The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4860
Original post by MusicGirlKH
I too have been distracting myself from an essay, so need to continue with that too. Have fun with your essays! I'll definitely let you know what my decision is when I know :smile: It would be nice to already know someone on a course I'd be doing!

I agree, it'd be great, enjoy your essaying too, talk soon :smile:
Original post by znh
Can a place retract an offer?

I got an offer on 10th January and they contacted me yesterday asking if I intend to accept the place. I honesty don't know and I'm waiting for my other interviews so what's the best thing to say without messing up the offer?

During my interview they did say they would prefer if I get in touch soon otherwise the place could be accepted by someone else.... can that happen?

I've just got a voice messages asking to ring them and I'm sure it'll be whether or not I am accepting the offer...

Help, please!!!!

That's insane! I wouldn't think they'd be allowed to do that! I don't know what to say though, someone else might be better telling you about that because I don't know what they are allowed and aren't allowed to do. Has it updated on track? Because I'm sure if it has updated on track they can't take that back, however if they have only sent it via email they might argue they can take that back.
Original post by znh
Can a place retract an offer?

I got an offer on 10th January and they contacted me yesterday asking if I intend to accept the place. I honesty don't know and I'm waiting for my other interviews so what's the best thing to say without messing up the offer?

During my interview they did say they would prefer if I get in touch soon otherwise the place could be accepted by someone else.... can that happen?

I've just got a voice messages asking to ring them and I'm sure it'll be whether or not I am accepting the offer...

Help, please!!!!

Hi there! I was in this exact situation through the whole of christmas and the start of Jan. I was offered a school direct place and they wanted me to accept it before the 10th December despite me informing them repeatedly that I was waiting on two other institutions.
They called and called me through till last monday, every time I basically said I am waiting and can't make that decision, they were not happy though as they didn't seem to understand how UCAS works.
They tried to get me to drop the place by saying perhaps it wasn't for me and that I wasn't committed to it enough, just because I was waiting to hear from other places. It made the excitement of getting the offer so awful.
So I rang UCAS just to check that they couldn't take it away (mine had updated to conditional on UCAS) and they said that once they have offered it to you they can't take it back until you reject the place.
So I basically fended them off until I heard from my other choice Durham that I had gotten in, quickly accepted and phoned the school to let them know that I would be taking the other place and all she said was 'Thought you might.'. It's totally rubbish that they are doing that to you, I thought it was just my school, (the school direct place was at my old school) who didn't have a clue how it works.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CM19
Well done! Don't want to hijack the thread with skills test talk but I thought I'd ask how you practiced since your method seems effective :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem! I bought the 'How to pass the qts numeracy and literacy skills tests' revision guide which runs through each of the topics which will appear, eg percentages, money, time, graphs etc. Then I used the online practise tests to gauge how well I'd understood everything. Anything I wasn't sure on (such as cumulative frequency) I typed into YouTube, there are loads of brilliant tutorials which talk you through step by step. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4864
Original post by Airfairy
That's insane! I wouldn't think they'd be allowed to do that! I don't know what to say though, someone else might be better telling you about that because I don't know what they are allowed and aren't allowed to do. Has it updated on track? Because I'm sure if it has updated on track they can't take that back, however if they have only sent it via email they might argue they can take that back.

It's updated on track, I received an email and a letter.

I really like the place but I still want to have my other interviews so I don't want to say I'm still considering, only for them to get annoyed.

Original post by Sarahn113
Hi there! I was in this exact situation through the whole of christmas and the start of Jan. I was offered a school direct place and they wanted me to accept it before the 10th December despite me informing them repeatedly that I was waiting on two other institutions.
They called and called me through till last monday, every time I basically said I am waiting and can't make that decision, they were not happy though as they didn't seem to understand how UCAS works.
They tried to get me to drop the place by saying perhaps it wasn't for me and that I wasn't committed to it enough, just because I was waiting to hear from other places. It made the excitement of getting the offer so awful.
So I rang UCAS just to check that they couldn't take it away (mine had updated to conditional on UCAS) and they said that once they have offered it to you they can't take it back until you reject the place.
So I basically fended them off until I heard from my other choice Durham that I had gotten in, quickly accepted and phoned the school to let them know that I would be taking the other place and all she said was 'Thought you might.'. It's totally rubbish that they are doing that to you, I thought it was just my school, (the school direct place was at my old school) who didn't have a clue how it works.

Thank you for replying, you've saved me from ringing UCAS!!

I might just reply to the call via email saying I'm very serious about accepting the offer but I'm still considering my options. Then avoid them...

It'll be a long wait though because my second interview isn't till 28th :s-smilie:.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4865
Finished my interviews yesterday and now i'm back to checking track every few hours to see if its updated!
Has anyone had responses from Bedford or BGU?
I have failed to get into the University of Manchester and Manchester Met, because of my interviews. The School direct place I applied for have also rejected me without an interview. I am absolutely devastated, guess I wasn't meant to be a teacher, that's three years of my life wasted :frown:
Original post by znh

Thank you for replying, you've saved me from ringing UCAS!!

I might just reply to the call via email saying I'm very serious about accepting the offer but I'm still considering my options. Then avoid them...

It'll be a long wait though because my second interview isn't till 28th :s-smilie:.

