The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ronove
Most times I see Dutch it amazes me how it seems closer to Danish than to German in so many ways.

Same! I don't speak any Dutch but I can usually figure out some of what it says. Have considered learning it in the past but I don't think now would be the best time :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ronove
Most times I see Dutch it amazes me how it seems closer to Danish than to German in so many ways.

Really?:eek: that's a surprise!
Original post by super_kawaii
Dutch is hard! Damn, I'm not used to being a beginner again!

:mmm: what's hard about it?
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Really?:eek: that's a surprise!

:mmm: what's hard about it?

Just getting used to how to say everything! I'm not used to being a beginner again :frown:
Just getting used to how to say everything! I'm not used to being a beginner again :frown:

The pronunciation? It's very glottal isn't it?
The pronunciation? It's very glottal isn't it?

Seems quite, but it's not as harsh as German
Original post by Ronove

Haha remember 'hoofdpijn' :lol:
What do you think about West Frisian then? xP

Dutch is hard! Damn, I'm not used to being a beginner again!

O nee! Wat is er aan de hand?

Original post by boumavilla
You wanna learn Dutch??!?! :teeth:

Come join the family. :colone:

Hoi! :gah:

Nu heb ik drie Nederlandse boeken!!! :woo: Mijn vriend heeft voor mij Harry Potter en de Vuurbeker gekocht. :yep:

Jouw gezicht weer! (Your face again!) :rolleyes: :lol:

Dat is aardig van je vriend! Kan je het wel lezen? :tongue:

As always, I've made some slight alterations to your quote :wink:
You might be interested to know that 'to have bought' is a regular past participle in German (kaufen - gekauft), but not in Dutch (kopen - gekocht) 'gekocht' incidentally means 'to have cooked' in German (kochen-gekocht)

I expect only Ronove could follow this random cross-linguistic train of thought at this stage :mmm:
(edited 10 years ago)
Seems quite, but it's not as harsh as German

Echt waar? / Echt wahr? / Really? :wink:
Reply 9607
Original post by thatitootoo

Jou gezicht weer! (Your face again!) :rolleyes: :lol:

You might be interested to know that 'to have bought' is a regular past participle in German (kaufen - gekauft), but not in Dutch (kopen - gekocht) 'gekocht' incidentally means 'to have cooked' in German (kochen-gekocht)

I expect only Ronove could follow this random cross-linguistic train of thought at this stage :mmm:

I don't think I've ever actually bothered looking at any examples of West Frisian, how naughty of me. :teehee:

I would have skipped over the more detailed Dutch talk had I not seen the 'gekocht' sentence and done a double-take. :tongue:
Original post by Ronove
I don't think I've ever actually bothered looking at any examples of West Frisian, how naughty of me. :teehee:

I would have skipped over the more detailed Dutch talk had I not seen the 'gekocht' sentence and done a double-take. :tongue:

Ich habe gekocht (egg) (don't know gender, but it'd be accusative right?)
Original post by Ronove

:teehee: You are forgiven, Roney!
West Frisian is definitely the 'Romanian' of the the Germanic language family :tongue:
Reply 9610
Ich habe gekocht (egg) (don't know gender, but it'd be accusative right?)

As in I boiled an egg? That would indeed be accusative. :smile: It's ein Ei (neuter). Ich habe ein Ei gekocht. Nun esse ich das gekochte Ei.
Original post by Ronove
As in I boiled an egg? That would indeed be accusative. :smile: It's ein Ei (neuter). Ich habe ein Ei gekocht. Nun esse ich das gekochte Ei.

I fried it :tongue:

Now eat I the cooked egg = crazy word order :frown: I'd have said

I now eat, the cooked egg
Reply 9612

I don't think you can say gekocht in that case, it literally means boiled. :smile: A fried egg is ein Spiegelei, and to fry something is etwas braten or etwas in der Pfanne braten.

Ich habe ein Spiegelei gebraten.

And the word order honestly becomes sheer instinct as time goes on.

Hmmm I might be able to top that word order, but not sure if it would still be 'authentic German', but I'll post it anyway :tongue:

"Ich bin dabei, das gekochte Ei zu essen"

And I will most certaintly not provide a literal translation for this one :cool:

Jouw gezicht weer! (Your face again!) :rolleyes: :lol:

Echt waar? / Echt wahr? / Really? :wink:

It's just quite hard to keep up really. Step by step I guess, just like I have done with the other languages I've learnt.

I guess I think it sounds nice from just hearing it as pillow talk I guess :love: :colondollar:
Original post by Ronove
I don't think you can say gekocht in that case, it literally means boiled. :smile: A fried egg is ein Spiegelei, and to fry something is etwas braten or etwas in der Pfanne braten.

Ich habe ein Spiegelei gebraten.

And the word order honestly becomes sheer instinct as time goes on.

Oh :lol: maybe not then :tongue:

Hopefully, although I'm focussing on Spanish and Italian I think! German for the summer...

Hmmm I might be able to top that word order, but not sure if it would still be 'authentic German', but I'll post it anyway :tongue:

"Ich bin dabei, das gekochte Ei zu essen"

And I will most certaintly not provide a literal translation for this one :cool:

I am ..., it's cooked egg you eat?
It's just quite hard to keep up really. Step by step I guess, just like I have done with the other languages I've learnt.

I guess I think it sounds nice from just hearing it as pillow talk I guess :love: :colondollar:

Dat snap ik! :yep:
Neem het rustig aan. één voor één :smile:
("één voor één" is the expression for "one by one" or "one step at a time")

De taal der liefde!
(That's an old idiom from back when Dutch still used cases) "Die Sprache der Liebe" sound familiar? :wink:
Original post by l'evil fish
oh :lol: Maybe not then :tongue:

hopefully, although i'm focussing on spanish and italian i think! German for the summer...

I am ..., it's cooked egg you eat?

hahaahahahahahhh
funny!
=)
Dat snap ik! :yep:
Neem het rustig aan. één voor één :smile:
("één voor één" is the expression for "one by one" or "one step at a time")

De taal der liefde!
(That's an old idiom from back when Dutch still used cases) "Die Sprache der Liebe" sound familiar? :wink:

Yeah, I understand die Sprache der Liebe. Not something usually associated with Dutch. Usually it's French but I honestly don't get that association
Yeah, I understand die Sprache der Liebe. Not something usually associated with Dutch. Usually it's French but I honestly don't get that association

But I thought all languages get that status during "pillow talk" ;D

:yep: De meeste mensen vinden Frans 'romantisch' en Nederlands 'lelijk' !

I need to work on my sarcasm skills :bigsmile:

Latest

Trending

Trending