The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amy Williams
I assumed only one interviewer interviews applicants? I would be so nervous if there was more than one!

I had a panel of four at my SD interview. One from the uni, one from the academy trust, one teacher and a recruitment person. It was fine! They were all lovely :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Amy Williams
I assumed only one interviewer interviews applicants? I would be so nervous if there was more than one!

I had three head teachers at my interview...but that was for a SD place rather than a uni place. When we had the group discussion though, we had three head teachers, a class teacher at the school and the university administrator all observing us...now that was scary!
Original post by Laurencarey123
Hi, I had the email about a week ago and my interview is next Friday. I've only heard back from one of my choices so far so don't worry :smile: and yeh you can change date if you need to! For my interview at lincoln there is a individual interview, group task and we have to give a presentation to the other candidates! Scary stuff!!
X

took a breath of relief!!uuufff....thanx sweetie.
Has anyone had an interview at Kingston? I have one for maths but from the email I gather its a mixed subject interview.
There doesn't seem to be any mention of a presentation which I've had to do at my other interviews. Does anyone know if I'll be asked to do one on the day?
Original post by Katiebarnes1991
Hi, i have been doing the practice literacy and numeracy tests online and i know that on the literacy it says pass or fail but on the maths it just brings up all the questions you got correct or incorrect. how do you know if you pass?

try to calculate 60%.You must get 60%marks to pass.That's how they calculate i believe
Hi I also have interviews for Durham, Sunderland and Newcastle. First one is Durham on Monday. Good luck!
Original post by tamiic
Thanks! :smile: I'm going for primary, I'm so nervous! How was your interview? I'm hoping it's relaxed!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I also have interviews at Durham, Newcastle and Sunderland. My first one is Durham on Monday, would love any advice from anyone that's already had an interview there! Are the tests a similar standard to the professional skills tests?
Anyone know how seriously they take the literacy tests you do at the uni? I had to do one yesterday and whilst I'm not worrying about my spelling or grammar, after talking to some others I found out they made their answers subject specific whilst I didn't, so now I'm thinking I didn't really answer the question!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
Anyone know how seriously they take the literacy tests you do at the uni? I had to do one yesterday and whilst I'm not worrying about my spelling or grammar, after talking to some others I found out they made their answers subject specific whilst I didn't, so now I'm thinking I didn't really answer the question!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not just saying this but I experienced the exact same thing! I feel that I did much better on my maths, as my English I didn't really answer the question directly!

I would assume it is a small part of it and that if your interview went well, they wouldn't not accept you just because of your English content (presuming spelling, grammar and punctuation were fine).

Try not to worry too much, I keep thinking about what I should have said and done, but we can't change it now :frown:.
Original post by siffatsaad
try to calculate 60%.You must get 60%marks to pass.That's how they calculate i believe

i think it's 63% now.
It is.
Original post by siffatsaad

i think it's 63% now.
Original post by womanonamission
I'm not just saying this but I experienced the exact same thing! I feel that I did much better on my maths, as my English I didn't really answer the question directly!

I would assume it is a small part of it and that if your interview went well, they wouldn't not accept you just because of your English content (presuming spelling, grammar and punctuation were fine).

Try not to worry too much, I keep thinking about what I should have said and done, but we can't change it now :frown:.

Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only one! Gladly I didn't have a maths test. Yeah I would hope it wouldn't be a deal breaker, so fingers crossed. I know my interviewer said he will interview us then look through the literacy test so I was thinking oh noooo, but maybe he will just scan them, hopefully. They must get bored of reading so many of the same task.

Yep I keep telling myself not to worry. I can't change anything now.
I am getting rather nervous for my interview tomorrow!

