hands since Mata could easily hand in a transfer request. Its a World Cup year as well.

Thing is if both KDB and Mata go (regardless if its a loan/transfer) we'd be left with 3 players for 4 positions. We'd go from having arguably one of the best depths in the AM positions in the world bar Bayern to being two injuries away from disaster and having virtually no depth whatsoever. Could recall Moses but he's been pretty terrible for Liverpool, doubt he really has a future here.

Mata is still under contract until 2016 so the club would have the final say, and Mata has been getting games (unlike KDB), albeit not the big ones, and he hasn't performed. Right now our best trio is Hazard/Oscar/Willian without a shadow of a doubt.

12.5 is a joke
I know, borderline offensive.
Original post by Nickini
Thing is if both KDB and Mata go (regardless if its a loan/transfer) we'd be left with 3 players for 4 positions. We'd go from having arguably one of the best depths in the AM positions in the world bar Bayern to being two injuries away from disaster and having virtually no depth whatsoever. Could recall Moses but he's been pretty terrible for Liverpool, doubt he really has a future here.

Mata is still under contract until 2016 so the club would have the final say, and Mata has been getting games (unlike KDB), albeit not the big ones, and he hasn't performed. Right now our best trio is Hazard/Oscar/Willian without a shadow of a doubt.

I know, borderline offensive.

But you're assuming you won't buy in January. I'm sure Mourinho has something up his sleeve
Reply 9679
Original post by little_tom
But you're assuming you won't buy in January. I'm sure Mourinho has something up his sleeve
Who could we realistically get that would be an improvement on Mata though? And I would be very surprised if we sold two AMs only to buy another one. Perhaps if we bought a striker/CM who can play competently as a number 10, but I still don't think it's likely.

Latest