It's hard to say what would be best as you never know what they are going to say back. They kept asking me if I had a preference, basically which would I pick if I got an offer from Durham, which I thought was rather unprofessional since it puts me in a very awkward position. So I tried to be tactful when I replied and just said that if I got an offer from the other institution that might suit me better for my future prospects then I would accept it and then someone who might much prefer a school direct place could take that place.
I was trying to be nice when I said this so I didnt have to just come out and say well ill obviously pick Durham its such a well respected university and I would be honored that they would accept me. However I might as well have just said that because they just turned it around on me and said maybe then I wasn't committed to this placement and I didn't have the 'right level' of commitment for their place. I'm hoping whoever you are in communication with will be more understanding, I also tried to gently inform them that I have the right to wait until 10 days max after I've heard from all three of my choices before I have to give them a decision but I don't think they were really taking that in.
However you could definitely bring it up just so they know that you know how the system operates and you won't be pressured into anything. If in doubt though, do ring UCAS they were really sympathetic on the phone and could probably help you out if it gets worse. Best of luck xxxx
Original post by Airfairy
I've been waiting to hear back from one of my choices for about a month now. Really annoying seeing as I want to accept an offer. I know I could ring up and ask them to release me but I just want to know if they would have given me an offer or not :colondollar:

I feel the same, although I haven't been waiting anywhere near as long. Even though I know I am going to go with the one I have an offer from now, I am still interested to see how I did at the other interview!
Original post by boggleman
I have failed to get into the University of Manchester and Manchester Met, because of my interviews. The School direct place I applied for have also rejected me without an interview. I am absolutely devastated, guess I wasn't meant to be a teacher, that's three years of my life wasted :frown:

I'm so sorry to hear that, I can imagine that you're feeling utterly devastated right now. Can I ask, did you get any feedback from the universities on why they rejected you? Why do you feel you've wasted three years?

I know it's difficult to think positively right now, but try to take a step back and think about things objectively. It's still worth applying via the Apply 2 route, as you never know what might happen. You got two interviews in Apply 1, so your qualifications, experience and personal statement must be pretty good. THere is no reason why you wouldn't get an interview in Apply 2. If you can get some feedback on your interview technique, then you'll be able to work on that for your next set of interviews. God luck!
Ah I'm becoming a nervous wreck checking track every half hour :frown: I just wanna know already and I don't think ill hear anything else before Monday :frown:
Original post by nimgreen
Hiya! I was there too and still haven't heard anything.. They did say up to 10 days but the wait is killing me I hoped we would have heard by now!

Was anybody at Leeds Uni Primary PGCE interview last Thurs and have you heard back?x

I was at primary pgce interview last thursday and ive not heard anything yet. have you? x
Original post by Fabay
I was at Leeds uni primary last Thursday and i haven't heard back yet.. Have you? I just want to know!

Posted from TSR Mobile

leeds met or leeds trinity?
i was at leeds trinity last thur and heard nothing yet
Original post by MS90

How did you find it? I really enjoyed it actually, has made me slightly less sure of which is my first choice! If I get in I guess I have a big decision to make. Lol.
Original post by s.of
Thank you...well done on your interview :smile: I'm not really sure how much I'm allowed to say on here but I'll do my best to help you and not break any rules!

The group activities are nothing to worry about, they're quite engaging and dare I say enjoyable :tongue: just make sure you speak enough but not too much...balance! What article were you given to read? The individual interview was quite intense for me...I gave my presentation about reading so they pushed me with questions about a subject I didn't have much experience with! Don't worry about this as they just want to see that you can give an intelligent and honest answer! They engage with you a lot which is good as you don't feel as if you are talking to yourself. It is an intense couple of hours but overall enjoyable relaxed as the interviewers are so nice, there will be 4-5 of them there on the day!

I'm not sure how much this helps, I hope it does :smile:

Thank you! :-) don't feel quite so nervous now! I was given the 'thinking about thinking' article.
Original post by rainbowworld
Mines on Friday the 24th! Same! Really unsure about what I am going to do for the presentation and how much preparation I need to do for the article! But I have an exam Friday and essay Monday so won't really be looking at it until after then. Have you taken your skills test yet? I won't have done mine, have them booked for the 27th/28th so hope it doesn't go against me! Can I ask what university you attend at the moment - I'm imagining it being me and loads of current Cambridge students! I also have no idea how I am getting there as my interview starts at 9am and I am coming from Southampton and there is no train that will get me there on time so might have to spend the night before in Cambridge!

I think that will be fine, you still have a few days to prepare which should be okay. I haven't taken my skills tests yet, I've got mine on the 27th and 29th. I don't think it will go against us. I had university exams so would have been a nightmare preparing for those and my uni exams! I attend Anglia Ruskin in Cambridge which hasn't got a very good rep so I wouldn't worry. Just remember they chose us for a reason :-) Yeah if I were you'd I'd stay overnight just to be sure. I have an interview with Oxford Brookes on the 24th and I'm staying overnight. You never know what traffic will be like, etc. What uni are you studying at?
Original post by joker01
Hey, Has anyone had/got interviews for University of Worcester and Birmingham City University? For Primary PGCE. .

How long after you applied did you get your interview request? I have had nothing but a 'Thanks for applying' email...

Also, has anyone heard anything back from Wolverhampton Uni? They requested more information about my work experience but nothing else since...
Reply 4877
Original post by jezzabezza92
leeds met or leeds trinity?
i was at leeds trinity last thur and heard nothing yet

I was at uni of leeds and heard back on Wednesday ..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4878
How important is it to have a national curriculum degree or national curriculum a levels for a primary pgce? I'm considering applying next year but don't have either :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
anyone starting the Social Science PGCE at the Ioe ?

Latest

Trending

Trending