I have only ever done two interviews, both were like 10 mins long, this is 7 hours :|
Original post by xxstace123xx

I have only ever done two interviews, both were like 10 mins long, this is 7 hours :|

Don't worry! They never end up being as bad as you imagine. I had a 6.5 hour long day yesterday so I know the feeling. It is a stupidly long day for an interview and I was exhausted afterwards. I felt so sick before hand as my stomach really plays up when I get nervous before interviews. It wasn't that bad though. Once you get in and meet people who are in the same position it tends to be fine and it helps me relax talking to people.

Easier said than done though, I know. I have another next Weds and I know I'll feel just as sick as nervous :awesome:

Aw bless you, I felt the same. All you can do is get through it!

The majority of the day is laid back and you will have areas that aren't tested such as a tour of the Uni or a talk.

The main part is the 1-1 interview as that's where you can really shine.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4496

If it's anything like interview days I've been to, it won't be seven solid hours of pressure though, there's plenty of time to relax and chat to other applicants in between 1-1 interviews/presentations/tests etc, and I usually find that that makes you feel a bit calmer, and you feel a bit better before going into the interview and other things. They tend to have a bit of an opening chat/presentation as well, sometimes with refreshments - there's no point making the applicants so nervous that you don't see any of their real personalities, and I think most universities know that :smile:

I had two interview days, one of 4 hours, one of 5, and I think the interview/presentation/tests in total took up about an hour, all together. They've just got to get through everyone, so it's a long day sometimes!

Good luck
Reply 4497
Hello, just wondered if anyone would be able to help?

When did uni's start to release their prospectus' & start having open days last year? I am considering applying for a pgce/schools direct programme in 2015 (am in the early stages of thinking about it) and just wondered when I could start ordering them/visiting unis?

Thank you everyone & good luck with your applications!
Original post by Airfairy
Don't worry! They never end up being as bad as you imagine. I had a 6.5 hour long day yesterday so I know the feeling. It is a stupidly long day for an interview and I was exhausted afterwards. I felt so sick before hand as my stomach really plays up when I get nervous before interviews. It wasn't that bad though. Once you get in and meet people who are in the same position it tends to be fine and it helps me relax talking to people.

Easier said than done though, I know. I have another next Weds and I know I'll feel just as sick as nervous :awesome:

Ah I get the speech jitters, which is excellent haha :frown: 1 to 1 interview isn't until the end of the day, but presentation is first thing. I'm not even sure why I get so worked up about it, I'm never nervous when talking in front of a class of children, I think it is just all the pressure!

Ah well good luck for that, I am interviewing for 2 courses at the same place tomorrow and the other place on Monday! But on the plus side I should have an answer soon :smile:

Original post by womanonamission
Aw bless you, I felt the same. All you can do is get through it!

The majority of the day is laid back and you will have areas that aren't tested such as a tour of the Uni or a talk.

The main part is the 1-1 interview as that's where you can really shine.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I am applying for a SCITT so it is based in one of their consortium schools, but I have a timetable and there are coffee breaks and they give you lunch.

I think after the initial presentation is over I will be ok, it is just fear of the unknown.

Thanks!

Original post by FreyaW
If it's anything like interview days I've been to, it won't be seven solid hours of pressure though, there's plenty of time to relax and chat to other applicants in between 1-1 interviews/presentations/tests etc, and I usually find that that makes you feel a bit calmer, and you feel a bit better before going into the interview and other things. They tend to have a bit of an opening chat/presentation as well, sometimes with refreshments - there's no point making the applicants so nervous that you don't see any of their real personalities, and I think most universities know that :smile:

I had two interview days, one of 4 hours, one of 5, and I think the interview/presentation/tests in total took up about an hour, all together. They've just got to get through everyone, so it's a long day sometimes!

Good luck

Yes there are gaps, a coffee break and a lunch break and also the times when you are waiting for the other applicants, there is a presentation, a task with children, maths and English tests and interviews so I can see why it takes a while!

Thanks!
Reply 4499
I had an interview day yesterday, offer by voicemail last night and have just accepted on UCAS!!! Can't believe it's happened so quick!!

Absolutely over the moon (School Direct Secondary History)

Latest

Trending

Trending